Re: linux world and table partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Timothy D. Witham
Subject Re: linux world and table partitioning
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 2005-02-18 at 07:59 -0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> >A lot of Oracle guys came up to the booth and one of them asked specifically
> >about table partitioning. He asked "when is it going to get done?" and "if we
> >want to do it why aren't we canvassing the corporate world (or a particular
> >company) to sponsor it?".
> >

> Interesting. Well I can tell you that Command Prompt routinely
> pursues companies to help push features back into the source.
> The ECPG changes we submitted and some upcoming ODBC features
> are an example of this.
>
> However what we have found is that most people running PostgreSQL
> don't need table partitioning. We only have 3 customers that
> would benefit from it.

    I think that a better survey would be the number of people
who decided that they couldn't use PostgreSQL because
they felt that they really needed table partitioning.

Tim

> Of course, now that I think about it I haven't talked to them
> about the feature --- time to make some phone calls!
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Joshua D. Drake
>

> >Your input would be appreciated.
> >
> >Robert Bernier

> >TIP 5: Have you checked our extensive FAQ?
> >
> >               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq

Timothy D. Witham - Chief Technology Officer - wookie@osdl.org
Open Source Development Lab Inc - A non-profit corporation
12725 SW Millikan Way - Suite 400 - Beaverton OR, 97005
(503)-906-1911  (office)    (503)-702-2871   (cell)
(503)-626-2436  (fax)