Re: Additional Material for Press Page - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Additional Material for Press Page
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Josh Berkus wrote:
> Database Design:  Database administrators can now change columns
> in-place to other compatible data types using ALTER TABLE.
> Declaration of columns with composite data types is now supported per
> the ANSI SQL99 specification.

"Declarations of columns with composite data types is now supported
according to the SQL standard."

SQL is a standard.  SQL99 is old.  SQL is also an ISO standard.  So
let's keep it simple.

> Data Import/Export:  The COPY command now supports the very common CSV
> file format, making imports and exports to other software easier.

Maybe spell out what CSV means.  It's not *that* common, you know. :)

> Optimizer Improvements:  The query planner and executor will now make
> use of indexes for compatible data types, greatly reducing the
> necessity to CAST constant values.

Do not capitalize cast here.

> This version also brings including improved index usage, better
> optimization of OR clauses, improved sampling for ANALYZE, faster
> TRUNCATE, and better planning of prepared query plans, as well as many
> minor improvements too numerous to count.

Too numerous to "mention", probably.

> Where to Download 8.0:
>         Bittorrent
>         List of FTP Mirrors
>         Windows Installer (also available via Bittorrent)

The FTP mirrors as the most common method should probably be listed
first.

> Documentation:
>         Official Docs

If I see "docs" one more time in official prose I'm going to cry.  It's
"documentation".

> Graphical User Interfaces:
>         pgAdminIII
>         phpPGAdmin