Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: (wtf) Top 20 Open Source Software Projects in the Enterprise
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Jul 24, 2007, at 7:34 AM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> It kind of depends. The reality is, regardless of what all of us Pg
> zealots would like to think, is that MySQL is now buzzword
> compliant. It really doesn't matter a hoot whether or not the
> buzzword compliance is of a solid implementation or not.

Seems buzzword compliance is never based on actual merit...

> But then again, it hasn't hurt us yet and I don't think it will. I
> would rather have 1000 customers who make intelligent decisions
> about their infrastructure than 5000 that are ignorant buffoons who
> spend more time listening to sales people than actually making
> knowledgeable decisions.

FreeBSD used to be far superior to Linux in almost every way. Then
Linux became buzzword complaint, a lot of big companies spent a lot
of money on it, and it's now equal to or superior to FreeBSD in
almost any measure.

This is already becoming a threat to PostgreSQL; witness all the
stuff that Google has released for MySQL. Fortunately our open
community and BSD license has allowed commercial companies to readily
produce a lot of improvements for PostgreSQL... but imagine what
would happen if a really major company was to decide it needed to
drastically improve MySQL... we could easily end up becoming the
worlds 2nd most advanced open-source database.