is there any policy on event sponsors?

From
"Jaime Casanova"
Date:
Hi,

Not sure if this is the right list for this but...

I'm planning (and this time it seems i will success) a PGDay in Ecuador,
after a few tries this time it seems there is enough interest so people
will assist and some will talk, and i could even get some government support ...

now, someone working on MS's interoperatibility team has offered a talk
about interoperatibility of PG with MS's tools (talk that i will accept)
and a sponsorship for the event from MS. Now, in this last point i'm not
so sure about what to do... my feelings say no, but that's just an
alergic reaction instead of a reasonable one.

So, do we have some policy about this kind of things? or is just the event's
organizer decision?

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL

Re: is there any policy on event sponsors?

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Saturday, June 25, 2011, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is the right list for this but...
>
> I'm planning (and this time it seems i will success) a PGDay in Ecuador,
> after a few tries this time it seems there is enough interest so people
> will assist and some will talk, and i could even get some government support ...
>
> now, someone working on MS's interoperatibility team has offered a talk
> about interoperatibility of PG with MS's tools (talk that i will accept)
> and a sponsorship for the event from MS. Now, in this last point i'm not
> so sure about what to do... my feelings say no, but that's just an
> alergic reaction instead of a reasonable one.
>
> So, do we have some policy about this kind of things? or is just the event's
> organizer decision?

It's up to the event organiser. Personally though I believe with a
handful of exceptions, any sponsorship from major companies is a good
thing for the project. It boosts our image and credibility in the eyes
of people outside the community.

An example of a company I would consider an exception to that would be SCO.

In the case of Microsoft, they have previously supported us by giving
us licences for Windows and Visual Studio - and remember they are a
big company with lots of business units, many of which are interested
in supporting all popular DBMSs, not just their own (i imagine thats
particularly the case for the interop guys).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Re: is there any policy on event sponsors?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Saturday, June 25, 2011, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Not sure if this is the right list for this but...
>>
>> I'm planning (and this time it seems i will success) a PGDay in Ecuador,
>> after a few tries this time it seems there is enough interest so people
>> will assist and some will talk, and i could even get some government support ...
>>
>> now, someone working on MS's interoperatibility team has offered a talk
>> about interoperatibility of PG with MS's tools (talk that i will accept)
>> and a sponsorship for the event from MS. Now, in this last point i'm not
>> so sure about what to do... my feelings say no, but that's just an
>> alergic reaction instead of a reasonable one.
>>
>> So, do we have some policy about this kind of things? or is just the event's
>> organizer decision?
>
> It's up to the event organiser. Personally though I believe with a
> handful of exceptions, any sponsorship from major companies is a good
> thing for the project. It boosts our image and credibility in the eyes
> of people outside the community.
>
> An example of a company I would consider an exception to that would be SCO.
>
> In the case of Microsoft, they have previously supported us by giving
> us licences for Windows and Visual Studio - and remember they are a
> big company with lots of business units, many of which are interested
> in supporting all popular DBMSs, not just their own (i imagine thats
> particularly the case for the interop guys).

+1 to Dave's thoughts here. This talk proposal actually sounds
potentially useful, and we certainly have a wide number of users who
work with Postgres and some part of the Windows stack, so I think
fostering that relationship is probably a good thing; if it were me,
I'd be happy to have the talk and the sponsorship.

Robert Treat
play: http://xzilla.net
work: http://omniti.com

Re: is there any policy on event sponsors?

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On 06/25/2011 07:11 AM, Dave Page wrote:
> An example of a company I would consider an exception to that would be
> SCO.

Little known bit of my personal history:  my switching to full-time
PostgreSQL work was financed by a six month sabbatical paid for by a
windfall from shorting SCO stock.  If anyone manages to get money from
SCO for sponsoring a PostgreSQL conference, I'll match their sponsorship
if you let me have a 15-minute keynote spot telling the story of how it
happened.  Just make sure their check clears first.

Re: is there any policy on event sponsors?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 20:09, Robert Treat <rob@xzilla.net> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
>> On Saturday, June 25, 2011, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Not sure if this is the right list for this but...
>>>
>>> I'm planning (and this time it seems i will success) a PGDay in Ecuador,
>>> after a few tries this time it seems there is enough interest so people
>>> will assist and some will talk, and i could even get some government support ...
>>>
>>> now, someone working on MS's interoperatibility team has offered a talk
>>> about interoperatibility of PG with MS's tools (talk that i will accept)
>>> and a sponsorship for the event from MS. Now, in this last point i'm not
>>> so sure about what to do... my feelings say no, but that's just an
>>> alergic reaction instead of a reasonable one.
>>>
>>> So, do we have some policy about this kind of things? or is just the event's
>>> organizer decision?
>>
>> It's up to the event organiser. Personally though I believe with a
>> handful of exceptions, any sponsorship from major companies is a good
>> thing for the project. It boosts our image and credibility in the eyes
>> of people outside the community.
>>
>> An example of a company I would consider an exception to that would be SCO.
>>
>> In the case of Microsoft, they have previously supported us by giving
>> us licences for Windows and Visual Studio - and remember they are a
>> big company with lots of business units, many of which are interested
>> in supporting all popular DBMSs, not just their own (i imagine thats
>> particularly the case for the interop guys).
>>

> +1 to Dave's thoughts here. This talk proposal actually sounds
> potentially useful, and we certainly have a wide number of users who
> work with Postgres and some part of the Windows stack, so I think
> fostering that relationship is probably a good thing; if it were me,
> I'd be happy to have the talk and the sponsorship.

+1 as well.

I might be a little bit concerned with the "image" if MS was the
*only* sponsor, but not otherwise.

As for the talk, I'd definitely accept it (assuming the abstract looks
good, but it sounds like it does)

--
 Magnus Hagander
 Me: http://www.hagander.net/

Re: is there any policy on event sponsors?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Greg,

> Little known bit of my personal history:  my switching to full-time
> PostgreSQL work was financed by a six month sabbatical paid for by a
> windfall from shorting SCO stock.  If anyone manages to get money from
> SCO for sponsoring a PostgreSQL conference, I'll match their sponsorship
> if you let me have a 15-minute keynote spot telling the story of how it
> happened.  Just make sure their check clears first.

The UnixWare team used to contribute to PostgreSQL.  When there *was* a
UnixWare team, of course.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.