Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From George Essig
Subject Re: Publishing and PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On 8/10/05, Jonathan Gennick <jgennick@oreilly.com> wrote:
> Ruby presents an excellent example of my point about "the past" that I
> made in my earlier note, that Bookscan's past results don't
> necessarily indicate the future. For years there were just two Ruby
> books on the market (at least that made it to the Bookscan list): ours
> and one by Sams. Sales were dismal, so of course we didn't want any
> more books like that, right? Well, we were so wrong. Along came
> Pragmatic, they pub'd a book on Ruby in October of last year, and they
> completely blew us out of the water. I'm rather hoping something like
> that happens with the book Josh is revising for us now.

I hope the new edition of Practical PostgreSQL sells well too.  Please
replace the chapter on LXP (http://commandprompt.com/ppbook/lxp) with
something else.  For me, the LXP chapter was the deciding factor in
not buying the book.  The LXP chapter seemed like filler or a means to
promote a product.  I have never seen LXP discussed anywhere else.

George Essig