new project submissions on pgfoundry active?

From
Chris Mair
Date:
Hello,

does anybody know what the current state of new project submissions at
pgfoundry is?

I submitted a new project 2006-02-13 but didn't hear anything since
then... except for the automatic confirmation mail.

I didn't get an answer on the PG foundry forum for some time now, so
I'm posting this here (sorry, I realize I'm slightly OT)...

Bye :)
Chris.

Re: new project submissions on pgfoundry active?

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Sun, 5 Mar 2006, Chris Mair wrote:

> Hello,
>
> does anybody know what the current state of new project submissions at
> pgfoundry is?
>
> I submitted a new project 2006-02-13 but didn't hear anything since
> then... except for the automatic confirmation mail.

We generally try and respond within 24-48 hours ... which project did you
submit?

----

Date:
> > does anybody know what the current state of new project submissions at
> > pgfoundry is?
> >
> > I submitted a new project 2006-02-13 but didn't hear anything since
> > then... except for the automatic confirmation mail.
>
> We generally try and respond within 24-48 hours ... which project did you
> submit?

Thanks for the quick reply!

The project is called: OraToPg.
Confirmation mail has the time stamp:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:01:38 +0000 (GMT)  (22:01 CET)

Bye :)
Chris.

Re: new project submissions on pgfoundry active?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Chris,

> Thanks for the quick reply!
>
> The project is called: OraToPg.
> Confirmation mail has the time stamp:
> Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:01:38 +0000 (GMT)  (22:01 CET)

Yeah, this is my fault; I was supposed to follow up with you but I've been
so busy that I didn't get the e-mail out.  My question for you was: how is
this related to the Ora2Pg project elsewhere on the net?   Completely
unrelated?  Same code?

Thanks.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: new project submissions on pgfoundry active?

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Chris,
>
> > Thanks for the quick reply!
> >
> > The project is called: OraToPg.
> > Confirmation mail has the time stamp:
> > Mon, 13 Feb 2006 21:01:38 +0000 (GMT)  (22:01 CET)
>
> Yeah, this is my fault; I was supposed to follow up with you but I've been
> so busy that I didn't get the e-mail out.  My question for you was: how is
> this related to the Ora2Pg project elsewhere on the net?   Completely
> unrelated?  Same code?
>
> Thanks.

It is completely unrelated. The name is a (confusing) coincidence.

Gavin

Re: OraToPg WAS: new project submissions on pgfoundry active?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Gavin, Chris,

> It is completely unrelated. The name is a (confusing) coincidence.

Can we call it something else then?   Anything else?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Date:
On Mon, 6 Mar 2006, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Gavin, Chris,
>
> > It is completely unrelated. The name is a (confusing) coincidence.
>
> Can we call it something else then?   Anything else?

That's up to Chris, I've just been hacking on the project privately.

Date:
> Gavin, Chris,
>
> > It is completely unrelated. The name is a (confusing) coincidence.

Yes, I confirm it's unrelated.

> Can we call it something else then?   Anything else?

I think so.
I'll have to check with some other people if it's ok for them
and what the new name might be.

I'll let you know :)

Bye, Chris.

Re: OraToPg WAS: new project submissions on

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
I'll have to check with some other people if it's ok for them
and what the new name might be.

As a side note, OraToPg is a REALLY cool project that should get more visibility than it does.  It's definitely the best tool available for converting Oracle packages, functions, etc. to native PostgreSQL.  Keep up the good work!

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation

Date:
>> I think so.
>> I'll have to check with some other people if it's ok for them
>> and what the new name might be.
>

> As a side note, OraToPg is a REALLY cool project that should get more
> visibility than it does.  It's definitely the best tool available for
> converting Oracle packages, functions, etc. to native PostgreSQL.  Keep
> up the good work!

Thanks :)

I'd say at the moment it's quite academic/experimental, though.
We're getting it on pgfoundry (I hope :)  precisely to make it more
visible and
see what happens.

We came up with a new name now... I'll keep the suspence for the next mail :)

Bye, Chris.

Date:
>> It is completely unrelated. The name is a (confusing) coincidence.
>
> Can we call it something else then?   Anything else?

Hi there,

at last we came up with a new name: we'd like to call the project
"protopg" (which would stand for PROprietary TO PostGresql).
With all lowercase spelling.

Josh,
would that name qualify?

Bye :)
Chris.

Re: OraToPg WAS: new project submissions on

From
Stéphane SCHILDKNECHT
Date:
Chris Mair wrote:

>>>I think so.
>>>I'll have to check with some other people if it's ok for them
>>>and what the new name might be.
>>>

>>As a side note, OraToPg is a REALLY cool project that should get more
>>visibility than it does.  It's definitely the best tool available for
>>converting Oracle packages, functions, etc. to native PostgreSQL.  Keep
>>up the good work!
>>

>Thanks :)
>
>I'd say at the moment it's quite academic/experimental, though.
>We're getting it on pgfoundry (I hope :)  precisely to make it more
>visible and
>see what happens.
>
>We came up with a new name now... I'll keep the suspence for the next mail :)
>
>Bye, Chris.

>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Hi,

Sorry for asking,

but...
How different from ora2pg is OraToPg ?

Stéphane SCHILDKNECHT
Président de PostgreSQLFr
http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Date:
> but...
> How different from ora2pg is OraToPg ?

completely different :)

protopg (formerly known as oratopg) tries to implemente a parser that
on the fly translates SQL and PL dialects from Oracle's variant to
the standard and/or PG variant. It's in an proof-of-concept/alpha stage.
It hopefully will appear on pgfoundry soon.

ora2pg is (as far as I know, but it's a long time since I used it) a Perl
tool that can read data from oracle DBs and store into PG DBs.
Think of an export/import tool. It's considered stable. It's part of
PostgreSQL's contrib package.

Bye, Chris.

PS: Oracle is a TM etc...

Re: OraToPg WAS: new project submissions on pgfoundry active?

From
Jim Nasby
Date:
On Mar 8, 2006, at 3:10 AM, Chris Mair wrote:

>>> It is completely unrelated. The name is a (confusing) coincidence.
>>
>> Can we call it something else then?   Anything else?
>
> Hi there,
>
> at last we came up with a new name: we'd like to call the project
> "protopg" (which would stand for PROprietary TO PostGresql).
> With all lowercase spelling.
>
> Josh,
> would that name qualify?

So do you intend to eventually support other databases? That'd be
cool (to say the least). How expandable is the current architecture?

Date:
> So do you intend to eventually support other databases? That'd be
> cool (to say the least). How expandable is the current architecture?

Not very expandable.

The problem is that we basically just started to code a bison grammar
file for (some small subset of) Oracle(TM) SQL and PL/SQL elements and
from there the whole thing grew in a somewhat kludgy way.

Anyway, it's a start. Maybe pgfoundry can help improve things a bit.

Regarding other databases, some work was initially done on Informix,
but there's not much generic code and the Informix pieces are
not part of what eventually became protopg.

I'd say, just have a look at the whole thing when it'll appear on
pgfoundry (I hope soon).

Bye :)
Chris.