PostgreSQL Booth at LinuxWorld

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

I heard EnterpriseDB mention that they are hosting the community within
their booth at LinuxWorld this year. Question... Why isn't the community
having their own booth?

I am not criticizing EnterpriseDB, I am glad they are willing to host
the space but it seems the community should have their own space for the
show.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: PostgreSQL Booth at LinuxWorld

From
"Denis Lussier"
Date:
Hi JD,

- The PG community did not reserve a booth in time and Linux World was all sold out of the free community booths.

- EDB is donating a dedicated area of our twenty by twenty booth for the community.

- All Postgres community companies are extremely welcome in the booth, hope to see you there.

--Denis Lussier
   Chief Architect & Chairman

I heard EnterpriseDB mention that they are hosting the community within
their booth at LinuxWorld this year. Question... Why isn't the community
having their own booth?

I am not criticizing EnterpriseDB, I am glad they are willing to host
the space but it seems the community should have their own space for the
show.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: PostgreSQL Booth at LinuxWorld

From
Brian Kilpatrick
Date:
Had a somewhat similar issue in Boston in Feb. SRAA and OpenMFG managed
to get a regular booth, and the event turned out well after all.

I am glad to hear that you guys were able to pick up the ball for SF.

Brian

On Aug 6, 2005, at 12:33 AM, Denis Lussier wrote:

> Hi JD,
>
> - The PG community did not reserve a booth in time and Linux World
> was all sold out of the free community booths.
>

> - EDB is donating a dedicated area of our twenty by twenty booth for
> the community.
>
> - All Postgres community companies are extremely welcome in the booth,
> hope to see you there.
>
> --Denis Lussier
>    Chief Architect & Chairman
>    http://www.enterprisedb.com

Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

> I heard EnterpriseDB mention that they are hosting the community within
> their booth at LinuxWorld this year. Question... Why isn't the community
> having their own booth?

What, like OSCON?   <grin>

Due to exceptionally high demand for .ORG booths this year, we got bounced
from having a booth (also due to a snag with my old fax machine).   As it
turns out, being with eDB has some significant benefits, not the least of
which is that we'll be on the main show floor which the .ORGs will *not*.
Also eDB is making us some nice signage and CDs.

It also makes our booth setup etc. considerably easier, as it did at OSCON, if
PG-supporting companies are willing to help.

> I am not criticizing EnterpriseDB, I am glad they are willing to host
> the space but it seems the community should have their own space for the
> show.

Well, maybe next year we can talk about a Foundation booth with all of the
companies who desire involved.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: PostgreSQL Booth at LinuxWorld

From
Brian Kilpatrick
Date:
When Josh (Drake) and I were talking about the booth for OSCON we had a
couple of different ideas. One was to get a strictly commercial booth
as well as a community booth. Doing so was, as envisioned, was to allow
'hawking of wares' to to speak as well as just normal community banter.

However splitting it like that was ultimately rejected on logistical
and staff issues. The upside was we got a double sized booth for the
same price as a single.

I expect that this kind of juggling priorities will come up again.
Particularly when the commercial interests wish to participate, but
don't want to overshadow the community, or if the free community
presences area makes 'hawking' trickier.

So far we have all managed to deal with this pretty well and with
little fuss.

BK

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>

>>I heard EnterpriseDB mention that they are hosting the community within
>>their booth at LinuxWorld this year. Question... Why isn't the community
>>having their own booth?
>

> What, like OSCON?   <grin>

Well yes actually. Again I am not being negative here but the booth at
OSCON was the PostgreSQL.Org booth. If you note all the name tags they
ALL said PostgreSQL.Org not Command Prompt or SRA America. The main
banner was PostgreSQL.Org as well.

> Due to exceptionally high demand for .ORG booths this year, we got bounced
> from having a booth (also due to a snag with my old fax machine).   As it
> turns out, being with eDB has some significant benefits, not the least of
> which is that we'll be on the main show floor which the .ORGs will *not*.
> Also eDB is making us some nice signage and CDs.

I am not suggesting that we don't work with EnterpriseDB (you might want
to take note, eDB is a different PostgreSQL company then EnterpriseDB).
Heck I beat Denis twice in golf, I will work with him anytime ;).

> It also makes our booth setup etc. considerably easier, as it did at OSCON, if
> PG-supporting companies are willing to help.

Yes it does. All I am saying is that I wanted PostgreSQL.Org to be the
main entity at the booth and that the companies should be secondary.

> Well, maybe next year we can talk about a Foundation booth with all of the
> companies who desire involved.

I hope so.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: PostgreSQL Booth at LinuxWorld

From
"Andy Astor"

Unless I'm missing something, eDB and EnterpriseDB are not different companies. We started off with a little 'e' and have moved to EDB as our abbreviation.

               http://archives.postgresql.org

Date:
Andy Astor wrote:
> Unless I'm missing something, eDB and EnterpriseDB are not different
> companies. We started off with a little 'e' and have moved to EDB as our
> abbreviation.

There is a company called eDB (that I can't find right now) that was
advertising on PostgreSQL.Org that was not EnterpriseDB. They don't come
up currently which is making it difficult to find them.

They had some vapor clustering solution.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Date:
Josh,

> There is a company called eDB (that I can't find right now) that was
> advertising on PostgreSQL.Org that was not EnterpriseDB. They don't come
> up currently which is making it difficult to find them.
>
> They had some vapor clustering solution.

You're probably thinking of ExtenDB.   But they don't have any more claim
on "eDB" than EnterpriseDB does.

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>

>>There is a company called eDB (that I can't find right now) that was
>>advertising on PostgreSQL.Org that was not EnterpriseDB. They don't come
>>up currently which is making it difficult to find them.
>>
>>They had some vapor clustering solution.
>

> You're probably thinking of ExtenDB.   But they don't have any more claim
> on "eDB" than EnterpriseDB does.

Ahh yes. That is them. I just checked. I was just saying that we don't
want to confuse the companies that's all.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Leftover CDs from OSCON

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Josh,

Would it be possible to send a box of leftover CDs from OSCON to Simon for
LWE-London?

--
--Josh

Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Leftover CDs from OSCON

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Josh,
>
> Would it be possible to send a box of leftover CDs from OSCON to Simon for
> LWE-London?

Sure. How many?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

Re: Leftover CDs from OSCON

From
Brian Kilpatrick
Date:
As i recall from LWB, when we tried to send over CD to Peter not only
was shipping expensive, but they also got hung up in customs in
Germany because customs believed the cds had some kinda of value as
they had software on them. There might need to be some considering
given to just making a batch in Europe.

BK

On Aug 8, 2005, at 6:17 PM, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
>> Josh,
>> Would it be possible to send a box of leftover CDs from OSCON to
>> Simon for LWE-London?
>>

> Sure. How many?
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake

Re: PostgreSQL Booth at LinuxWorld

From
Simon Riggs
Date:

http://linuxworldexpo.com/live/12/media//SN787380

Date:
Just wanted to point out to everybody that there are 12 conferences
called LinuxWorld around the globe over the next year, so we need to be
careful about discussing attendance without mentioning the location and
date.

And it also means we'll need lots of volunteer support....

Best Regards, Simon Riggs

Re: Leftover CDs from OSCON

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Mon, 2005-08-08 at 14:28 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Would it be possible to send a box of leftover CDs from OSCON to Simon for
> LWE-London?

Yes please...

2ndQuadrant Ltd
Bicester Innovation Centre
Telford Road
Bicester
Oxfordshire
OX26 4LD
UNITED KINGDOM

No need to pay airfreight charges, we've got time...

I'll forward any leftovers onto to Utrecht and Frankfurt conferences the
following month.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs