PostgreSQL book market up 84%

From
Tom Copeland
Date:
At least, according to Tim O'Reilly, who should know:

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2006/04/state_of_the_computer_book_mar_3.html

Good times,

Tom

Re: PostgreSQL book market up 84%

From
"Guido Barosio"
quote: "A surprise to many may be the strong growth of PostgreSQL, up
84% over a year ago. We've also been hearing some signs of growth in
the Postgres market from our "alpha geek" radar, with reasons given
including better support for geo data, and better handling of very
large data sets. New companies like Greenplum and EnterpriseDB have
also brought a little focus to this market. We're updating our
PostgreSQL book, and watching this market closely."

pgsql 8.0 , windows port. That should explain a bit these figures, tho.

g.-

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: PostgreSQL book market up 84%

From
"Jim C. Nasby"
Date:
On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:53:39PM +0100, Guido Barosio wrote:
> quote: "A surprise to many may be the strong growth of PostgreSQL, up
> 84% over a year ago. We've also been hearing some signs of growth in
> the Postgres market from our "alpha geek" radar, with reasons given
> including better support for geo data, and better handling of very
> large data sets. New companies like Greenplum and EnterpriseDB have
> also brought a little focus to this market. We're updating our
> PostgreSQL book, and watching this market closely."
>
> pgsql 8.0 , windows port. That should explain a bit these figures, tho.

Actually, I think it's more than just that. For example, my
understanding is that even though it's database agnostic, a lot of Rails
users are going with PostgreSQL. I think a lot of the silliness in MySQL
is finally coming back to haunt them, as people are preferring a database
that "just does the right thing".

Date:
On Fri, 2006-04-21 at 16:02 -0500, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 21, 2006 at 09:53:39PM +0100, Guido Barosio wrote:
> > quote: "A surprise to many may be the strong growth of PostgreSQL, up
> > 84% over a year ago. We've also been hearing some signs of growth in
> > the Postgres market from our "alpha geek" radar, with reasons given
> > including better support for geo data, and better handling of very
> > large data sets. New companies like Greenplum and EnterpriseDB have
> > also brought a little focus to this market. We're updating our
> > PostgreSQL book, and watching this market closely."
> >
> > pgsql 8.0 , windows port. That should explain a bit these figures, tho.
>
> Actually, I think it's more than just that. For example, my
> understanding is that even though it's database agnostic, a lot of Rails
> users are going with PostgreSQL.

Right on.  We're running http://getindi.com/ on Rails + PostgreSQL, and
I make a point of occasionally scanning the Rails mailing list for folks
having problems with getting Rails working with PostgreSQL.  A couple of
times it's been that they're spelling the database adaptor as "postgres"
vs "postgresql" :-)

Yours,

Tom

Re: PostgreSQL book market up 84%

From
"Luke Lonergan"
Date:
Guido,

On 4/21/06 1:53 PM, "Guido Barosio" <gbarosio@gmail.com> wrote:

> quote: "A surprise to many may be the strong growth of PostgreSQL, up
> 84% over a year ago. We've also been hearing some signs of growth in
> the Postgres market from our "alpha geek" radar, with reasons given
> including better support for geo data, and better handling of very
> large data sets. New companies like Greenplum and EnterpriseDB have
> also brought a little focus to this market. We're updating our
> PostgreSQL book, and watching this market closely."

"Bizgres MPP's great performance and ability to scale to large data volumes
is impressive and necessary as we acquire and analyze large and growing data
sets. With Bizgres MPP, processes that used to take 10 hours now run in
under 7 minutes." - Roger Magoulas, O'Reilly Media

O'Reilly rocks!

- Luke

Re: PostgreSQL book market up 84%

From
"Guido Barosio"
Date:
Indeed, and so does Bizgres.

Postgresql rocks since it was born, or more o less.
Bizgres, either.
O'Reilly, kings

The fact is that it is ".. 84% over a year ago."

A year ago, there was a major release, spreading the market, with a
new port too. It was a massive hit I believe. Would like to see how
many of these books are post 8.0.

BTW, where is greenplum based, received a few calls after downloading
the stuff, but they allways forget to mention the country code for a
callback, while leaving voice messages :)

g.-

--
Guido Barosio
-----------------------

Re: PostgreSQL book market up 84%

From
"Luke Lonergan"
Date:
Guido,

On 4/21/06 2:31 PM, "Guido Barosio" <gbarosio@gmail.com> wrote:

> A year ago, there was a major release, spreading the market, with a
> new port too. It was a massive hit I believe. Would like to see how
> many of these books are post 8.0.

Yup! 8.1 is a real turning point.

> BTW, where is greenplum based, received a few calls after downloading
> the stuff, but they allways forget to mention the country code for a
> callback, while leaving voice messages :)

Hmm - we're in the US, in San Mateo, CA.  Will remind our folk about that.

- Luke

Re: PostgreSQL book market up 84%

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Friday 21 April 2006 17:31, Guido Barosio wrote:
> A year ago, there was a major release, spreading the market, with a
> new port too. It was a massive hit I believe. Would like to see how
> many of these books are post 8.0.

From the book folks I have talked with, the 8.0 release was critical, because
it open up postgresql to the casual windows developer, which expanded the
market large enough to make postgresql books interesting to them.  For the
curious, the timeline goes something like this (keep in mind though that all
of these books started at least 3-6 months ahead of thier publication date):

2005-01-19 8.0 released
2005-04-06 Beginning Databases w/ PostgreSQL (2nd Edition)
2005-07-26 PostgreSQL (2nd Edition)
2005-11-08 8.1 released
2006-02-27 Begining PHP and PostgreSQL 8

Korrys book is currently the best seller on this list, though I am kind of
partial to that last one :-)

--
Robert Treat