Binaries vs Source

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
Binary package from www.postgresql.org      121      33.799%
Through operating system update tool     127     35.475%
~66%

Compile from source      98      27.374%

Hmmm, are we doing something with this information? I am not an expert
at all, but I reccon that these numbers are at least a surprise to me.

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 10:42:51 -0700
"Guido Barosio" <gbarosio@gmail.com> wrote:

> Binary package from www.postgresql.org      121      33.799%
> Through operating system update tool     127     35.475%
> ~66%
>
> Compile from source      98      27.374%
>
> Hmmm, are we doing something with this information? I am not an expert
> at all, but I reccon that these numbers are at least a surprise to me.

Why is it a surprise?

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
Joshua,

*... a surprise to me* ---> Though *compile* would beat other methods.

gb.-

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Tue, 9 Sep 2008 11:02:06 -0700
"Guido Barosio" <gbarosio@gmail.com> wrote:

> Joshua,
>
> *... a surprise to me* ---> Though *compile* would beat other methods.

Oh.. actually I would find it very surprising if compile from source
won.

Sincerely,
Joshua D. Drake

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
Naz
Date:
Joshua Drake wrote:
 > Oh.. actually I would find it very surprising if compile from source

Given that PG does not do in-place upgrades, I don't see a benefit to
using binary packages. Upgrading a source install is as easy as
upgrading a binary install given you have to do a dump/restore anyway.

Or am I missing something?

- Naz.

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
Peter Eisentraut
Naz wrote:
> Joshua Drake wrote:
>  > Oh.. actually I would find it very surprising if compile from source
>
> Given that PG does not do in-place upgrades, I don't see a benefit to
> using binary packages. Upgrading a source install is as easy as
> upgrading a binary install given you have to do a dump/restore anyway.
>
> Or am I missing something?

The upgrading might not be different, but the *installing* is much
simpler.  With apt/yum/ports you can have PostgreSQL installed with
literally 5 seconds of work and 2 minutes of waiting.  With a source
install, you need to download, unpack, install dependencies, configure
with all the options, make install, set up paths, set up data directory,
initdb, write or obtain start script, set up start script, set up log
files, set up log rotation, and other things.  Even thinking up that
list takes longer than a binary install.  And you cannot do these things
in less than 10 minutes, and if you are a first-time or occasional user,
then it will probably take you an hour or more to do it properly.

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
Joshua Drake
Date:
On Wed, 10 Sep 2008 12:48:29 +0300
Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:

> Naz wrote:
> > Joshua Drake wrote:
> >  > Oh.. actually I would find it very surprising if compile from
> >  > source

And you break dependencies (from source).

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 10:42 -0700, Guido Barosio wrote:
> Binary package from www.postgresql.org          121     33.799%

We have 2000+ users in yum repository ;)

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Attachment

Re: [pgsql-www] Binaries vs Source

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Devrim GÜNDÜZ wrote:
> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 10:42 -0700, Guido Barosio wrote:
>> Binary package from www.postgresql.org          121     33.799%
>
> We have 2000+ users in yum repository ;)

We certainly had more than 121 downloads ;-) These are people who voted
on the survey, if that wasn't clear....

//Magnus

Date:
On Wed, 2008-09-10 at 22:41 +0200, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> These are people who voted
> on the survey, if that wasn't clear....

One of them was me :-P

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Re: Binaries vs Source

Date:
Devrim G�ND�Z wrote:
-- Start of PGP signed section.
> On Tue, 2008-09-09 at 10:42 -0700, Guido Barosio wrote:
> > Binary package from www.postgresql.org          121     33.799%
>
> We have 2000+ users in yum repository ;)

These changes have _got_ to be increasing adoption;  I only wish we had
made non-source downloads easier earlier.

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
"Jaime Casanova"
Date:
On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 4:48 AM, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net> wrote:
> Naz wrote:
>>
>> Joshua Drake wrote:
>>  > Oh.. actually I would find it very surprising if compile from source
>>
>> Given that PG does not do in-place upgrades, I don't see a benefit to
>> using binary packages. Upgrading a source install is as easy as upgrading a
>> binary install given you have to do a dump/restore anyway.
>>
>> Or am I missing something?
>
> The upgrading might not be different, but the *installing* is much simpler.
>  With apt/yum/ports you can have PostgreSQL installed with literally 5
> seconds of work and 2 minutes of waiting.  With a source install, you need
> to download, unpack, install dependencies, configure with all the options,
> make install, set up paths, set up data directory, initdb, write or obtain
> start script, set up start script, set up log files, set up log rotation,
> and other things.  Even thinking up that list takes longer than a binary
> install.  And you cannot do these things in less than 10 minutes, and if you
> are a first-time or occasional user, then it will probably take you an hour
> or more to do it properly.

OTOH, if you install from sources you can install patches as soon as
they are committed... then you can always have your installation at
the most recent minor version... and of course more protected from
bugs.

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 20:52 -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:

> OTOH, if you install from sources you can install patches as soon as
> they are committed... then you can always have your installation at
> the most recent minor version... and of course more protected from
> bugs.

Heh :) So you assume that the patches are well-tested before committing,
and they have no bugs?

...also what you wrote can be done easily with the binary packages.
--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Attachment

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
"Jaime Casanova"
Date:
On Tue, Sep 23, 2008 at 12:52 PM, Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim@gunduz.org> wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-09-22 at 20:52 -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
>>
>> OTOH, if you install from sources you can install patches as soon as
>> they are committed... then you can always have your installation at
>> the most recent minor version... and of course more protected from
>> bugs.
>
> Heh :) So you assume that the patches are well-tested before committing,
> and they have no bugs?

eh! i was thinking in bug fixes...

> ...also what you wrote can be done easily with the binary packages.

really? how? at least i think i'll have to wait until the binary
package to be released

--
regards,
Jaime Casanova
Soporte y capacitación de PostgreSQL
Asesoría y desarrollo de sistemas
Guayaquil - Ecuador
Cel. +59387171157

Re: Binaries vs Source

From
Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Date:
Hi,

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 09:02 -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> > ...also what you wrote can be done easily with the binary packages.
>
> really? how? at least i think i'll have to wait until the binary
> package to be released

The RPM infrastructure for yum.pgsqlrpms.org lets people build their
packages on their servers. All you need is to checkout SVN, enter
relevant directory (for example, redhat/8.3/postgresql/EL-5) and run

make build

there. You will need to install rpmdevtools package to use this feature.
It downloads tarballs, and builds RPMs.

If you want to build a snapshot tarball, here is a basic procedure that
I use on my laptop to generate 8.4devel tarballs:

https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pgcore/wiki/PostgreSQLCVSSnapshotTarballHowTo

I'm using that script. Just edit it and make it 8.3.4-2 (or such)
whenever you want. Edit RPM specfile, and then you are good to go.

Actually I have a *plan* to build weekly snaphots of stable branches,
but I'm waiting for governments to extend a day from 24 hours to 30
hours for that. It is doable with yum -- like using "pgdg83-testing"
channel or so.

Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE
                   http://www.gunduz.org

Attachment