linux world and table partitioning

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Guys,

I'm going to be writing a full report on the SRA site next week about Linux
World but in the mean time I wanted to ask a question about the routine of
putting in new features into PostgreSQL.

A lot of Oracle guys came up to the booth and one of them asked specifically
about table partitioning. He asked "when is it going to get done?" and "if we
want to do it why aren't we canvassing the corporate world (or a particular
company) to sponsor it?".

Your input would be appreciated.

Robert Bernier

Re: linux world and table partitioning

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>A lot of Oracle guys came up to the booth and one of them asked specifically
>about table partitioning. He asked "when is it going to get done?" and "if we
>want to do it why aren't we canvassing the corporate world (or a particular
>company) to sponsor it?".

Interesting. Well I can tell you that Command Prompt routinely
pursues companies to help push features back into the source.
The ECPG changes we submitted and some upcoming ODBC features
are an example of this.

However what we have found is that most people running PostgreSQL
don't need table partitioning. We only have 3 customers that
would benefit from it.

Of course, now that I think about it I haven't talked to them
about the feature --- time to make some phone calls!

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>Your input would be appreciated.
>
>Robert Bernier

Re: linux world and table partitioning

From
"Timothy D. Witham"
Date:
On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 07:59 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >A lot of Oracle guys came up to the booth and one of them asked specifically
> >about table partitioning. He asked "when is it going to get done?" and "if we
> >want to do it why aren't we canvassing the corporate world (or a particular
> >company) to sponsor it?".
> >

> Interesting. Well I can tell you that Command Prompt routinely
> pursues companies to help push features back into the source.
> The ECPG changes we submitted and some upcoming ODBC features
> are an example of this.
>
> However what we have found is that most people running PostgreSQL
> don't need table partitioning. We only have 3 customers that
> would benefit from it.

    I think that a better survey would be the number of people
who decided that they couldn't use PostgreSQL because
they felt that they really needed table partitioning.

Tim

> Of course, now that I think about it I haven't talked to them
> about the feature --- time to make some phone calls!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> >Your input would be appreciated.
> >
> >Robert Bernier

> >TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> >
> >               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Timothy D. Witham - Chief Technology Officer - wookie@osdl.org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation
12725 SW Millikan Way - Suite 400 - Beaverton OR, 97005
(503)-906-1911  (office)    (503)-702-2871   (cell)
(503)-626-2436  (fax)

Re: linux world and table partitioning

From
Simon Riggs
Date:
On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 08:48 -0800, Timothy D. Witham wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 07:59 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> > >A lot of Oracle guys came up to the booth and one of them asked specifically
> > >about table partitioning. He asked "when is it going to get done?" and "if we
> > >want to do it why aren't we canvassing the corporate world (or a particular
> > >company) to sponsor it?".
> > >

> > Interesting. Well I can tell you that Command Prompt routinely
> > pursues companies to help push features back into the source.
> > The ECPG changes we submitted and some upcoming ODBC features
> > are an example of this.
> >
> > However what we have found is that most people running PostgreSQL
> > don't need table partitioning. We only have 3 customers that
> > would benefit from it.
> >

>     I think that a better survey would be the number of people
> who decided that they couldn't use PostgreSQL because
> they felt that they really needed table partitioning.

Yes, I know some of those.

I will be looking to make ground on an effective solution to that for
8.1.

Best Regards, Simon Riggs