Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 20:32, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> Wednesday, August 10, 2005, 7:28:38 PM, Simon Riggs (simon@2ndquadrant.com) wrote:
> SR> On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 18:56 -0400, Jonathan Gennick wrote:
> >> BTW, according to Bookscan PostgreSQL accounts for only $47k
> >> of revenue so far this year, less actually than Lisp
>
> SR> Hi Jonathan,
>
> SR> Good to have you post and very interesting too.
>
> SR> You had me until that statement above, cos that just sounds too much
> SR> like a self fulfilling prophecy.... especially since, as we know, the
> SR> current books are all out of date.
>
> I don't doubt that the out-of-date books hurt sales. That's very
> likely true. Whenever you look at those Bookscan numbers you have to
> give a bit of thought pub dates. But the numbers above are the numbers
> that Bookscan reports.

Actually I think there is more to it. Apress released a book on LISP and
a book on PostgreSQL both in April of this year, and to date (according
to oriellys numbers) about 2.5 to 1. Now there could be a variety of
factors that are involved with this, but one thing I noticed is that the
LISP book has more reviews available on it than any of the postgresql
books. Perhaps one thing that is needed is people from within the
community being a little more active raising awareness of postgresql to
people outside the community, for example in amazon reviews or slashdot
book review articles.

Robert Treat