Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: SMH on Salesforce-Oracle
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 06/26/2013 06:08 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 06:38:04PM -0400, Ned Lilly wrote:
>> Anyone have any insight into what's going on with this
>> Salesforce-Oracle love connection?  Seems kind of odd to hire Tom
>> and a bunch of other guys, then announce a 9-year commitment to
>> Oracle a few weeks later....
>
> Well, logic suggests that Salesforce was considering moving to Postgres
> but, either because they got a good deal from Oracle or they were just
> bluffing about moving to Postgres, they are no longer considering it.
> The size, scope, publicity, and duration of the deal support this
> conclusion:
>
>     http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/1964798
>
> The press release specifically mentions Oracle Database.
>
> Of course, there might be some other conclusion, logical or illogical,
> but I can't think of one.

As someone else suggested, it is a chess game. Salesforce is currently
an Oracle shop. All the cat fighting aside, they need to maintain a
relationship with Oracle for the foreseeable future. Oracle released
earnings on June 20th and their stock immediately tanked 8%+. They need
to show forward momentum. The market specifically called out their lack
of success in making more money with the hardware assets they got from
Sun and their trailing the trend to cloud computing. Not surprisingly
the deals they have been touting recently address both those issues.
Notably lacking in the press releases/stories are any hard numbers on
actual dollar amounts involved, so I would definitely take a wait and
see attitude.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com