Fate of Pop-Up Booth Display

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

For the past few years, we've been using a pop-up booth display to give
PostgreSQL community booths a professional, polished look.  We purchased
it using about $1800 worth of community money, and it's served us well
in at least 15 conference appearances, probably more.

However, it's starting to wear out and I'm not sure we want to
replace/repair it. One of the "feet" broke off at PyCon, its travelling
case has damaged wheels and latch.  Moreover, it's expensive/difficult
to transport, and it's bulky/annoying to store for whomeever ends up
with it.

In the meantime, custom vinyl banner printing has become both better
quality and cheaper.  I'm thinking that it may be time to retire the
pop-up display and switch to using large vinyl banners for community
booths.  These can be customized for the time period (like a 9.3 banner
for next fall, or a Postgres+Python banner for PyCon, etc.), can be as
large as a full booth wall, and are much easier to ship, transport and
store.

Thoughts?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Re: Fate of Pop-Up Booth Display

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
On 03/18/2013 06:24 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Folks,
>
> For the past few years, we've been using a pop-up booth display to give
> PostgreSQL community booths a professional, polished look.  We purchased
> it using about $1800 worth of community money, and it's served us well
> in at least 15 conference appearances, probably more.
>
> However, it's starting to wear out and I'm not sure we want to
> replace/repair it. One of the "feet" broke off at PyCon, its travelling
> case has damaged wheels and latch.  Moreover, it's expensive/difficult
> to transport, and it's bulky/annoying to store for whomeever ends up
> with it.
>
> In the meantime, custom vinyl banner printing has become both better
> quality and cheaper.  I'm thinking that it may be time to retire the
> pop-up display and switch to using large vinyl banners for community
> booths.  These can be customized for the time period (like a 9.3 banner
> for next fall, or a Postgres+Python banner for PyCon, etc.), can be as
> large as a full booth wall, and are much easier to ship, transport and
> store.
>
> Thoughts?

I find this... actually sad. We have toted that thing all over the
United States for the last what... 4 years?

The vinyl banner idea certainly is cheaper in the short run.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579

Re: Fate of Pop-Up Booth Display

From
Christophe Pettus
Date:
On Mar 18, 2013, at 6:24 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Thoughts?

Realistically, can a vinyl banner be hung in an arbitrary environment nicely?  I'm concerned we'd get to an event and
discoverwe have no practical way of mounting it.

--
-- Christophe Pettus
   xof@thebuild.com

Re: Fate of Pop-Up Booth Display

From
Stephen Frost
Date:
* Christophe Pettus (xof@thebuild.com) wrote:
> On Mar 18, 2013, at 6:24 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Thoughts?
>
> Realistically, can a vinyl banner be hung in an arbitrary environment nicely?  I'm concerned we'd get to an event and
discoverwe have no practical way of mounting it.

I had assumed we'd also get a retractable banner stand.  They're pretty
inexpensive and portable.

    Thanks,

        Stephen

Attachment

Date:
> Realistically, can a vinyl banner be hung in an arbitrary environment
> nicely?  I'm concerned we'd get to an event and discover we have no
> practical way of mounting it.

We would more frequently be ordering new banners for specific
conferences, in order to handle specific booth configurations.  However,
a new banner is $75 to $200, as opposed to a replacement pop-up, which
would be $1800. That is, we could realistically order around 12-14
different banners for the cost of replacing our pop-up.

I'll point out that SCALE, LISA and PyCON all gave us 10x10 booths, and
could have used the same banners.

For those of you who were at PyCon, Revsys demonstrated what could be
done with vinyl banners these days.  They had a really cool triple booth
with a full wall of "jungle" banners behind them.

--

Date:
On 03/19/2013 11:51 AM, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> Realistically, can a vinyl banner be hung in an arbitrary environment
>> nicely?  I'm concerned we'd get to an event and discover we have no
>> practical way of mounting it.
>
> We would more frequently be ordering new banners for specific
> conferences, in order to handle specific booth configurations.  However,
> a new banner is $75 to $200, as opposed to a replacement pop-up, which
> would be $1800. That is, we could realistically order around 12-14
> different banners for the cost of replacing our pop-up.

Money really isn't the equation here. Let's remember how much the pop-up
served us. I am not actually against a vinyl banner. I am just saying
that dollars to dollars a popup makes more sense.

Date:
> Money really isn't the equation here. Let's remember how much the pop-up
> served us. I am not actually against a vinyl banner. I am just saying
> that dollars to dollars a popup makes more sense.

Not if you include the cost of shipping it, which runs from $60 to $100
each time we do it.  I'd estimate that we've spent more money shipping
the thing around than we spent buying it.

I'll also admit that one of the reasons I want to ditch it is that I
have it right now, and don't want to store it.  I really have no place
in my small SF office for a 4'x2'x2' big black ugly plastic tube.

Overall, I think it was a good idea to try once, and served us well for
several years.  However, the thing is bulky, hard to transport, and we
can't use it at half the conferences we attend.  I'm ready to move on to
different display technology.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.