User group liaison

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: User group liaison

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Jan 16, 2008 2:46 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> That said, I would also like to nominate Selena Deckelmann for the
> position. I have been working with Selena for about 2 years on various
> advocacy projects and she has proven, if nothing else, the ability to
> put up with me but has also shown a great attention to detail and an
> ability to get people to open up to ideas so we can execute our goals
> fully.

I am honored and would love to take on this role.

Working with the PostgreSQL community is a joy. I love getting
together with the PDXPUG members every month, and advocating here in
Portland on behalf of PostgreSQL.  I am so excited for all the new
groups, and can't wait to see what they have in store this coming
year.

Thank you!

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group

Re: User group liaison

From
David Fetter
Date:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:46:22PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I would like to offer the suggestion that we create a user group
> liaison position within the community. This wouldn't be out of line
> as we already have regional contacts for various geographic
> locations.

Sounds like a great idea.  Having a point of contact for PUGs would be
very, very nice, as they start out a bit at sea.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

Re: User group liaison

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

> I am honored and would love to take on this role.

+1

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: User group liaison

From
Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
Date:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008 14:46:22 -0800 Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> I would like to offer the suggestion that we create a user group
> liaison position within the community. This wouldn't be out of line as
> we already have regional contacts for various geographic locations.

+1

This is a good idea.

Kind regards

--
                Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
German PostgreSQL User Group

Re: User group liaison

From
"Roth, Gabrielle"
Date:
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> That said, I would also like to nominate Selena Deckelmann for the
> position. I have been working with Selena for about 2 years on various
> advocacy projects and she has proven, if nothing else, the ability to
> put up with me but has also shown a great attention to detail and an
> ability to get people to open up to ideas so we can execute our goals
> fully.

+1.

- gabrielle -

Re: User group liaison

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:46:22PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to offer the suggestion that we create a user group
> liaison position within the community. This wouldn't be out of line as
> we already have regional contacts for various geographic locations.
>
> The user group liaison would be responsible for the following:
>
> Investigating new user group potential based on geographic interest.
>
> Assisting established user groups with communicated with the larger
> community.

Sounds good.

> Assisting established user groups to get the resources they need for
> events and meetings that they are being organized by the group.

Doesn't the SPI liaison guy do this already?

> This may need to be a regional position, with individual people for
> Europe, North America, Japan and other regions.

Not sure about this part. If it's european, what would be the difference
between said person and the pg-eu group? (other than the headcount)

> That said, I would also like to nominate Selena Deckelmann for the
> position. I have been working with Selena for about 2 years on various
> advocacy projects and she has proven, if nothing else, the ability to
> put up with me but has also shown a great attention to detail and an
> ability to get people to open up to ideas so we can execute our goals
> fully.

I can't comment on Selena at all, since I've almost never seen her post anything
until very recently on any of the global lists. Could be just me missing
things of course (I can't claim to fully read all the mails coming through
on the lists, though I try as much as I can to at least browse the
threads), but I did also poll a couple of others on IM. Again, nothing
against Selena at all, but shouldn't a community liaison be someone who's
been active in the community for a while?

> Some of the things I know she is a part of or have done.

Which are all very good, and I'm certainly happy to have her
part of our group of people. But is liaison raelly the right thing?

//Magnus

Re: User group liaison

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:46:22PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Hello,

>> Assisting established user groups to get the resources they need for
>> events and meetings that they are being organized by the group.
>
> Doesn't the SPI liaison guy do this already?

No. Well yes. The SPI guy is responsible for allocating financial
resources or acquiring financial resources for the entire community.

My "responsibility" ends there. If they need facilities to meet,
contacts for a uni, anything like that... technically that is not my
problem. If asked of course I would help in any way that I could (and
usually do).

The requested position gives an absolute, known and documented point of
contact that the community can say, "Talk to Selena". Selena then gets
to say, "Hey this is something for the SPI guy or Hmmm let's pass this
to -www and see what they think".

>> This may need to be a regional position, with individual people for
>> Europe, North America, Japan and other regions.
>
> Not sure about this part. If it's european, what would be the difference
> between said person and the pg-eu group? (other than the headcount)

Groups are notoriously useless as a contact point. That is why there is
only "one" primary contact for SPI for example. I assume the PGEU group
would say hey... user group people, here is your primary contact point.

I leave it to PGEU to determine exactly how that would work.

>> put up with me but has also shown a great attention to detail and an
>> ability to get people to open up to ideas so we can execute our goals
>> fully.
>
> I can't comment on Selena at all, since I've almost never seen her post anything
> until very recently on any of the global lists. Could be just me missing
> things of course (I can't claim to fully read all the mails coming through
> on the lists, though I try as much as I can to at least browse the
> threads), but I did also poll a couple of others on IM. Again, nothing
> against Selena at all, but shouldn't a community liaison be someone who's
> been active in the community for a while?

I don't see you on irc much... are you not a member of the community ?
Point being, Selena (JoshB and Davidfetter can confirm this) is a vital
part of this community. She gets stuff done.

No, she isn't *that* active on the lists but I am not sure how that is
even relevant to be honest.

>> Some of the things I know she is a part of or have done.
>
> Which are all very good, and I'm certainly happy to have her
> part of our group of people. But is liaison raelly the right thing?

Yes otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up. I would like to see at
least another half dozen user groups in the US alone this year. Are you
going to do that work? I certainly am low on cycles. Selena can help
insure this work gets done.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: User group liaison

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:05:24AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> >On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:46:22PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >>Hello,
>
> >>Assisting established user groups to get the resources they need for
> >>events and meetings that they are being organized by the group.
> >
> >Doesn't the SPI liaison guy do this already?
> >

> No. Well yes. The SPI guy is responsible for allocating financial
> resources or acquiring financial resources for the entire community.
>
> My "responsibility" ends there. If they need facilities to meet,
> contacts for a uni, anything like that... technically that is not my
> problem. If asked of course I would help in any way that I could (and
> usually do).
>
> The requested position gives an absolute, known and documented point of
> contact that the community can say, "Talk to Selena". Selena then gets
> to say, "Hey this is something for the SPI guy or Hmmm let's pass this
> to -www and see what they think".

ok. I've honestly never really figured out what you're supposed to be doing
as SPI liaison ;-) Or indeed how the whole fundraising/SPI/whatnot deal is
supposed to work. I'm jst accepting that others say i works :-)

> >>This may need to be a regional position, with individual people for
> >>Europe, North America, Japan and other regions.
> >
> >Not sure about this part. If it's european, what would be the difference
> >between said person and the pg-eu group? (other than the headcount)
> >

> Groups are notoriously useless as a contact point. That is why there is
> only "one" primary contact for SPI for example. I assume the PGEU group
> would say hey... user group people, here is your primary contact point.

Yes, of course. I meant how does it interface with this community liaison
person?

> >>put up with me but has also shown a great attention to detail and an
> >>ability to get people to open up to ideas so we can execute our goals
> >>fully.
> >
> >I can't comment on Selena at all, since I've almost never seen her post
> >anything
> >until very recently on any of the global lists. Could be just me missing
> >things of course (I can't claim to fully read all the mails coming through
> >on the lists, though I try as much as I can to at least browse the
> >threads), but I did also poll a couple of others on IM. Again, nothing
> >against Selena at all, but shouldn't a community liaison be someone who's
> >been active in the community for a while?
>
> I don't see you on irc much... are you not a member of the community ?

I hope I am :-) Like I said, I *don't know*, so I want to be sure. What I'm
looking to avoid is someone who only works locally.

> Point being, Selena (JoshB and Davidfetter can confirm this) is a vital
> part of this community. She gets stuff done.

Sure, I'll take your word for it, no problem there.

> No, she isn't *that* active on the lists but I am not sure how that is
> even relevant to be honest.

As long as she's active in the (global) community, it's not.

> >>Some of the things I know she is a part of or have done.
> >
> >Which are all very good, and I'm certainly happy to have her
> >part of our group of people. But is liaison raelly the right thing?
>
> Yes otherwise I wouldn't have brought it up. I would like to see at
> least another half dozen user groups in the US alone this year. Are you
> going to do that work? I certainly am low on cycles. Selena can help
> insure this work gets done.

I'm not saying it's not needed. Though quoting from that, maybe what you
need is a pg-us group (or person, if you don't like groups). Because what you're
talking about sounds a lot like what pg-eu is supposed to be doing for
europe, no?

//Magnus

Re: User group liaison

From
Dan Langille
Date:
On Jan 17, 2008, at 10:30 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> I can't comment on Selena at all, since I've almost never seen her
> post anything
> until very recently on any of the global lists. Could be just me
> missing
> things of course (I can't claim to fully read all the mails coming
> through
> on the lists, though I try as much as I can to at least browse the
> threads), but I did also poll a couple of others on IM. Again, nothing
> against Selena at all, but shouldn't a community liaison be someone
> who's
> been active in the community for a while?

Community > lists

Selena, AFAIK, has been involved with PostgreSQL since at least OSCON
2007.

It's not how much someone talks that counts.  It's what they do.
Selena is
qualified to do this, on whatever scale someone wishes to measure.

And, more to the point, SHE wants to do it.  That speaks volumes.

+1

--
Dan Langille -- http://www.langille.org/
dan@langille.org

Re: User group liaison

From
Dan Langille
Date:
On Jan 17, 2008, at 11:28 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 17, 2008 at 08:05:24AM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> I don't see you on irc much... are you not a member of the
>> community ?
>
> I hope I am :-) Like I said, I *don't know*, so I want to be sure.
> What I'm
> looking to avoid is someone who only works locally.
>

>> Point being, Selena (JoshB and Davidfetter can confirm this) is a
>> vital
>> part of this community. She gets stuff done.
>
> Sure, I'll take your word for it, no problem there.
>

>> No, she isn't *that* active on the lists but I am not sure how
>> that is
>> even relevant to be honest.
>
> As long as she's active in the (global) community, it's not.

I believe the prior "global" experience is not a prerequisite here.

Magnus: some of what you're saying is close to "how do I get this
experience if nobody will hire me".  Catch-22.  Damned if you do,
damned if you don't. Can't have it both ways.  :)

--
Dan Langille -- http://www.langille.org/
dan@langille.org

Re: User group liaison

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

On Thu, 17 Jan 2008 17:28:18 +0100
Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> ok. I've honestly never really figured out what you're supposed to be
> doing as SPI liaison ;-) Or indeed how the whole
> fundraising/SPI/whatnot deal is supposed to work. I'm jst accepting
> that others say i works :-)

Put another way except for SPI, all responsibilities that have somehow
fallen in my lap are out of proactive actions not out of any official
capacity to be the point man. SPI is only assets, whether money,
hardware, books, associations etc..

> > Groups are notoriously useless as a contact point. That is why
> > there is only "one" primary contact for SPI for example. I assume
> > the PGEU group would say hey... user group people, here is your
> > primary contact point.
>
> Yes, of course. I meant how does it interface with this community
> liaison person?

I assumed they would be peers. E.g; Selena would/could handle NA.. Dave
Page would be handling EU (example). They in turn would work together
on things that made sense.

Just as when PGEU gets everything sorted and starts dealing with
dollars that I (as SPI guy) would work with Simon Riggs (example)
because he is the point man for money at PGEU.

> > No, she isn't *that* active on the lists but I am not sure how that
> > is even relevant to be honest.
>
> As long as she's active in the (global) community, it's not.

You realize of course that this doesn't make sense. Githogori for
example is a stellar and very cool community member who pretty much
never participates on list.. But is a semi-regular attender of IRC and
a regular member of SFPUG.

> I'm not saying it's not needed. Though quoting from that, maybe what
> you need is a pg-us group (or person, if you don't like groups).
> Because what you're talking about sounds a lot like what pg-eu is
> supposed to be doing for europe, no?

My understanding is PGEU == ({SPI,PGFG,Advocacy}) for EU.  Also keep in
mind that the EU community is distinctly different than the US. We
likely will not have a bunch of independent user groups that are non
profits. We also don't have the cutural barriers that EU is bound to
run into.

I did say at the beginning of this thread that the person may need to
be regional. I have no problem with this being a regional thing.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

- --
The PostgreSQL Company: Since 1997, http://www.commandprompt.com/
SELECT 'Training', 'Consulting' FROM vendor WHERE name = 'CMD'

Re: User group liaison

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: User group liaison

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
All,

Regardless of what Josh's plans are, we really *could* use someone to be "in
charge" of PUG websites, event communication, mailing lists, etc.  This is
something I've been doing up until now, and I'm often not terribly responsive
when I'm travelling or involved with PR stuff.

And since it's something I, personally, have been doing, I don't think I need
a popular vote on whether to give the task to Selena, particularly when she
volunteered and I've not seen anybody else do so.   Whether Josh wants
SPI-PUG funding requests to go through Selena or not is up to him, at least
until the FG replaces him.

Let's not turn PostgreSQL into a bureaucracy.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: User group liaison

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: User group liaison

From
"Mike Ellsworth"
Date:
Selena,

Congratulations?

I haven't followed every detail for this thread, but if you hit a
point where you - or  - one these PUG's needs some printed materials
OR a way to create the source documents & PDFs for those materials,
let me know.

No promises, but we'll try to help.

Re: User group liaison

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
 > Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Dan Langille <dan@langille.org> wrote:

Obviously, this is one of those days when I am entirely unable to get my
points across in written conversation :-)

Disregard whatever I've been saying in this thread, as it obviously came
across completely different from what I meant.

//Magnus

Re: User group liaison

From
"Benjamin Scherrey"
Date:
    I think this is a great idea. In a similar light - I'd like to offer my company's services as a media contact point for PostgreSQL in Thailand and SE Asia (as appropriate). We're just now opening our new offices in Bangkok (last year we got Reuters Software Thailand to deploy their first SOA system on top of a PostgreSQL Slony cluster rather than SQLServer) and have been pretty serious Postgres users since 1998. We can be a media contact and translate any press releases into Thai, Malay, Indonesian and/or Chinese (Singaporean). We expect to be evangelizing PostgreSQL pretty heavily around here soon and are sponsors of the first BarcampBangkok coming later this month. Please let me know what we need to do.

    best regards,

    -- Ben Scherrey

On Jan 17, 2008 6:19 AM, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
On Jan 16, 2008 2:46 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> That said, I would also like to nominate Selena Deckelmann for the
> position. I have been working with Selena for about 2 years on various
> advocacy projects and she has proven, if nothing else, the ability to
> put up with me but has also shown a great attention to detail and an
> ability to get people to open up to ideas so we can execute our goals
> fully.

I am honored and would love to take on this role.

Working with the PostgreSQL community is a joy. I love getting
together with the PDXPUG members every month, and advocating here in
Portland on behalf of PostgreSQL.  I am so excited for all the new
groups, and can't wait to see what they have in store this coming
year.

Thank you!

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group
http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
http://www.chesnok.com/daily

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: User group liaison

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Benjamin,

>     I think this is a great idea. In a similar light - I'd like to offer
> my company's services as a media contact point for PostgreSQL in
> Thailand and SE Asia (as appropriate). We're just now opening our new
> offices in Bangkok (last year we got Reuters Software Thailand to deploy
> their first SOA system on top of a PostgreSQL Slony cluster rather than
> SQLServer) and have been pretty serious Postgres users since 1998. We
> can be a media contact and translate any press releases into Thai,
> Malay, Indonesian and/or Chinese (Singaporean). We expect to be
> evangelizing PostgreSQL pretty heavily around here soon and are sponsors
> of the first BarcampBangkok coming later this month. Please let me know
> what we need to do.

Cool!

We're not really set up to use companies as Regional Contacts though.  Can
you designate some individuals?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: User group liaison

From
"Benjamin Scherrey"
Date:
That would be me, Benjamin Scherrey, although I'd have staff performing the translations and would have to handle any non-english verbal interviews. I'm very happy to report there are even Thai translations for PostgreSQL books now. Open Source has a large underground constituency here that we're trying to tap into and move mainstream.

  -- Ben Scherrey
     +1-678-528-3423
     +66-89-895-6009

On Jan 18, 2008 1:16 AM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
Benjamin,

>     I think this is a great idea. In a similar light - I'd like to offer
> my company's services as a media contact point for PostgreSQL in
> Thailand and SE Asia (as appropriate). We're just now opening our new
> offices in Bangkok (last year we got Reuters Software Thailand to deploy
> their first SOA system on top of a PostgreSQL Slony cluster rather than
> SQLServer) and have been pretty serious Postgres users since 1998. We
> can be a media contact and translate any press releases into Thai,
> Malay, Indonesian and/or Chinese (Singaporean). We expect to be
> evangelizing PostgreSQL pretty heavily around here soon and are sponsors
> of the first BarcampBangkok coming later this month. Please let me know
> what we need to do.

Cool!

We're not really set up to use companies as Regional Contacts though.  Can
you designate some individuals?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: User group liaison

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
Magnus,

On Jan 17, 2008 9:33 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:

> Obviously, this is one of those days when I am entirely unable to get my
> points across in written conversation :-)
>
> Disregard whatever I've been saying in this thread, as it obviously came
> across completely different from what I meant.

I think you raised two fair questions -- 1) am I going to be active
globally? and 2) what benefit does giving me a title provide to
PostgreSQL, given that as far as you can see I haven't been all that
visible to the developers that you know.

As far as being active globally, I am on the -eu mailing list and
follow what's happening with the UK, Italian, French, German and now
the EU groups. There's some coordination already for events, speakers
and resources, but I certainly could do more.

We started work on a 'user group operating manual' a while back, and
it will be finished soon! I could start tracking and promoting all
user group events, not just the conferences.  I have other ideas for
increasing communication and connectedness.. but those are two obvious
items that can be completed shortly.

Your other question: what benefit does the community receive if I get
this title?

The title adds legitimacy when I'm interacting with people who are not
already part of our community.  Part of this role is outreach to
people who have not necessarily been vocal on mailing lists or IRC, or
maybe are new to PostgreSQL entirely.  I want to bring together
existing users and developers with some new people and ultimately,
encourage the new folks to participate in the development effort.

And as far as all the developers that I haven't met or talked with
yet, I look forward to meeting as many as I can in the next few years.
 :)  Probably not Jason Calcanis-style (http://tinyurl.com/ys8ocq),
but I'll do the best I can.

-selena
--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group
http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Re: User group liaison

From
"Dave Page"
Date:
On 17/01/2008, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> Magnus,
>
> As far as being active globally, I am on the -eu mailing list and
> follow what's happening with the UK [group]

OK, now thats creeepy given that it's pretty much entirely happening
at various pubs in and around Oxford so far. Are you stalking Simon
and/or I?

:-)

/D

Re: User group liaison

From
"Selena Deckelmann"
Date:
On Jan 17, 2008 10:58 AM, Dave Page <dpage@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On 17/01/2008, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Magnus,
> >
> > As far as being active globally, I am on the -eu mailing list and
> > follow what's happening with the UK [group]
>
> OK, now thats creeepy given that it's pretty much entirely happening
> at various pubs in and around Oxford so far. Are you stalking Simon
> and/or I?

What, like there's something wrong with that?

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group
http://pugs.postgresql.org/pdx
http://www.chesnok.com/daily

Re: User group liaison

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Thu, 2008-01-17 at 08:59 -0800, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Let's not turn PostgreSQL into a bureaucracy.

True, but I think if people are being appointed to roles and handling
money there is a minimum standard of probity that should apply.

My kids' school's Parent-Teacher group and local scout group both have
treasurers, voting, accounts etc.. My point being that even the smallest
organisations need some structure.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: User group liaison

From
Brenda Wallace

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:46:22PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> That said, I would also like to nominate Selena Deckelmann for the
> position. I have been working with Selena for about 2 years on various
> advocacy projects and she has proven, if nothing else, the ability to
> put up with me but has also shown a great attention to detail and an
> ability to get people to open up to ideas so we can execute our goals
> fully.

I'm a founder of the New Zealand group, and I know Selena Deckelmann, despite her being far far away in the US somewhere, she kept in good contact with us for some time now.

Selena++

Re: User group liaison

From
Ned Lilly
Josh D wrote:

> That said, I would also like to nominate Selena Deckelmann for the
> position. I have been working with Selena for about 2 years on various
> advocacy projects and she has proven, if nothing else, the ability to
> put up with me but has also shown a great attention to detail and an
> ability to get people to open up to ideas so we can execute our goals
> fully.

Don't think there have been any real objections here, but in case someone's actually keeping a tally, add my +1 for
Selena. She was the point person for a very involved OpenMFG ERP implementation, and demonstrated a strong mix of
technicalacumen and organizational/people skill.

Cheers,
Ned

--
Ned Lilly
President and CEO

Re: User group liaison

From
Jean-Paul Argudo
Date:
Hi all,

> Selena, AFAIK, has been involved with PostgreSQL since at least OSCON 2007.
>
> It's not how much someone talks that counts.  It's what they do.  Selena is
> qualified to do this, on whatever scale someone wishes to measure.
>
> And, more to the point, SHE wants to do it.  That speaks volumes.
> +1

Thats exactly my toughts. Im' +1 for this idea, and +1 for Selena, since
every convinced and volunteer person worths more than 10.

Jean-Paul Argudo
www.PostgreSQLFr.org