sun buys mysql

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Here's the links, although don't expect much of a response of mysql's website, it seems to be under some strain.

http://slashdot.org/

http://blogs.mysql.com/kaj/sun-acquires-mysql.html/

http://www.mysql.com/news-and-events/press-release/release_2008_03.html

http://www.sun.com/aboutsun/media/presskits/2008-0116/index.jsp?intcmp=hp2008jan16_mysql_learn

Hey Josh, how does this affect PostgreSQL at SUN?

regards

Robert

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Decibel!
Date:
On Jan 16, 2008, at 8:39 AM, Robert Bernier wrote:
> Hey Josh, how does this affect PostgreSQL at SUN?

Shhh! Josh's secret plan is that 2009 is when MySQL silently goes
away! :P
--
Decibel!, aka Jim C. Nasby, Database Architect  decibel@decibel.org

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> Hey Josh, how does this affect PostgreSQL at SUN?

You could at least *look* at my blog.  ;-/

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/sun-acquires-mysql-21822

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: sun buys mysql

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Bill Moran
Date:

> Robert,
>
> > Hey Josh, how does this affect PostgreSQL at SUN?
>
> You could at least *look* at my blog.  ;-/

You blog?  I didn't realize you had a firm enough grasp of the latest
high-tech blogging technology to use it effectively.  Aren't all the
new blogs digital?  Back in my day, they were analog ... I haven't
figured out how to use these fancy new ones yet ...

> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/sun-acquires-mysql-21822

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> So basically you publicly know nothing except that you are still
> employed :P

Heh.  Yeah, I'm pretty limited on what I can say in public, Google-searchable
forums.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Seth Grimes
Date:
An observation and a question from a neutral party (me):

It's interesting that you guys don't pay any attention to Ingres.

Why don't you?

                     Seth

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Robert,
>
>> Hey Josh, how does this affect PostgreSQL at SUN?
>
> You could at least *look* at my blog.  ;-/
>
> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/sun-acquires-mysql-21822

--
Seth Grimes   Alta Plana Corp, analytical computing & data management
               Intelligent Enterprise magazine (CMP), Contributing Editor

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Bill Moran wrote:

> Aren't all the new blogs digital?  Back in my day, they were analog ...
> I haven't figured out how to use these fancy new ones yet ...

Know what you mean, I've really been struggling to get the blog I write on
punch-cards integrated into an RSS feed.

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>> Aren't all the new blogs digital?  Back in my day, they were analog
>> ... I haven't figured out how to use these fancy new ones yet ...
>
> Know what you mean, I've really been struggling to get the blog I write
> on punch-cards integrated into an RSS feed.

Talk to Bruce, that sounds approximately like what he's doing.

//Magnus

Re: sun buys mysql

From
"Pavel Stehule"
Date:
On 16/01/2008, Seth Grimes <grimes@altaplana.com> wrote:
> An observation and a question from a neutral party (me):
>
> It's interesting that you guys don't pay any attention to Ingres.
>
> Why don't you?
>
>                                         Seth

so code without coders is nothing. Sun has MySQL code and has MySQL developers

> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Robert,
> >
> >> Hey Josh, how does this affect PostgreSQL at SUN?
> >
> > You could at least *look* at my blog.  ;-/
> >
> > http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/sun-acquires-mysql-21822
> >

> --
> Seth Grimes   Alta Plana Corp, analytical computing & data management
>                Intelligent Enterprise magazine (CMP), Contributing Editor
> grimes@altaplana.com       http://altaplana.com    301-270-0795

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Seth,

> It's interesting that you guys don't pay any attention to Ingres.
>
> Why don't you?

Do you know what "POSTGRES" stands for?  "Post-INGRES".

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
On Wednesday 16 January 2008 14:02, Seth Grimes wrote:
> An observation and a question from a neutral party (me):
>
> It's interesting that you guys don't pay any attention to Ingres.
>
> Why don't you?

Actually, they pay attention to us.

I have the impression that Ingres is more concerned leveraging existing technology for their market niche.

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Seth Grimes
Date:
On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Josh Berkus wrote:

>> It's interesting that you guys don't pay any attention to Ingres.
>>
>> Why don't you?
>
> Do you know what "POSTGRES" stands for?  "Post-INGRES".

Postgres had a more advanced, object-relational model at the time of its
creation, hence the "post" naming, but Postgres was never until perhaps
recently as robust as Ingres, giving lie to the "post" naming in other
senses.  The emergence of Postgres did not mean that Ingres stood still.

I'm not convinced that Postgres is more robust than Ingres even now.  But
hey, I'm monitoring this list in order to learn.

Myself, I was an Ingres DBA back in '87-'92 and I was aware of Postgres
from close to its start.  I also used Illustra heavily in '96-'97 to help
create dynamic, templated Web sites for some very visible clients.  For
example, I helped create the first Web site and on-line reservation system
for Radisson Hotels and other Carlson brands.  (I also first used MySQL in
that era.)  I maintained the Radisson site until it was replaced in 2000.
The client didn't want to migrate it to Informix, however, and
unfortunately Postgres was FAR from up to the job.

                     Seth

Re: sun buys mysql

Date:
Seth Grimes wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> >> It's interesting that you guys don't pay any attention to Ingres.
> >>
> >> Why don't you?
> >
> > Do you know what "POSTGRES" stands for?  "Post-INGRES".
>
> Postgres had a more advanced, object-relational model at the time of its
> creation, hence the "post" naming, but Postgres was never until perhaps
> recently as robust as Ingres, giving lie to the "post" naming in other
> senses.  The emergence of Postgres did not mean that Ingres stood still.

Ha, that is a good one.  ;-)

Standing still is pretty much what Ingres did while owned by Computer
Associates ("CA, where technology goes to die").

Re: sun buys mysql

Date:
Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Greg Smith wrote:
> > On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Bill Moran wrote:
> >
> >> Aren't all the new blogs digital?  Back in my day, they were analog
> >> ... I haven't figured out how to use these fancy new ones yet ...
> >
> > Know what you mean, I've really been struggling to get the blog I write
> > on punch-cards integrated into an RSS feed.
>
> Talk to Bruce, that sounds approximately like what he's doing.

Magnus is alluding to the fact that I create my blogs XML feeds via a
shell script that rips the data out of my HTML pages.

Re: sun buys mysql

Date:
Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Seth Grimes wrote:

> > > Do you know what "POSTGRES" stands for?  "Post-INGRES".
> >
> > Postgres had a more advanced, object-relational model at the time of its
> > creation, hence the "post" naming, but Postgres was never until perhaps
> > recently as robust as Ingres, giving lie to the "post" naming in other
> > senses.  The emergence of Postgres did not mean that Ingres stood still.
>
> Ha, that is a good one.  ;-)
>
> Standing still is pretty much what Ingres did while owned by Computer
> Associates ("CA, where technology goes to die").

Oh, let me add I used Ingres from 1989 to 1999 and liked it very much.

CA did try to do some things with Ingres.  Certainly when Postgres
started community development in 1996 Ingres was more capabile and
stable, but Postgres is advancing faster than any other existing
database so Ingres and others just can't keep up with us.

Re: sun buys mysql

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On Jan 16, 2008 6:03 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Standing still is pretty much what Ingres did while owned by Computer
> > Associates ("CA, where technology goes to die").

In reality, it didn't stand still.  They have added some good
enterprise-class features to it, especially in the past five years or
so.

> CA did try to do some things with Ingres.  Certainly when Postgres
> started community development in 1996 Ingres was more capabile and
> stable, but Postgres is advancing faster than any other existing
> database so Ingres and others just can't keep up with us.

To be fair, I would say Ingres is still more stable.  There are Ingres
systems running without issue since before the PostgreSQL community
began.

As for the statement, "Postgres is advancing faster than any other
existing database so Ingres and others just can't keep up with us."
Per release, several commercial database companies have added more
features and performance improvements to their products than PG has in
the last three-to-five years; so, I assume you are comparing to other
open-source databases?

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 18:18 -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> To be fair, I would say Ingres is still more stable.  There are Ingres
> systems running without issue since before the PostgreSQL community
> began.

I heard the latest release had "stability issues and performance
problems". Someone tried to hire me recently to fix them for a
government agency (I know which one also), until they found out my
involvement with Postgres.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

> I heard the latest release had "stability issues and performance
> problems". Someone tried to hire me recently to fix them for a
> government agency (I know which one also), until they found out my
> involvement with Postgres.

I'll tell you from benchmark testing that Ingres is definitely not the
performance leader.  Which is mystifying to me, given their large and
fairly competent performance team.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun
San Francisco

Re: sun buys mysql

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On Jan 16, 2008 8:32 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
> I'll tell you from benchmark testing that Ingres is definitely not the
> performance leader.  Which is mystifying to me, given their large and
> fairly competent performance team.

My DBT-2 results of their latest GPL'd version show the same as well.

--

Date:
On Jan 16, 2008 8:26 PM, Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-01-16 at 18:18 -0500, Jonah H. Harris wrote:
>
> > To be fair, I would say Ingres is still more stable.  There are Ingres
> > systems running without issue since before the PostgreSQL community
> > began.
>
> I heard the latest release had "stability issues and performance
> problems". Someone tried to hire me recently to fix them for a
> government agency (I know which one also), until they found out my
> involvement with Postgres.

As I said, there are Ingres systems that have been running longer than
PostgreSQL has existed.  However, I don't know how stable their latest
stuff is.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301
499 Thornall Street, 2nd Floor          | jonah.harris@enterprisedb.com
Edison, NJ 08837                        | http://www.enterprisedb.com/

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Seth Grimes
Date:
"CA, where technology goes to die."

Yeah, I heard Stonebraker utter that bon mot except that the occasion
would have been an Ingres user group meeting, before the sale of Ingres to
Sandra Kurtzig, hence of course before the sale to CA.  I'm trying to
remember what software he was referring to.  Ah, I know: Cullinet.
Thanks to Wikipedia for the list of CA's acquisitions.  Stonebraker was
speaking with regard in particular to the rise & fall of Codasyl/IDMS.

By the way, I was surprised that there was no Wikipedia entry for Illustra
so I started one today, jotting down the essentials.  It's too bad that
seemingly no Illustra work was rolled into Postgres but I guess IP
considerations got in the way.

                         Seth

On Wed, 16 Jan 2008, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> Seth Grimes wrote:

>>> Postgres had a more advanced, object-relational model at the time of its
>>> creation, hence the "post" naming, but Postgres was never until perhaps
>>> recently as robust as Ingres, giving lie to the "post" naming in other
>>> senses.  The emergence of Postgres did not mean that Ingres stood still.
>>
>> Ha, that is a good one.  ;-)
>>
>> Standing still is pretty much what Ingres did while owned by Computer
>> Associates ("CA, where technology goes to die").
>
> Oh, let me add I used Ingres from 1989 to 1999 and liked it very much.
>
> CA did try to do some things with Ingres.  Certainly when Postgres
> started community development in 1996 Ingres was more capabile and
> stable, but Postgres is advancing faster than any other existing
> database so Ingres and others just can't keep up with us.

--
Seth Grimes   Alta Plana Corp, analytical computing & data management
               Intelligent Enterprise magazine (CMP), Contributing Editor
grimes@altaplana.com       http://altaplana.com    301-270-0795

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Luke Lonergan
Date:
Hi Josh,

ISTM that in your newly enriched position there are a set of interesting
possibilities:

MySQL storage module: PostgreSQL?

DB roadmap:

    PostMySQL?

    MySunGres?

    PostInnoMySQL?

Thoughts?

- Luke

On 1/16/08 10:04 AM, "Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> Robert,
>
>> Hey Josh, how does this affect PostgreSQL at SUN?
>
> You could at least *look* at my blog.  ;-/
>
> http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/database/soup/archives/sun-acquires-mysql-21822

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Gregory Stark
Date:
"Josh Berkus" <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:

>> So basically you publicly know nothing except that you are still
>> employed :P
>
> Heh.  Yeah, I'm pretty limited on what I can say in public, Google-searchable
> forums.

That sounds almost like an invitation to have everyone contact you in personal
emails... Probably not what you intended I imagine.

--
  Gregory Stark

Re: sun buys mysql

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Greg,

> > Heh.  Yeah, I'm pretty limited on what I can say in public,
> > Google-searchable forums.
>
> That sounds almost like an invitation to have everyone contact you in
> personal emails... Probably not what you intended I imagine.

Yeah, actually that wasn't meant to go on the list.  I punched the wrong
"reply" button.  So it's a good thing I don't tend to say much of anything by
e-mail anymore that I'd want to call back.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: sun buys mysql