Re: Release Notes? - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Release Notes?
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> > I suspect Robert Treat and I will both be "reaping" this for material
> > for forthcoming speaking engagements:
> >   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/OHLF
> >   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/ONLF
>
> For that matter, I expect to use it in my upcoming trip, starting
> Tuesday.  Thanks for getting this started!

I will use it in preparing for my talk in Russia in 10 days.

> > Would it make any sense to work on this on the page in the wiki?
> >   http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/WhatsNew83
> > And then macro-ize it into SGML for inclusion in release notes?
>
> Hmmm.  The release notes have been significantly different format.  I
> think we want to get into having a final, user-friendly "information
> page" like this somewhere, but I'm not sure it subs for the release notes.
>
> Bruce?

The release notes are exhaustive and have a pretty consistent filter as
I go over every item.  I am hesitant to risk a different method.

What we have done in the past is to have me create the release notes
before beta, and then any other summaries are compared to see if the
release notes can be improved.