Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
Jonathan Gennick
Date:
Josh Drake pointed me to a recent thread titled "Thoughts after
discussions at OSCON". (I'm his editor on PostgreSQL: The Definitive
Guide) The main thrust of the thread didn't seem to be book
publishing, but a few comments caught my eye, so I'd like to jump in
and respond.

Robert Bernier said:
>I would imagine companies like
>Oracle etc. have a subsidy system that makes it possible for authors
>to earch income while they write (does anybody know for sure?).

Publishers often give writers an advance. It would be highly unusual
though, for a company like Oracle to to subsidize authors directly.
Were that occurring, I would almost certainly have heard about it.
What Oracle *does* do is give authors entry into beta programs and
access to product managers who can answer questions.

McGraw Hill / Osborne has the Oracle Press deal. I don't know the
details of that deal for certain, but I do know a little of "X press"
type deals in general. McGraw Hill likely pays Oracle a certain
percentage of sales for the right to stamp "Oracle Press" on the
covers of their books. Oracle might have some leverage to ensure that
books get published that would otherwise not make economic sense. And
I have known Oracle to subsidize certain books by paying the publisher
(as opposed to the author doing all the work<grin>).

Oracle has significantly changed the way they work with authors over
the past few years. From the standpoint of getting access into Oracle,
there is no real advantage to writing for Oracle Press. They've really
reached out on an equal basis to everyone who wants to write about
their products, which is a smart move, IMHO.

But I'm digressing too much. The short answer is that I'd be very
surprised to find Oracle subsidizing an author directly.

Rick Morris said:
> Speaking of education, I think the coolest thing we can do is put
> together a library of examples that show how to save time and effort
> with the relational model, while increasing the value of your data. "Why
> the Relational Model Saves you Time", or something like that.

You might have the germ of a good book idea there, actually.

Greg Sabino Mullane said:
> We certainly are not gaining "geek mindshare" as fast as we should.
> It doesn't help that O'Reilly seems to be in bed with MySQL AB
> (exhibit one: the joint MySQL conference).

We're "in bed" with MySQL only to the extent that any company would be
"in bed" with an important client. O'Reilly's Conferences division is
its own profit-center, and they have done well at growing their
business. MySQL is a company that wanted to put on a conference. Our
conferences division bid on that deal and won it. Please don't hold
that against us.

We lost in the bidding for the "MySQL Press" deal, much to our
chagrin. So we're not as tight with MySQL as we'd like to be.

Christopher Browne said:
> It seems to me that APress is a plausible publisher to "bias towards;"
> the last couple of books that I have found *very* interesting were
> published by them.

> They have published some things O'Reilly wouldn't (on zsh, Common
> Lisp), in areas that actually have gotten them sales (as in "having to
> do second printings").

It is true. I have seen APress publish on topics that I can't touch.
Their cost structure is obviously different enough to let them publish
titles that O'Reilly would lose money on.

> Lisp people got in something of a snit because O'Reilly had a
> published policy that they wouldn't take such books.  The *wise* move
> was and is to take would-be book offerings elsewhere.

O'Reilly has no "policy" against Lisp books. That said, for some
reason we've had several people approach us recently about publishing
on Lisp, and we've consistently had to pass. The entire Lisp book
market this year, so far, amounts to only some $74,000. That's
according to Neilsen Bookscan (see http://www.bookscan.com/about.html
), which tracks through-the-register sales as reported by some 4500
bookstores across the country. That $74,000 is divided amongst two
titles. Were we to enter the Lisp market, we'd fracture it; we'd be
lucky to reap 1/3 of $74k. We have a limited number of editors and
editorial bandwidth, and we need to focus on books with greater
revenue potential than what I currently see in the Lisp market. Jobs
depend on our doing that.

Oh, by the way, don't read too much into a second printing. Some
publishers do very small print runs. We do. APress probably does as
well. We prefer small runs over large inventory. Knowing that a
publisher had to reprint a book says nothing about sales unless you
have intimate knowledge of the publisher's printing practices.

Tom Copeland said:
> Just a thought on this.  Self-publishing is another route to take; if
> you print 5000 softcover books for about $10K and then sell them for
> $29.99 each, well, do the math :-)

Self-publishing is not an easy road to take. But, were I not working
for a publisher I'd be sorely tempted to try it on my next book. But
I say that having been published a few times, and having learned a bit
about the industry.

BTW, I've a friend who actually makes a decent, part-time income from
self-publishing books and CDs. Here's a link:

http://www.greatlakeslegends.com/cd.htm

My friend puts a lot of work into making his money though. He's got a
product that appeals to tourists in a given geographical area. During
spring and early summers he spends weeks on the road going from one
small gift-shop to the next, working to get his books and albums
stocked in as many places as he can. He makes money, but he works
*really* hard for it. And during the off-season (late summer through
the end of winter), he works as a painter to make money, because
tourisim here is seasonal.

I don't have a geographical niche, but I'm fairly well-known in the
Oracle space, and it'll be interesting someday to see how much I could
leverage that noteriety (not that I have all that much to leverage) to
market a self-published book. But that day hasn't come yet.

Somebody pointed out that O'Reilly has only one PostgreSQL book.
That's true. It's something I hope to change in the long-term, but
first we (as in O'Reilly) need to get one PostgreSQL book on the shelf
that sells in good numbers. If we can do that, more investment will
follow. (BTW, according to Bookscan PostgreSQL accounts for only $47k
of revenue so far this year, less actually than Lisp) Sometimes too,
an extraordinarily good outline will often move a publisher to publish
on a topic that they might otherwise pass by.

I guess that's all I have to add to the discussion. I hope no one
minds too much my jumping in. Feel free to ask questions about
anything I've said.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
Editor, O'Reilly Media
906.387.1698   mailto:jgennick@oreilly.com

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 18:56 -0400, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> BTW, according to Bookscan PostgreSQL accounts for only $47k
> of revenue so far this year, less actually than Lisp

Hi Jonathan,

Good to have you post and very interesting too.

You had me until that statement above, cos that just sounds too much
like a self fulfilling prophecy.... especially since, as we know, the
current books are all out of date.

If your average spend on books per download of PostgreSQL is about 6
cents, I think there's something wrong somewhere. [775,000 downloads
this year]

Mind you, a salutory lesson for us all....

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

> If your average spend on books per download of PostgreSQL is about 6
> cents, I think there's something wrong somewhere. [775,000 downloads
> this year]

Yes but how many of those downloads turned into someone actually using
the software? Probably 5%. How many of those downloads are from people
who already use the software? I have downloaded it myself probably 30
times this year.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 7:28:38 PM, Simon Riggs (simon@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
SR> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 18:56 -0400, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
>> BTW, according to Bookscan PostgreSQL accounts for only $47k
>> of revenue so far this year, less actually than Lisp

SR> Hi Jonathan,

SR> Good to have you post and very interesting too.

SR> You had me until that statement above, cos that just sounds too much
SR> like a self fulfilling prophecy.... especially since, as we know, the
SR> current books are all out of date.

I don't doubt that the out-of-date books hurt sales. That's very
likely true. Whenever you look at those Bookscan numbers you have to
give a bit of thought pub dates. But the numbers above are the numbers
that Bookscan reports.

Sometimes you have to think about titles too. I only searched on the
word "PostgreSQL". Do most PostgreSQL books have that word in the
title? Perhaps so, but for other topics it isn't quite so easy to pin
down search terms that take in the entire topic of interest.

And Bookscan numbers represent the past, which may or may not
correlate to the future.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
Editor, O'Reilly Media
906.387.1698   mailto:jgennick@oreilly.com

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> If your average spend on books per download of PostgreSQL is about 6
>> cents, I think there's something wrong somewhere. [775,000 downloads
>> this year]
>
> Yes but how many of those downloads turned into someone actually using the
> software? Probably 5%. How many of those downloads are from people
> who already use the software? I have downloaded it myself probably 30 times
> this year.

Definitely concur with that, as I know I've downloaded several hundred
copies between reinstalling computers, upgrading postgresql versions, etc

----

Date:
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Jonathan Gennick wrote:

> Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 7:28:38 PM, Simon Riggs (simon@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> SR> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 18:56 -0400, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
>>> BTW, according to Bookscan PostgreSQL accounts for only $47k
>>> of revenue so far this year, less actually than Lisp
>
> SR> Hi Jonathan,
>
> SR> Good to have you post and very interesting too.
>
> SR> You had me until that statement above, cos that just sounds too much
> SR> like a self fulfilling prophecy.... especially since, as we know, the
> SR> current books are all out of date.
>
> I don't doubt that the out-of-date books hurt sales. That's very
> likely true. Whenever you look at those Bookscan numbers you have to
> give a bit of thought pub dates. But the numbers above are the numbers
> that Bookscan reports.
>
> Sometimes you have to think about titles too. I only searched on the
> word "PostgreSQL". Do most PostgreSQL books have that word in the
> title? Perhaps so, but for other topics it isn't quite so easy to pin
> down search terms that take in the entire topic of interest.
>
> And Bookscan numbers represent the past, which may or may not
> correlate to the future.

The past what?  is there a way of seeing last years #s, or the year
before?  To get some sort of 'histogram of sales'?

----

Date:
Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 8:44:13 PM, Marc G. Fournier (scrappy@postgresql.org) wrote:
MGF> The past what?  is there a way of seeing last years #s, or the year
MGF> before?  To get some sort of 'histogram of sales'?

Yes. It's pretty easy to see current and previous years. Try this. Go
to the following URL:

http://data.oreilly.com/tools/search

I believe you can hit it from outside our firewall.

Type in a title word (or any other search criteria) and hit Search.
You should see some results. You won't be able to drill down from
outside the firewall though (sorry).

Bookscan actually tracks sales back to 2001, but our interface only
shows the current and previous years.

Ruby presents an excellent example of my point about "the past" that I
made in my earlier note, that Bookscan's past results don't
necessarily indicate the future. For years there were just two Ruby
books on the market (at least that made it to the Bookscan list): ours
and one by Sams. Sales were dismal, so of course we didn't want any
more books like that, right? Well, we were so wrong. Along came
Pragmatic, they pub'd a book on Ruby in October of last year, and they
completely blew us out of the water. I'm rather hoping something like
that happens with the book Josh is revising for us now.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
Editor, O'Reilly Media
906.387.1698   mailto:jgennick@oreilly.com

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
Tom Copeland
Date:
On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 18:56 -0400, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> Josh Drake pointed me to a recent thread titled "Thoughts after
> discussions at OSCON". (I'm his editor on PostgreSQL: The Definitive
> Guide) The main thrust of the thread didn't seem to be book
> publishing, but a few comments caught my eye, so I'd like to jump in
> and respond.

Thanks very much for your interesting comments!  It's always nice to
hear about this stuff from someone who does it for a living.

> Self-publishing is not an easy road to take. But, were I not working
> for a publisher I'd be sorely tempted to try it on my next book. But
> I say that having been published a few times, and having learned a bit
> about the industry.

Yup, it's a ton of work (*), and there's the initial outlay of cash for
printing it up that kind of gives one pause for thought.  Hearing that
PostgreSQL gets 775K downloads a year makes me wonder how many book
sales PMD's approx 60K downloads a year will yield, too.  But financial
risks aside, writing a book on a subject has forced me to dive into many
nooks and crannies that I otherwise would have avoided.  Why, I've
actually had to read those compiler books that have been quietly resting
on my shelves for so long!  :-)

This is preaching to the choir, but it'd be great if some more books on
PostgreSQL appeared.  I've got the pink O'Reilly one (Practical
PostgreSQL?) but it's getting pretty long in the tooth...

Yours,

Tom

(*) http://pmdapplied.com/

Date:
On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 22:20 -0400, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> Yes. It's pretty easy to see current and previous years. Try this. Go
> to the following URL:
>
> http://data.oreilly.com/tools/search
>
> I believe you can hit it from outside our firewall.

Fascinating stuff, thanks again!

> Ruby presents an excellent example of my point about "the past" that I
> made in my earlier note, that Bookscan's past results don't
> necessarily indicate the future. For years there were just two Ruby
> books on the market (at least that made it to the Bookscan list): ours
> and one by Sams. Sales were dismal, so of course we didn't want any
> more books like that, right? Well, we were so wrong. Along came
> Pragmatic, they pub'd a book on Ruby in October of last year, and they
> completely blew us out of the water. I'm rather hoping something like
> that happens with the book Josh is revising for us now.

Amazing that Ruby on Rails is only a year old.  Ruby + Rails +
PostgreSQL is a great combination, and it's very easy to get started
with since there's a pure Ruby driver (*) for PostgreSQL.  I'm working
on a thingy for work right now that uses that combination... good times.

Yours,

Tom

(*) postgres-pr at http://rubyforge.org/projects/ruby-dbi/

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
George Essig
Date:
On 8/10/05, Jonathan Gennick <jgennick@oreilly.com> wrote:
> Ruby presents an excellent example of my point about "the past" that I
> made in my earlier note, that Bookscan's past results don't
> necessarily indicate the future. For years there were just two Ruby
> books on the market (at least that made it to the Bookscan list): ours
> and one by Sams. Sales were dismal, so of course we didn't want any
> more books like that, right? Well, we were so wrong. Along came
> Pragmatic, they pub'd a book on Ruby in October of last year, and they
> completely blew us out of the water. I'm rather hoping something like
> that happens with the book Josh is revising for us now.

I hope the new edition of Practical PostgreSQL sells well too.  Please
replace the chapter on LXP (http://commandprompt.com/ppbook/lxp) with
something else.  For me, the LXP chapter was the deciding factor in
not buying the book.  The LXP chapter seemed like filler or a means to
promote a product.  I have never seen LXP discussed anywhere else.

George Essig

Date:
>I hope the new edition of Practical PostgreSQL sells well too.  Please
>replace the chapter on LXP (http://commandprompt.com/ppbook/lxp) with
>something else.  For me, the LXP chapter was the deciding factor in
>not buying the book.  The LXP chapter seemed like filler or a means to
>promote a product.  I have never seen LXP discussed anywhere else.

I decided to remove the LXP chapter some time ago.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>George Essig

>TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Tom, Jonathan, Folks,

> This is preaching to the choir, but it'd be great if some more books on
> PostgreSQL appeared.  I've got the pink O'Reilly one (Practical
> PostgreSQL?) but it's getting pretty long in the tooth...

Actually, the big problem with PostgreSQL books is not lack of demand but lack
of authors.   I've had requests from a number of publishers, and our own book
(me & Joe) is running behind due to overwork.

Finding database book authors period is hard, because the people most
qualified to write database books generally don't have time to do so.  The
MySQL community, for whatever reason has done a good job of promoting
qualified people to write.

So what I'm saying is that nobody can criticize ORA for not publishing
Postgres books when they're not getting any proposals.  If anyone reading
this thread would *like* to be a postgreSQL book author, e-mail me, I'll hook
you up (not necessarily with O'Reilly).

BTW, Jonathan, I get the feeling that Bookscan results (for some reason) only
cover about 20% of sales for tech books.  At least, I was able to check
royalty statements with couple of authors, and they indicated that the
authors sold at least 4x what BookScan reports.   Does this match ORA
figures?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
Oleg Bartunov
Date:

---559023410-1857409239-1123738729=:5280

I have asked by our russian publisher to write book but they pay too
little. This is a main reason I'm not an author, in spite of I understand
it's important

     Oleg

btw, Josh, your messages contain some bad characters which break my1;2c termina1;2cl1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c1;2c.
1;2c
On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Tom, Jonathan, Folks,
>
>> This is preaching to the choir, but it'd be great if some more books on
>> PostgreSQL appeared.  I've got the pink O'Reilly one (Practical
>> PostgreSQL?) but it's getting pretty long in the tooth...
>
> Actually, the big problem with PostgreSQL books is not lack of demand but lack
> of authors.   I've had requests from a number of publishers, and our own book
> (m1;2ce & Joe) is running behind due to overwork.
>
> Finding database book authors period is hard, because the people most
> qualified to write database books generally don't have time to do so.  The
> MySQL community, for whatever reason has done a good job of promoting
> qualified people to write.
>
> So what I'm saying is that nobody can criticize ORA for not publishing
> Postgres books when they're not getting any proposals.  If anyone reading
> this thread would *like* to be a postgreSQL book author, e-mail me, I'll hook
> you up (not necessarily with O'Reilly).
>
> BTW, Jonathan, I get the feeling that Bookscan results (for some reason) only
> cover about 20% of sales for tech books.  At least, I was able to check
> royalty statements with couple of authors, and they indicated that the
> authors sold at least 4x what BookScan reports.   Does this match ORA
> figures?

     Regards,
         Oleg
phone: +007(095)939-16-83, +007(095)939-23-83
---559023410-1857409239-1123738729=:5280--

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
> >> If your average spend on books per download of PostgreSQL
> is about 6
> >> cents, I think there's something wrong somewhere. [775,000
> downloads
> >> this year]
> >
> > Yes but how many of those downloads turned into someone
> actually using
> > the software? Probably 5%. How many of those downloads are
> from people
> > who already use the software? I have downloaded it myself
> probably 30
> > times this year.
>
> Definitely concur with that, as I know I've downloaded
> several hundred copies between reinstalling computers,
> upgrading postgresql versions, etc ...

But do you download it through the website? AFAIK, direct downloads from
the mirrors are *not* included in the count above - it's just the
clickthrough counts on the website..

//Magnus

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
Robert Treat
Date:
Yes, I think Josh left out that part of the story... that for a lot of people
qualified to write a book you can make more doing consulting work.

Robert Treat

Date:
On Thu, 11 Aug 2005, Magnus Hagander wrote:

>> is about 6
>> downloads
>>>
>>> Yes but how many of those downloads turned into someone
>> actually using
>>> the software? Probably 5%. How many of those downloads are
>> from people
>>> who already use the software? I have downloaded it myself
>> probably 30
>>> times this year.
>>
>> Definitely concur with that, as I know I've downloaded
>> several hundred copies between reinstalling computers,
>> upgrading postgresql versions, etc ...
>
> But do you download it through the website? AFAIK, direct downloads from
> the mirrors are *not* included in the count above - it's just the
> clickthrough counts on the website..

How is that applicable?  The point is that the 775k # is not a "distinct"
#, and doesn't take into account the multiple downloads that happen over
the year ... I just happen to get mine directly from an ftp server, but I
could just have easily gotten my multiple downloads by doing a "fetch"
from the web site itself ...

----

Date:
> >> actually using
> >> from people
> >> probably 30
> >>
> >> Definitely concur with that, as I know I've downloaded several
> >> hundred copies between reinstalling computers, upgrading
> postgresql
> >> versions, etc ...
> >
> > But do you download it through the website? AFAIK, direct downloads
> > from the mirrors are *not* included in the count above -
> it's just the
> > clickthrough counts on the website..
>
> How is that applicable?  The point is that the 775k # is not
> a "distinct"
> #, and doesn't take into account the multiple downloads that
> happen over the year ... I just happen to get mine directly
> from an ftp server, but I could just have easily gotten my
> multiple downloads by doing a "fetch"
> from the web site itself ...

I was thinking people get the first one from the website, but then if
they fetch more they get it from the ftp server directly.
That of course also means you don't count *at all* in the 775k - the
same for everybody who get their postgresql shipped with their
faviourite linux/bsd/whatever distro.

//Magnus

Date:
>But do you download it through the website? AFAIK, direct downloads from
>the mirrors are *not* included in the count above - it's just the
>clickthrough counts on the website..

It depends. Sometimes.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>//Magnus

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Thu, Aug 11, 2005 at 05:04:36AM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> Yes, I think Josh left out that part of the story... that for a lot of people
> qualified to write a book you can make more doing consulting work.

Well, I suppose; but I suspect in this line of work, you need to
think of the book as a loss leader.  The work is lost opportunity,
but it will later drive up your rates as "Author of _x_".  Or, that's
how it's rumoured to work, anyway ;-)

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
Information security isn't a technological problem.  It's an economics
problem.
        --Bruce Schneier

Date:
On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 20:32, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 7:28:38 PM, Simon Riggs (simon@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> SR> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 18:56 -0400, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> >> BTW, according to Bookscan PostgreSQL accounts for only $47k
> >> of revenue so far this year, less actually than Lisp
>
> SR> Hi Jonathan,
>
> SR> Good to have you post and very interesting too.
>
> SR> You had me until that statement above, cos that just sounds too much
> SR> like a self fulfilling prophecy.... especially since, as we know, the
> SR> current books are all out of date.
>
> I don't doubt that the out-of-date books hurt sales. That's very
> likely true. Whenever you look at those Bookscan numbers you have to
> give a bit of thought pub dates. But the numbers above are the numbers
> that Bookscan reports.

Actually I think there is more to it. Apress released a book on LISP and
a book on PostgreSQL both in April of this year, and to date (according
to oriellys numbers) about 2.5 to 1. Now there could be a variety of
factors that are involved with this, but one thing I noticed is that the
LISP book has more reviews available on it than any of the postgresql
books. Perhaps one thing that is needed is people from within the
community being a little more active raising awareness of postgresql to
people outside the community, for example in amazon reviews or slashdot
book review articles.

Robert Treat

Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL

From
Christopher Browne
Date:
> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 20:32, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
>> Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 7:28:38 PM, Simon Riggs (simon@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
>>
>> SR> Hi Jonathan,
>>
>> SR> Good to have you post and very interesting too.
>>
>> SR> You had me until that statement above, cos that just sounds too much
>> SR> like a self fulfilling prophecy.... especially since, as we know, the
>> SR> current books are all out of date.
>>
>> I don't doubt that the out-of-date books hurt sales. That's very
>> likely true. Whenever you look at those Bookscan numbers you have
>> to give a bit of thought pub dates. But the numbers above are the
>> numbers that Bookscan reports.
>
> Actually I think there is more to it. Apress released a book on LISP
> and a book on PostgreSQL both in April of this year, and to date
> (according to oriellys numbers) about 2.5 to 1. Now there could be a
> variety of factors that are involved with this, but one thing I
> noticed is that the LISP book has more reviews available on it than
> any of the postgresql books. Perhaps one thing that is needed is
> people from within the community being a little more active raising
> awareness of postgresql to people outside the community, for example
> in amazon reviews or slashdot book review articles.

I'd associate another factor as being significant...

The Matthew/Stones book is a "subsequent edition," a re-issuance of
what they had previously published at Wrox, and therefore mostly Not
New.  "Not news."  There are people that already have the earlier
edition that wouldn't bother buying the new one.

Peter Siebel's book had never been released before, and therefore
nobody already had it.  100% "fresh" sales.

But I'd not dispute that there is some value to doing some
promotion...
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "moc.liamg" "@" "enworbbc"))
http://cbbrowne.com/info/