Re: EnterpriseDB OneClick Installer Broken - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dave Page
Subject Re: EnterpriseDB OneClick Installer Broken
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:27 PM, Euler Taveira de
Oliveira<euler@timbira.com> wrote:
> Dave, maybe I missed it but are there technical reasons for not maintaining
> the pginstaller for >= 8.4?

Numerous - but to break it down to the bare essentials: it's *much*
harder to build and maintain. Building a single release with no
problems can easily take half a day (that doesn't scale with lots of
back branches) and it's far harder to debug when something goes wrong.
In fact, it can be practically impossible sometimes, especially if the
user isn't experienced debugging windows installer problems.

The build system for the one-click packages is 100% automated, for all
100+ packages that are built, and we can easily debug and even test
individual parts of the installer if problems show up on a users
machine, even if they have very little experience.

--
Dave Page