(wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
http://www.cioupdate.com/trends/article.php/3689871

Only one database there, MySQL, wtf.

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 01:12:07AM -0300, Guido Barosio wrote:
> http://www.cioupdate.com/trends/article.php/3689871
>
> Only one database there, MySQL, wtf.

To quote...

"To come up with its Top 20 list, OpenLogic, a provider of open source
solutions that help its 700 Global 2000 enterprise customers acquire,
support, track and control open source software, queries its customers
as to which open source software projects they are using."

The reason MySQL shows and PostgreSQL doesn't is that there's all kinds
of other OSS projects that use MySQL, so it ends up in the door that
way. It's also got way more people that know it.

PostgreSQL OTOH typically only goes into an organization if they either
run into problems they can't solve in MySQL or if there's a (loud)
internal advocate.

This is why I disagree with the notion that MySQL isn't our
competition... this shows how it's popularity ends up hurting us.
--
Jim Nasby                                      decibel@decibel.org

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects inthe Enterprise

From
"Simon Riggs"
Date:
On Mon, 2007-07-23 at 18:49 -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> The reason MySQL shows and PostgreSQL doesn't is that there's all
> kinds of other OSS projects that use MySQL, so it ends up in the door
> that way. It's also got way more people that know it.

With the recent TPC-E result and the new async commit functionality, I'm
hoping to be able to persuade other projects that supporting PostgreSQL
as well as MySQL is the sensible thing to do.

--
  Simon Riggs
  EnterpriseDB  http://www.enterprisedb.com

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise

From
Brian Hurt
Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
"To come up with its Top 20 list, OpenLogic, a provider of open source
solutions that help its 700 Global 2000 enterprise customers acquire,
support, track and control open source software, queries its customers
as to which open source software projects they are using."

The reason MySQL shows and PostgreSQL doesn't is that there's all kinds
of other OSS projects that use MySQL, so it ends up in the door that
way. It's also got way more people that know it.

PostgreSQL OTOH typically only goes into an organization if they either
run into problems they can't solve in MySQL or if there's a (loud)
internal advocate.

This is why I disagree with the notion that MySQL isn't our
competition... this shows how it's popularity ends up hurting us.
I also find it humorous that vim made the list, but emacs didn't.  Note that I'm a vim user, not an emacs user, so I'm only "amused", not "annoyed".  But it does make me question the accuracy of the list.

Brian

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects inthe Enterprise

From
"Greg Sabino Mullane"
Date:

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects inthe Enterprise

From
Josh
Date:
> and what the status of any port is. Come to think of it, that would be a
> good thing to put on the wiki... done:

Ok, I see the wiki page has been locked to prevent editing.  Here's
another:

vTiger CRM version 4.2.4 works with Postgres.  It can be downloaded here:

http://www.vtiger.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=154

Note that this version is from June 07, 2005 - the vTiger project had a
sub-project to implement PG support in their 5.0x versions; they project
having it available in 5.0.3 or 5.0.4.  Note that 5.0.3 has been in "RC2"
status for a very long time now.

vTiger is a fork of SugarCRM with some nice additions; if you don't mind
using software for which you can't get any form of support (the forums are
unresponsive for old versions), and you have time to test for your
environment (load testing, etc), then I highly recommend this product.

Cheers,
-J

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects inthe Enterprise

From
Greg Smith
Date:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Josh wrote:

> Ok, I see the wiki page has been locked to prevent editing.

You just need to create an account and then contact one of the
administrators to give you appropriate permissions to edit pages.

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 23, 2007 at 01:12:07AM -0300, Guido Barosio wrote:
>> http://www.cioupdate.com/trends/article.php/3689871

> The reason MySQL shows and PostgreSQL doesn't is that there's all kinds
> of other OSS projects that use MySQL, so it ends up in the door that
> way. It's also got way more people that know it.

I have actually been researching this a bit and there are a couple of
things that are coming into play with the people I talk to:

1. A lot more people know MySQL and thus can be hired, and in theory be
immediately productive.

2. MySQL people are cheaper. On average from the people I talk to 30-40%
cheaper than a qualified PostgreSQL DBA.

> PostgreSQL OTOH typically only goes into an organization if they either
> run into problems they can't solve in MySQL or if there's a (loud)
> internal advocate.

Or there are people in the know. Which is often the case.

> This is why I disagree with the notion that MySQL isn't our
> competition... this shows how it's popularity ends up hurting us.

It kind of depends. The reality is, regardless of what all of us Pg
zealots would like to think, is that MySQL is now buzzword compliant. It
really doesn't matter a hoot whether or not the buzzword compliance is
of a solid implementation or not.

But then again, it hasn't hurt us yet and I don't think it will. I would
rather have 1000 customers who make intelligent decisions about their
infrastructure than 5000 that are ignorant buffoons who spend more time
listening to sales people than actually making knowledgeable decisions.

 From the, "Command Prompt doesn't employ any sales people dept.",

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise

From
JoshuaKramer
Date:
> 1. A lot more people know MySQL and thus can be hired, and in theory be
> immediately productive.
> 2. MySQL people are cheaper. On average from the people I talk to 30-40%
> cheaper than a qualified PostgreSQL DBA.

My response: if you are an A/V production company wanting to buy new
equipment, do you go to Wal*Mart and buy the $999 Plasma TV Special, or do
you go to an A/V supply house and buy a good, commercial-quality unit for
$2400?

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but consider: is your 40% cheaper MySQL
admin going to know how to secure your data properly so you don't loose a
few bits here and there?  If your data is only ancillary to your business
- like if you're a plumber and connecting pipes is your thing - them MySQL
might be OK, and your 40% cheaper admin would fit the bill.

If, however, you depend on your data, then it's worth paying for someone
who knows their salt.

On a somewhat related topic - how is MySQL 5 wrt reliability?  Let's say
you have a database that uses innodb and does type checking - is MySQL as
robust as PGSQL when it comes to being able to pull the plug out of the
socket (or deal with HW errors)?

Cheers,
-J

Date:
JoshuaKramer wrote:

>> 1. A lot more people know MySQL and thus can be hired, and in theory
>> be immediately productive.
>> 2. MySQL people are cheaper. On average from the people I talk to
>> 30-40% cheaper than a qualified PostgreSQL DBA.
>
> My response: if you are an A/V production company wanting to buy new
> equipment, do you go to Wal*Mart and buy the $999 Plasma TV Special, or
> do you go to an A/V supply house and buy a good, commercial-quality unit
> for $2400?
>
> I know I'm preaching to the choir, but consider: is your 40% cheaper
> MySQL admin going to know how to secure your data properly so you don't
> loose a few bits here and there?  If your data is only ancillary to your
> business - like if you're a plumber and connecting pipes is your thing -
> them MySQL might be OK, and your 40% cheaper admin would fit the bill.

You are preaching to the choir. ;)

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
On 7/24/07, JoshuaKramer <josh@globalherald.net> wrote:
> On a somewhat related topic - how is MySQL 5 wrt reliability?  Let's say
> you have a database that uses innodb and does type checking - is MySQL as
> robust as PGSQL when it comes to being able to pull the plug out of the
> socket (or deal with HW errors)?

ACID-wise:

MyISAM, no.  InnoDB, Solid, and PrimeBase yes.

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1324
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

Date:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> The reality is, regardless of what all of us Pg zealots would like to
> think, is that MySQL is now buzzword compliant.

There's a whole lot of people who think of the standard for web
application development to be based on the LAMP stack.  They're
immediately comfortable that they're using an industry standard and
therefore well supported/supportable solution by adopting that approach.
If the current developer dissapears it will be no problem to find another
one just like them at a reasonable rate.

Many of these people become much less comfortable when designs that
deviate from that standard set are proposed.  Now you have to give a
compelling reason why the benefits of deviating from what everybody else
is doing are worth introducing the risk you'll end up needing skills that
may not be available.

Date:
Greg Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>
>> The reality is, regardless of what all of us Pg zealots would like to
>> think, is that MySQL is now buzzword compliant.
>
> There's a whole lot of people who think of the standard for web
> application development to be based on the LAMP stack.  They're
> immediately comfortable that they're using an industry standard and
> therefore well supported/supportable solution by adopting that approach.
> If the current developer dissapears it will be no problem to find
> another one just like them at a reasonable rate.

Yep, sad but yep.

> Many of these people become much less comfortable when designs that
> deviate from that standard set are proposed.  Now you have to give a
> compelling reason why the benefits of deviating from what everybody else
> is doing are worth introducing the risk you'll end up needing skills
> that may not be available.

Again, yep :)

Joshua D. Drake

              http://www.commandprompt.com/

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects inthe Enterprise

From
Chris Browne
Date:
greg@turnstep.com ("Greg Sabino Mullane") writes:
> Come to think of it, that would be a good thing to put on the
> wiki... done:
>
> http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Software_Ports

And this ought to be transformed to use Mediawiki's "category" support
to automatically index such things... done:

http://developer.postgresql.org/index.php/Category:Software_Ports
--
output = ("cbbrowne" "@" "acm.org")
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/unix.html

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects inthe Enterprise

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Jul 24, 2007, at 7:25 AM, Josh wrote:
> vTiger is a fork of SugarCRM with some nice additions; if you don't
> mind using software for which you can't get any form of support
> (the forums are unresponsive for old versions), and you have time
> to test for your environment (load testing, etc), then I highly
> recommend this product.

Perhaps some of the independent PostgreSQL consultants want to become
experts in some of these packages so that they can offer support.

Date:
On Jul 24, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> It kind of depends. The reality is, regardless of what all of us Pg
> zealots would like to think, is that MySQL is now buzzword
> compliant. It really doesn't matter a hoot whether or not the
> buzzword compliance is of a solid implementation or not.

Seems buzzword compliance is never based on actual merit...

> But then again, it hasn't hurt us yet and I don't think it will. I
> would rather have 1000 customers who make intelligent decisions
> about their infrastructure than 5000 that are ignorant buffoons who
> spend more time listening to sales people than actually making
> knowledgeable decisions.

FreeBSD used to be far superior to Linux in almost every way. Then
Linux became buzzword complaint, a lot of big companies spent a lot
of money on it, and it's now equal to or superior to FreeBSD in
almost any measure.

This is already becoming a threat to PostgreSQL; witness all the
stuff that Google has released for MySQL. Fortunately our open
community and BSD license has allowed commercial companies to readily
produce a lot of improvements for PostgreSQL... but imagine what
would happen if a really major company was to decide it needed to
drastically improve MySQL... we could easily end up becoming the
worlds 2nd most advanced open-source database.

Date:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Jim Nasby wrote:

> Perhaps some of the independent PostgreSQL consultants want to become
> experts in some of these packages so that they can offer support.

There are a fair number CRM packages out there, and MySQL is the preferred
database on some percentage of them.  Similarly, there are a large number
of CMS systems out there where it's the preferred storage backend.

Here's how the chicken/egg problem here works if you're an independant
consultant.  The potential customer base for any individual [CRM|CMS]
package is pretty small because both these markets are so fragmented.  If
one picks a package and becomes an expert at that, you can expect that
most potential clients will be running MySQL.  Therefore you're stuck
becoming somewhat expert at using it.

The value added by knowing how to use PostgreSQL instead only really kicks
in when MySQL just isn't good enough to work at all, which in this context
usually comes from it not scaling up enough.  So the only time you pick up
new customers who appreciate the PostgreSQL experience (rather than
viewing it as something you're distracted by) are from bigger companies
straining against the limits of the software, and those sort of companies
try not to get backed into a corner like that in the first place, or even
use open-source for this type of app.

I'd consider it an unwise career decision for someone who's already
billing for PostgreSQL time to focus too hard on any one of these
packages.  There's just not enough synergy between the two skill sets.
MediaWiki sticks out as the only package popular enough and often
associated with larger sites that I'm really motivated to pick up specific
expertise with it.

I have a side project fixing up PostNuke with proper PostgreSQL support,
but even that wasn't cost-justifiable for me to work on until after the
core developers decided it was important for them to support multiple
database backends.  Once they'd embraced the full abstraction of ADODB,
the ability to support a PostgreSQL port came naturally from that work.
As more projects move to database abstraction layers like that one it
becomes easier to substitute PostgreSQL in situations where MySQL reigns
right now.  But you can't forget that such redesigns aren't specifically
helping PG, they give every database engine a market opportunity; the next
step in PostNuke's roadmap is full MS-SQL support...

Date:
On Jul 24, 2007, at 7:59 AM, JoshuaKramer wrote:
>> 1. A lot more people know MySQL and thus can be hired, and in
>> theory be immediately productive.
>> 2. MySQL people are cheaper. On average from the people I talk to
>> 30-40% cheaper than a qualified PostgreSQL DBA.
>
> My response: if you are an A/V production company wanting to buy
> new equipment, do you go to Wal*Mart and buy the $999 Plasma TV
> Special, or do you go to an A/V supply house and buy a good,
> commercial-quality unit for $2400?
>
> I know I'm preaching to the choir, but consider: is your 40%
> cheaper MySQL admin going to know how to secure your data properly
> so you don't loose a few bits here and there?  If your data is only
> ancillary to your business - like if you're a plumber and
> connecting pipes is your thing - them MySQL might be OK, and your
> 40% cheaper admin would fit the bill.

You think the CTO or CFO in most companies have any clue what ACID
means (beyond LSD)?

> If, however, you depend on your data, then it's worth paying for
> someone who knows their salt.

Ok, how many companies bank their entire business on PostgreSQL but
don't have a support contract? Sure, the odds of something going
wrong are small and the community generally does a great job at
support, but if an hour of downtime will cost you thousands of
dollars, doesn't it make sense to spend a couple grand on a support
contract?

> On a somewhat related topic - how is MySQL 5 wrt reliability?
> Let's say you have a database that uses innodb and does type
> checking - is MySQL as robust as PGSQL when it comes to being able
> to pull the plug out of the socket (or deal with HW errors)?

You can certainly make MySQL as robust as PostgreSQL; it's just
harder to do so.

Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise

From
Magnus Hagander
Date:
Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 7/24/07, JoshuaKramer <josh@globalherald.net> wrote:
>> On a somewhat related topic - how is MySQL 5 wrt reliability?  Let's say
>> you have a database that uses innodb and does type checking - is MySQL as
>> robust as PGSQL when it comes to being able to pull the plug out of the
>> socket (or deal with HW errors)?
>
> ACID-wise:
>
> MyISAM, no.  InnoDB, Solid, and PrimeBase yes.

Last I checked there was no way to make the system tables use anything
other than MyISAM, which means they're not safe. That opens up a window
that cannot be fixed. Unless they've actually changed that in 5.1, I
think it was 5.0 when I checked it (could've been 4.x, I don't actually
*use* mysql so..)

//Magnus

Date:
On 7/24/07, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
> Last I checked there was no way to make the system tables use anything
> other than MyISAM, which means they're not safe.

You are correct.  At this point in time, I don't believe you can use
anything but MyISAM for the catalog tables.  So, I imagine it would be
possible to logically corrupt a system if DDL was occurring at the
exact point of a crash.

--

Josh wrote:

> > and what the status of any port is. Come to think of it, that would be a
> > good thing to put on the wiki... done:
>
> Ok, I see the wiki page has been locked to prevent editing.  Here's
> another:
>
> vTiger CRM version 4.2.4 works with Postgres.  It can be downloaded here:
>
> http://www.vtiger.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=68&Itemid=154
>
> Note that this version is from June 07, 2005 - the vTiger project had a
> sub-project to implement PG support in their 5.0x versions; they project
> having it available in 5.0.3 or 5.0.4.  Note that 5.0.3 has been in "RC2"
> status for a very long time now.
>
> vTiger is a fork of SugarCRM with some nice additions; if you don't mind
> using software for which you can't get any form of support (the forums are
> unresponsive for old versions), and you have time to test for your
> environment (load testing, etc), then I highly recommend this product.

What about Mambo?

Date:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Jonah H. Harris wrote:

> At this point in time, I don't believe you can use anything but MyISAM
> for the catalog tables.  So, I imagine it would be possible to logically
> corrupt a system if DDL was occurring at the exact point of a crash.

They work around this the old-fashioned MySQL way, with lots of locks.
See http://forge.mysql.com/wiki/MySQL_Internals_Data_and_meta-data_locking

For example, this is their ALTER TABLE internal workflow:  "
  * open and lock table with TL_WRITE_ALLOW_READ
  * create an altered copy of the table with a temporary name
  * force and wait until all instances of table are closed (lock
upgrade!)
  * swap the new and old versions
  * drop the old version"

Date:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Jim Nasby wrote:

> You can certainly make MySQL as robust as PostgreSQL; it's just harder to do
> so.

I'd recommend
http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-data-integrity.html as
an intro for anyone who wants to catch up on the current state of MySQL
data validation compared to how it used to be.  It's really not so bad
nowadays if you use the strict_all_tables feature.  They still have the
open issue of some older apps not working if you toggle this on, so it's
not the default, but "good enough" validation is there.

Date:
On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> What about Mambo?

There was some movement circa 2004 to switch Mambo to ADODB which would
then make PostgreSQL a possible backend, but as far as I know it never got
anywhere (the prototype is at
http://mamboxchange.com/projects/mambo-adodb/ )

A quick check shows there's still no evidence that database independance
is on their roadmap.  The core development team is focused on issues like
internationalization, ACLs, and templates--you know, real core features
their existing users are screaming for.

Date:
On Jul 24, 2007, at 1:39 PM, Greg Smith wrote:
> On Tue, 24 Jul 2007, Jim Nasby wrote:
>
>> You can certainly make MySQL as robust as PostgreSQL; it's just
>> harder to do so.
>
> I'd recommend http://dev.mysql.com/tech-resources/articles/mysql-
> data-integrity.html as an intro for anyone who wants to catch up on
> the current state of MySQL data validation compared to how it used
> to be.  It's really not so bad nowadays if you use the
> strict_all_tables feature.  They still have the open issue of some
> older apps not working if you toggle this on, so it's not the
> default, but "good enough" validation is there.

I love how they can't keep the marketing stuff out of their docs...

"However, the meteoric rise in MySQL's popularity"

but I digress... the real reason I was looking at that is to confirm
that you can turn off strict checking within a session. So one
wayward command means all your safety just went away.

Like I said... safe data is possible with MySQL, it's just harder.