Release Notes?

From
Chris Browne
Date:
In the interests of doing things more useful than arguing about names,
is it getting about time to start constructing 8.3 release notes?

Let me note that a pretty nice list of features is being collected here:
  http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83

I suspect Robert Treat and I will both be "reaping" this for material
for forthcoming speaking engagements:
  http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/OHLF
  http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/ONLF

There's *plenty* of stuff that is now long committed; I expect we're
getting pretty much to the point where the number of new items that
can make it in (ergo: rework) will be pretty small, and not involve
terribly much rework.

Would it make any sense to work on this on the page in the wiki?
  http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
And then macro-ize it into SGML for inclusion in release notes?
--
output = reverse("ofni.secnanifxunil" "@" "enworbbc")
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/linuxdistributions.html

Re: Release Notes?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris, Robert,

> In the interests of doing things more useful than arguing about names,
> is it getting about time to start constructing 8.3 release notes?
>
> Let me note that a pretty nice list of features is being collected here:
>   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
>
> I suspect Robert Treat and I will both be "reaping" this for material
> for forthcoming speaking engagements:
>   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/OHLF
>   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/ONLF

For that matter, I expect to use it in my upcoming trip, starting
Tuesday.  Thanks for getting this started!

> Would it make any sense to work on this on the page in the wiki?
>   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
> And then macro-ize it into SGML for inclusion in release notes?

Hmmm.  The release notes have been significantly different format.  I
think we want to get into having a final, user-friendly "information
page" like this somewhere, but I'm not sure it subs for the release notes.

Bruce?

--Josh

Re: Release Notes?

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I suspect Robert Treat and I will both be "reaping" this for material
> > for forthcoming speaking engagements:
> >   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/OHLF
> >   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/ONLF
>
> For that matter, I expect to use it in my upcoming trip, starting
> Tuesday.  Thanks for getting this started!

I will use it in preparing for my talk in Russia in 10 days.

> > Would it make any sense to work on this on the page in the wiki?
> >   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
> > And then macro-ize it into SGML for inclusion in release notes?
>
> Hmmm.  The release notes have been significantly different format.  I
> think we want to get into having a final, user-friendly "information
> page" like this somewhere, but I'm not sure it subs for the release notes.
>
> Bruce?

The release notes are exhaustive and have a pretty consistent filter as
I go over every item.  I am hesitant to risk a different method.

What we have done in the past is to have me create the release notes
before beta, and then any other summaries are compared to see if the
release notes can be improved.

Re: Release Notes?

From
Chris Browne
Date:
josh@agliodbs.com (Josh Berkus) writes:
> Chris, Robert,
>
>> In the interests of doing things more useful than arguing about names,
>> is it getting about time to start constructing 8.3 release notes?
>> Let me note that a pretty nice list of features is being collected
>> here:
>>   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
>> I suspect Robert Treat and I will both be "reaping" this for material
>> for forthcoming speaking engagements:
>>   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/OHLF
>>   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/ONLF
>
> For that matter, I expect to use it in my upcoming trip, starting
> Tuesday.  Thanks for getting this started!

I have tried to fill it in with explanations to describe the various
features; by all means, feel free to improve on that :-).

>> Would it make any sense to work on this on the page in the wiki?
>>   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
>> And then macro-ize it into SGML for inclusion in release notes?
>
> Hmmm.  The release notes have been significantly different format.  I
> think we want to get into having a final, user-friendly "information
> page" like this somewhere, but I'm not sure it subs for the release
> notes.
>
> Bruce?

Stipulated that the format here differs; there is, nonetheless, some
value in trying to collect notes early and in coordinated fashion.
May help get the task done sooner...
--
"cbbrowne","@","linuxfinances.info"
http://www3.sympatico.ca/cbbrowne/finances.html

Re: Release Notes?

Date:
Chris Browne wrote:
> > For that matter, I expect to use it in my upcoming trip, starting
> > Tuesday.  Thanks for getting this started!
>
> I have tried to fill it in with explanations to describe the various
> features; by all means, feel free to improve on that :-).
>
> >> Would it make any sense to work on this on the page in the wiki?
> >>   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
> >> And then macro-ize it into SGML for inclusion in release notes?
> >
> > Hmmm.  The release notes have been significantly different format.  I
> > think we want to get into having a final, user-friendly "information
> > page" like this somewhere, but I'm not sure it subs for the release
> > notes.
> >
> > Bruce?
>
> Stipulated that the format here differs; there is, nonetheless, some
> value in trying to collect notes early and in coordinated fashion.
> May help get the task done sooner...

No question.

Re: Release Notes?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris, Robert, Bruce,

In the past, the web pages we've had for a release were:

/about/press/presskit
/about/press/contact
/docs/current/static/release.html

I'm thinking that we want to add:
/about/features
... per the effort to clean up the features pages, and
/about/features/latest
with the latest version features

Alternately it can be in /about/press, but I think it's probably better in the
other place.  Yes?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL @ Sun

Re: Release Notes?

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
On Sun, Sep 16, 2007 at 01:59:47PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Chris, Robert, Bruce,
>
> In the past, the web pages we've had for a release were:
>
> /about/press/presskit
> /about/press/contact
> /docs/current/static/release.html
>
> I'm thinking that we want to add:
> /about/features
> ... per the effort to clean up the features pages, and
> /about/features/latest
> with the latest version features
>
> Alternately it can be in /about/press, but I think it's probably better in the
> other place.  Yes?

Just a note, not sure if you saw this one before: I've been working on
db:ifying Stefans feature matrix thingy. The mockup is here:
http://magnus-master.pgadmin.org/about/featurematrix

Still needs a fix for the info links, but working on that. Other than that,
it mainly needs a lot of data entry. The idea is that a feature will have
a link to the relevant documentation section or a link showing just a
summary for things that aren't in the docs.

Perhaps that's a good start for what you're looking for?

//Magnus

Re: Release Notes?

From
"Hale Boyes, Kevin "
Date:
Chris Browne wrote:
> Let me note that a pretty nice list of features is being collected
>   here: http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83

A small correction.  HOT stands for Heap Only Tuple.

K.

This email communication and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and or proprietary information and
isprovided for the use of the intended recipient only. Any review, retransmission or dissemination of this information
byanyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited.  If you receive this email in error, please contact the
senderand delete this communication and any copies immediately. Thank you.
http://www.encana.com

Re: Release Notes?

From
"Pavan Deolasee"

On 9/17/07, Hale Boyes, Kevin <Kevin.HaleBoyes@encana.com> wrote:
Chris Browne wrote:
> Let me note that a pretty nice list of features is being collected
>   here: http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83

A small correction.  HOT stands for Heap Only Tuple.

Right. The text is based on stale information. HOT stands for Heap Only
Tuple and the restriction about not changing tuple length during
UPDATEs has been removed.  HOT optimizes a special but important
case where UPDATE does not change any index key columns
or columns referenced in index expressions
and predicates. HOT helps early reclaim of dead space in a table, thus
reducing the need for frequent VACUUM and reduces relation
and index bloat.

I would suggest the following README to know more details.
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-09/msg00261.php

Thanks,
Pavan

--
Pavan Deolasee
EnterpriseDB     http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: Release Notes?

From
Chris Browne
Date:
pavan.deolasee@gmail.com ("Pavan Deolasee") writes:
> On 9/17/07, Hale Boyes, Kevin <Kevin.HaleBoyes@encana.com> wrote:
>
>           Chris Browne wrote:
>      > Let me note that a pretty nice list of features is being collected
>      >   here: http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
>
>      A small correction.  HOT stands for Heap Only Tuple.
>

> Right. The text is based on stale information. HOT stands for Heap Only
> Tuple and the restriction about not changing tuple length during
> UPDATEs has been removed.  HOT optimizes a special but important
> case where UPDATE does not change any index key columns
> or columns referenced in index expressions
> and predicates. HOT helps early reclaim of dead space in a table, thus
> reducing the need for frequent VACUUM and reduces relation
> and index bloat.

I have updated the Wiki with that text.  Of course, it would probably
be more efficient of time to make the change directly, cutting out
middlecritters who can misread things :-).
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxfinances.info/info/lisp.html