Additional Material for Press Page

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Folks,

Attached is a text file of additional material to be included on the 8.0
release page.    Please review it and suggest anything else that needs to be
included.

--Josh

--
__Aglio Database Solutions_______________
Josh Berkus               Consultant

Attachment

Re: Additional Material for Press Page

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 04:58:46PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Functions:  PostgreSQL functions now support emacs-style $dollar$
> quoting allowing users to avoid messy nested quotes.  Further, as an
> benefit of the new Savepoints, PL/pgSQL functions now have limited
> exception-handling ability using the EXCEPTION clause.

"emacs-style"?  I thought dollar quoting was invented here.  Would it be
good to detail the enhancements to pl/perl here?  What about pl/php?

> Database Design:  Database administrators can now change columns
> in-place to other compatible data types using ALTER TABLE.

Lose the "compatible"; you can in fact change anything using arbitrary
transformations.

> Links To Other PostgreSQL Resources:

What about a list of externally provided PLs?

> Graphical User Interfaces:
>     pgAdminIII
>     phpPGAdmin
>     pgAccess

Is pgAccess still alive?

"La victoria es para quien se atreve a estar solo"

Re: Additional Material for Press Page

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 16 October 2004 20:39, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 04:58:46PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Functions:  PostgreSQL functions now support emacs-style $dollar$
> > quoting allowing users to avoid messy nested quotes.  Further, as an
> > benefit of the new Savepoints, PL/pgSQL functions now have limited
> > exception-handling ability using the EXCEPTION clause.
>
> "emacs-style"?  I thought dollar quoting was invented here.  Would it be
> good to detail the enhancements to pl/perl here?  What about pl/php?

I think the functionality original came from trying to emulate perl-style here
documents, but either way as a vi user I now dislike the feature just on the
insinuation that it is emacs-style :-)

Also I could see documenting pl/perls enhancements here since it is bundled
with the server, but plphp should not be.

Also, make sure to change it to "Further, as a benefit".

> > Database Design:  Database administrators can now change columns
> > in-place to other compatible data types using ALTER TABLE.
>
> Lose the "compatible"; you can in fact change anything using arbitrary
> transformations.

well, theres certainly a lot of extra hoops if you want to change floats to
tids, but I agree, that level of detail is fine for the docs but not needed
here.

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/PLLanguages

> > Graphical User Interfaces:
> >  pgAdminIII
> >  phpPGAdmin
> >  pgAccess

phpPgAdmin :-)

--
Robert Treat

Date:
On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 09:53:06PM -0400, Robert Treat wrote:
> On Saturday 16 October 2004 20:39, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 04:58:46PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > Functions:  PostgreSQL functions now support emacs-style $dollar$
> > > quoting allowing users to avoid messy nested quotes.  Further, as an
> > > benefit of the new Savepoints, PL/pgSQL functions now have limited
> > > exception-handling ability using the EXCEPTION clause.
> >
> > "emacs-style"?  I thought dollar quoting was invented here.  Would it be
> > good to detail the enhancements to pl/perl here?  What about pl/php?
>
> I think the functionality original came from trying to emulate perl-style here
> documents, but either way as a vi user I now dislike the feature just on the
> insinuation that it is emacs-style :-)

Yeah, I'm a vi(m) user too so it seems unfair :-).  But dollar quoting
certainly goes much further than here-docs! (which AFAIK were invented
way before perl anyway, weren't they?)

"La victoria es para quien se atreve a estar solo"

Re: Additional Material for Press Page

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Database Design:  Database administrators can now change columns
> in-place to other compatible data types using ALTER TABLE.
> Declaration of columns with composite data types is now supported per
> the ANSI SQL99 specification.

"Declarations of columns with composite data types is now supported
according to the SQL standard."

SQL is a standard.  SQL99 is old.  SQL is also an ISO standard.  So
let's keep it simple.

> Data Import/Export:  The COPY command now supports the very common CSV
> file format, making imports and exports to other software easier.

Maybe spell out what CSV means.  It's not *that* common, you know. :)

> Optimizer Improvements:  The query planner and executor will now make
> use of indexes for compatible data types, greatly reducing the
> necessity to CAST constant values.

Do not capitalize cast here.

> This version also brings including improved index usage, better
> optimization of OR clauses, improved sampling for ANALYZE, faster
> TRUNCATE, and better planning of prepared query plans, as well as many
> minor improvements too numerous to count.

Too numerous to "mention", probably.

> Where to Download 8.0:
>         Bittorrent
>         List of FTP Mirrors
>         Windows Installer (also available via Bittorrent)

The FTP mirrors as the most common method should probably be listed
first.

> Documentation:
>         Official Docs

If I see "docs" one more time in official prose I'm going to cry.  It's
"documentation".

> Graphical User Interfaces:
>         pgAdminIII
>         phpPGAdmin
>         pgAccess

Correct spelling:

pgAdmin III
phpPgAdmin
PgAccess

--
Peter Eisentraut

Re: Additional Material for Press Page

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Sun, 2004-10-17 at 09:58, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Optimizer Improvements:  The query planner and executor will now make
> use of indexes for compatible data types, greatly reducing the
> necessity to CAST constant values. This version also brings including
> improved index usage [...]

Should be something like: "This version also includes ..."

> better planning of prepared query plans

I think "better planning of prepared queries" is better.

-Neil

Date:
On Sunday 17 October 2004 11:35, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> Josh Berkus wrote:
>
> > Where to Download 8.0:
> >         Bittorrent
> >         List of FTP Mirrors
> >         Windows Installer (also available via Bittorrent)
>
> The FTP mirrors as the most common method should probably be listed
> first.

FWIW I'll also plan to put the source tar ball and windows installer up on the
sourceforge site.

--
Robert Treat