Re: sun buys mysql - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonah H. Harris
Subject Re: sun buys mysql
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Jan 16, 2008 6:03 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:
> > Standing still is pretty much what Ingres did while owned by Computer
> > Associates ("CA, where technology goes to die").

In reality, it didn't stand still.  They have added some good
enterprise-class features to it, especially in the past five years or
so.

> CA did try to do some things with Ingres.  Certainly when Postgres
> started community development in 1996 Ingres was more capabile and
> stable, but Postgres is advancing faster than any other existing
> database so Ingres and others just can't keep up with us.

To be fair, I would say Ingres is still more stable.  There are Ingres
systems running without issue since before the PostgreSQL community
began.

As for the statement, "Postgres is advancing faster than any other
existing database so Ingres and others just can't keep up with us."
Per release, several commercial database companies have added more
features and performance improvements to their products than PG has in
the last three-to-five years; so, I assume you are comparing to other
open-source databases?

--
Jonah H. Harris, Sr. Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation                | fax: 732.331.1301