Re: is there any policy on event sponsors? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: is there any policy on event sponsors?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Sat, Jun 25, 2011 at 7:11 AM, Dave Page <dpage@pgadmin.org> wrote:
> On Saturday, June 25, 2011, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Not sure if this is the right list for this but...
>>
>> I'm planning (and this time it seems i will success) a PGDay in Ecuador,
>> after a few tries this time it seems there is enough interest so people
>> will assist and some will talk, and i could even get some government support ...
>>
>> now, someone working on MS's interoperatibility team has offered a talk
>> about interoperatibility of PG with MS's tools (talk that i will accept)
>> and a sponsorship for the event from MS. Now, in this last point i'm not
>> so sure about what to do... my feelings say no, but that's just an
>> alergic reaction instead of a reasonable one.
>>
>> So, do we have some policy about this kind of things? or is just the event's
>> organizer decision?
>
> It's up to the event organiser. Personally though I believe with a
> handful of exceptions, any sponsorship from major companies is a good
> thing for the project. It boosts our image and credibility in the eyes
> of people outside the community.
>
> An example of a company I would consider an exception to that would be SCO.
>
> In the case of Microsoft, they have previously supported us by giving
> us licences for Windows and Visual Studio - and remember they are a
> big company with lots of business units, many of which are interested
> in supporting all popular DBMSs, not just their own (i imagine thats
> particularly the case for the interop guys).

+1 to Dave's thoughts here. This talk proposal actually sounds
potentially useful, and we certainly have a wide number of users who
work with Postgres and some part of the Windows stack, so I think
fostering that relationship is probably a good thing; if it were me,
I'd be happy to have the talk and the sponsorship.

Robert Treat
play: http://xzilla.net
work: http://omniti.com