Re: PostgreSQL book market up 84% - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: PostgreSQL book market up 84%
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Friday 21 April 2006 17:31, Guido Barosio wrote:
> A year ago, there was a major release, spreading the market, with a
> new port too. It was a massive hit I believe. Would like to see how
> many of these books are post 8.0.

From the book folks I have talked with, the 8.0 release was critical, because
it open up postgresql to the casual windows developer, which expanded the
market large enough to make postgresql books interesting to them.  For the
curious, the timeline goes something like this (keep in mind though that all
of these books started at least 3-6 months ahead of thier publication date):

2005-01-19 8.0 released
2005-04-06 Beginning Databases w/ PostgreSQL (2nd Edition)
2005-07-26 PostgreSQL (2nd Edition)
2005-11-08 8.1 released
2006-02-27 Begining PHP and PostgreSQL 8

Korrys book is currently the best seller on this list, though I am kind of
partial to that last one :-)

--
Robert Treat