Re: User group liaison - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: User group liaison
Date
Re: User group liaison  (Dan Langille <dan@langille.org>)
Re: User group liaison  (Brenda Wallace <brenda@catalyst.net.nz>)
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 02:46:22PM -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to offer the suggestion that we create a user group
> liaison position within the community. This wouldn't be out of line as
> we already have regional contacts for various geographic locations.
>
> The user group liaison would be responsible for the following:
>
> Investigating new user group potential based on geographic interest.
>
> Assisting established user groups with communicated with the larger
> community.

Sounds good.

> Assisting established user groups to get the resources they need for
> events and meetings that they are being organized by the group.

Doesn't the SPI liaison guy do this already?

> This may need to be a regional position, with individual people for
> Europe, North America, Japan and other regions.

Not sure about this part. If it's european, what would be the difference
between said person and the pg-eu group? (other than the headcount)

> That said, I would also like to nominate Selena Deckelmann for the
> position. I have been working with Selena for about 2 years on various
> advocacy projects and she has proven, if nothing else, the ability to
> put up with me but has also shown a great attention to detail and an
> ability to get people to open up to ideas so we can execute our goals
> fully.

I can't comment on Selena at all, since I've almost never seen her post anything
until very recently on any of the global lists. Could be just me missing
things of course (I can't claim to fully read all the mails coming through
on the lists, though I try as much as I can to at least browse the
threads), but I did also poll a couple of others on IM. Again, nothing
against Selena at all, but shouldn't a community liaison be someone who's
been active in the community for a while?

> Some of the things I know she is a part of or have done.

Which are all very good, and I'm certainly happy to have her
part of our group of people. But is liaison raelly the right thing?

//Magnus