EnterpriseDB OneClick Installer Broken

From
Joshua Kramer
Date:
Ok, I know this isn't strictly an 'advocacy' issue, but it is something
that could reflect badly upon PG.

In the EnterpriseDB OneClick Windows installer, the password handling does
not work.  On the initial password entry, where it says 'if you do not
enter a password, one will be created for you'... if you don't enter a
password, it complains that you didn't enter a password.  I deleted the
postgres Windows account from the previous 8.3 install.

Also, after installation, when I try to connect to my new installation
with pgAdminIII, I can't connect... it never sets the 'postgresql' user
password in the database.  Or if it does, it doesn't tell me what that
password is.  It's not the same as the password entered in the step above.
To connect, I have to edit pg_hba.conf, set localhost auth to 'trust',
change the password, and then reset localhost auth to 'md5'.

Cheers,
-Josh

--

-----
http://www.globalherald.net/jb01

Re: EnterpriseDB OneClick Installer Broken

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:26 PM, Joshua Kramer<josh@globalherald.net> wrote:

> Ok, I know this isn't strictly an 'advocacy' issue, but it is something that
> could reflect badly upon PG.
>
> In the EnterpriseDB OneClick Windows installer, the password handling does
> not work.  On the initial password entry, where it says 'if you do not enter
> a password, one will be created for you'... if you don't enter a password,
> it complains that you didn't enter a password.  I deleted the postgres
> Windows account from the previous 8.3 install.

Please read the message more carefully before complaining that we're
bringing PostgreSQL into disrepute - that is *not* what it says.

What it actually does say is:

===
Please provide a password for the database superuser and service
account (postgres). If the service account already exists in Windows,
you must enter the current password for the account. If the account
does not exist, it will be created when you click 'Next'.
===

> Also, after installation, when I try to connect to my new installation with
> pgAdminIII, I can't connect... it never sets the 'postgresql' user password
> in the database.  Or if it does, it doesn't tell me what that password is.

There is no 'postgresql' user, it's 'postgres'. The installer uses
initdb's --pwfile option to ensure it gets set to whatever you entered
previously. Between the the hundreds of test run installs we've done,
and the hundreds of thousands of copies people have downloaded, I'm
confident a major bug such as you describe would have been reported
already.

>  It's not the same as the password entered in the step above. To connect, I
> have to edit pg_hba.conf, set localhost auth to 'trust', change the
> password, and then reset localhost auth to 'md5'.

It's not beyond the realms of possibility that you have encountered a
corner-case bug though. Any non-alphanumeric characters in the
password you're using? Also of course, the normal questions about
whether your initial password entry might have been affected by
inadvertent use of caps lock or num lock must be asked.

--
Dave Page

Re: EnterpriseDB OneClick Installer Broken

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Euler Taveira de
Oliveira<euler@timbira.com> wrote:
> Dave, maybe I missed it but are there technical reasons for not maintaining
> the pginstaller for >= 8.4?

Numerous - but to break it down to the bare essentials: it's *much*
harder to build and maintain. Building a single release with no
problems can easily take half a day (that doesn't scale with lots of
back branches) and it's far harder to debug when something goes wrong.
In fact, it can be practically impossible sometimes, especially if the
user isn't experienced debugging windows installer problems.

The build system for the one-click packages is 100% automated, for all
100+ packages that are built, and we can easily debug and even test
individual parts of the installer if problems show up on a users
machine, even if they have very little experience.

--
Dave Page

Re: EnterpriseDB OneClick Installer Broken

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Euler Taveira de
Oliveira<euler@timbira.com> wrote:
> If not, we
> should maintain the directory 'binary/8.4.0/windows' and add a README file
> pointing out to the EDB URL.

Done - thanks.

--
Dave Page

Re: EnterpriseDB OneClick Installer Broken

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 03 July 2009 04:06:15 Dave Page wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 4:47 AM, Euler Taveira de
>
> Oliveira<euler@timbira.com> wrote:
> > If not, we
> > should maintain the directory 'binary/8.4.0/windows' and add a README
> > file pointing out to the EDB URL.
>
> Done - thanks.

ISTR at pgcon discussing documenting the old process on the Postgres wiki, in
case someone wanted to build thier own. Did that ever get done? If so can we
point to that as well?

--
Robert Treat
Conjecture: http://www.xzilla.net

Re: EnterpriseDB OneClick Installer Broken

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 6:23 PM, Robert
Treat<xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> ISTR at pgcon discussing documenting the old process on the Postgres wiki, in
> case someone wanted to build thier own. Did that ever get done? If so can we
> point to that as well?

That wasn't something I recall discussing with anyone. A couple of
people asked the question of whether others would be able to build it,
to which I replied that the instructions are in the CVS repo.

--
Dave Page

Re: EnterpriseDB OneClick Installer Broken

From
Thomas Kellerer
Date:
Joshua Kramer wrote on 02.07.2009 19:26:

> Also, after installation, when I try to connect to my new installation
> with pgAdminIII, I can't connect... it never sets the 'postgresql' user
> password in the database.  Or if it does, it doesn't tell me what that
> password is.  It's not the same as the password entered in the step
> above. To connect, I have to edit pg_hba.conf, set localhost auth to
> 'trust', change the password, and then reset localhost auth to 'md5'.

In my case it *was* the password I entered for the service account, which I
found a bit confusing.

I'm not sure whether that dialog box actually mentioned that the same password
was used for the postgres super user and the service account.

In my case the service account already existed, I don't know if that makes a
difference

Thomas

Date:
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 7:49 PM, Thomas Kellerer<spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:

> In my case it *was* the password I entered for the service account, which I
> found a bit confusing.
>
> I'm not sure whether that dialog box actually mentioned that the same
> password was used for the postgres super user and the service account.

It does:

Please provide a password for the database superuser and service
account (postgres)....

> In my case the service account already existed, I don't know if that makes a
> difference

On Windows, it means you must reuse the current password. You can of
course, update the superuser password later in psql or pgAdmin. On
Linux & Mac we don't set a service account password so it'll just use
the password specified for the superuser regardless.

--
Dave Page

Date:
> I'm not sure whether that dialog box actually mentioned that the same
> password was used for the postgres super user and the service account.

Actually, the new dialog box does in fact mention that the service user
and postgres database user are the same password.  The problem is that
some of us (we know who we are :) ) have been using the other PG installer
forever, and its behavior is different.

On a related note, from a security standpoint, having the Windows account
'postgresql' and the postgres database user have the same password is,
IMHO, a bad thing.  However, I could see how this would be useful, and it
is easy to change the password.  This is still more secure than the
default installations of other Windows applications.

--

-----