Re: Additional Material for Press Page - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: Additional Material for Press Page
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Saturday 16 October 2004 20:39, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 04:58:46PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Functions:  PostgreSQL functions now support emacs-style $dollar$
> > quoting allowing users to avoid messy nested quotes.  Further, as an
> > benefit of the new Savepoints, PL/pgSQL functions now have limited
> > exception-handling ability using the EXCEPTION clause.
>
> "emacs-style"?  I thought dollar quoting was invented here.  Would it be
> good to detail the enhancements to pl/perl here?  What about pl/php?

I think the functionality original came from trying to emulate perl-style here
documents, but either way as a vi user I now dislike the feature just on the
insinuation that it is emacs-style :-)

Also I could see documenting pl/perls enhancements here since it is bundled
with the server, but plphp should not be.

Also, make sure to change it to "Further, as a benefit".

> > Database Design:  Database administrators can now change columns
> > in-place to other compatible data types using ALTER TABLE.
>
> Lose the "compatible"; you can in fact change anything using arbitrary
> transformations.

well, theres certainly a lot of extra hoops if you want to change floats to
tids, but I agree, that level of detail is fine for the docs but not needed
here.

http://techdocs.postgresql.org/guides/PLLanguages

> > Graphical User Interfaces:
> >  pgAdminIII