Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Jonathan Gennick
Subject Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL  (Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net>)
List pgsql-advocacy
Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 7:28:38 PM, Simon Riggs (simon@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
SR> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 18:56 -0400, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
>> BTW, according to Bookscan PostgreSQL accounts for only $47k
>> of revenue so far this year, less actually than Lisp

SR> Hi Jonathan,

SR> Good to have you post and very interesting too.

SR> You had me until that statement above, cos that just sounds too much
SR> like a self fulfilling prophecy.... especially since, as we know, the
SR> current books are all out of date.

I don't doubt that the out-of-date books hurt sales. That's very
likely true. Whenever you look at those Bookscan numbers you have to
give a bit of thought pub dates. But the numbers above are the numbers
that Bookscan reports.

Sometimes you have to think about titles too. I only searched on the
word "PostgreSQL". Do most PostgreSQL books have that word in the
title? Perhaps so, but for other topics it isn't quite so easy to pin
down search terms that take in the entire topic of interest.

And Bookscan numbers represent the past, which may or may not
correlate to the future.

Best regards,

Jonathan Gennick
Editor, O'Reilly Media