Re: sun buys mysql - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Seth Grimes
Subject Re: sun buys mysql
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
"CA, where technology goes to die."

Yeah, I heard Stonebraker utter that bon mot except that the occasion
would have been an Ingres user group meeting, before the sale of Ingres to
Sandra Kurtzig, hence of course before the sale to CA.  I'm trying to
remember what software he was referring to.  Ah, I know: Cullinet.
Thanks to Wikipedia for the list of CA's acquisitions.  Stonebraker was
speaking with regard in particular to the rise & fall of Codasyl/IDMS.

By the way, I was surprised that there was no Wikipedia entry for Illustra
so I started one today, jotting down the essentials.  It's too bad that
seemingly no Illustra work was rolled into Postgres but I guess IP
considerations got in the way.

                         Seth

--
Seth Grimes   Alta Plana Corp, analytical computing & data management
               Intelligent Enterprise magazine (CMP), Contributing Editor