Re: is there any policy on event sponsors? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dave Page
Subject Re: is there any policy on event sponsors?
Date
Re: is there any policy on event sponsors?
List pgsql-advocacy
On Saturday, June 25, 2011, Jaime Casanova <jaime@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Not sure if this is the right list for this but...
>
> I'm planning (and this time it seems i will success) a PGDay in Ecuador,
> after a few tries this time it seems there is enough interest so people
> will assist and some will talk, and i could even get some government support ...
>
> now, someone working on MS's interoperatibility team has offered a talk
> about interoperatibility of PG with MS's tools (talk that i will accept)
> and a sponsorship for the event from MS. Now, in this last point i'm not
> so sure about what to do... my feelings say no, but that's just an
> alergic reaction instead of a reasonable one.
>
> So, do we have some policy about this kind of things? or is just the event's
> organizer decision?

It's up to the event organiser. Personally though I believe with a
handful of exceptions, any sponsorship from major companies is a good
thing for the project. It boosts our image and credibility in the eyes
of people outside the community.

An example of a company I would consider an exception to that would be SCO.

In the case of Microsoft, they have previously supported us by giving
us licences for Windows and Visual Studio - and remember they are a
big company with lots of business units, many of which are interested
in supporting all popular DBMSs, not just their own (i imagine thats
particularly the case for the interop guys).

--
Dave Page
Blog: http://pgsnake.blogspot.com

The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company