Re: Binaries vs Source - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Devrim GÜNDÜZ
Subject Re: Binaries vs Source
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Hi,

On Wed, 2008-09-24 at 09:02 -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> > ...also what you wrote can be done easily with the binary packages.
>
> really? how? at least i think i'll have to wait until the binary
> package to be released

The RPM infrastructure for yum.pgsqlrpms.org lets people build their
packages on their servers. All you need is to checkout SVN, enter
relevant directory (for example, redhat/8.3/postgresql/EL-5) and run

make build

there. You will need to install rpmdevtools package to use this feature.
It downloads tarballs, and builds RPMs.

If you want to build a snapshot tarball, here is a basic procedure that
I use on my laptop to generate 8.4devel tarballs:

https://projects.commandprompt.com/public/pgcore/wiki/PostgreSQLCVSSnapshotTarballHowTo

I'm using that script. Just edit it and make it 8.3.4-2 (or such)
whenever you want. Edit RPM specfile, and then you are good to go.

Actually I have a *plan* to build weekly snaphots of stable branches,
but I'm waiting for governments to extend a day from 24 hours to 30
hours for that. It is doable with yum -- like using "pgdg83-testing"
channel or so.

Regards,

--
Devrim GÜNDÜZ, RHCE