pg_live

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
I'm announcing the completion of the PotgreSQL LIVE CD in time for
OSCON. I've dubbed it "pg_live". It's 105mb large and includes a
graphical environment too!

I had tried to include phppgadmin but that jumped up the CD size to over
300mb so I decided to leave it as is for now.

Now, who can host the iso?

Robert  Bernier

Re: pg_live

Date:
Robert Bernier wrote:
> I'm announcing the completion of the PotgreSQL LIVE CD in time for
> OSCON. I've dubbed it "pg_live". It's 105mb large and includes a
> graphical environment too!
>
> I had tried to include phppgadmin but that jumped up the CD size to over
> 300mb so I decided to leave it as is for now.
>
> Now, who can host the iso?

Uh, why is phppgadmin so huge?

Re: pg_live

From
"Gavin M. Roy"
Date:
I'd be happy to.

Gavin

Robert Bernier wrote:

> I'm announcing the completion of the PotgreSQL LIVE CD in time for
> OSCON. I've dubbed it "pg_live". It's 105mb large and includes a
> graphical environment too!
>
> I had tried to include phppgadmin but that jumped up the CD size to
> over 300mb so I decided to leave it as is for now.
>
> Now, who can host the iso?
>
> Robert  Bernier

> TIP 8: explain analyze is your friend

Re: pg_live

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> I had tried to include phppgadmin but that jumped up the CD size to over
> 300mb so I decided to leave it as is for now.

phpPgAdmin is 350k...  Or do you mean you would have to include all of
apache and PHP as well?

Chris

Re: pg_live

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
I think it has to do with the way "damn small linux" was created. The OS
has been fooled that there's a complete debian package when in fact it's
been cut down so when I updated the distritubution using apt it
naturally updated the packages with the full set of files.

I'm pretty sure I can do the same kind of job too but it would take a
bit of trial and error to get it right. I'd rather get a reaction for
this version first. For instance... setting up the desktop.

Robert

Bruce Momjian wrote:

>Robert Bernier wrote:
>

>>I'm announcing the completion of the PotgreSQL LIVE CD in time for
>>OSCON. I've dubbed it "pg_live". It's 105mb large and includes a
>>graphical environment too!
>>
>>I had tried to include phppgadmin but that jumped up the CD size to over
>>300mb so I decided to leave it as is for now.
>>
>>Now, who can host the iso?
>>

>Uh, why is phppgadmin so huge?

Re: pg_live

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
That's essentially it, php and apache were loaded too. Like I said in my
last communication, "damn small linux" cut down and reduced the
libraries intentionally to get what it has on the 50mb iso (and this one
is 106mb).

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>> I had tried to include phppgadmin but that jumped up the CD size to
>> over 300mb so I decided to leave it as is for now.
>

> phpPgAdmin is 350k...  Or do you mean you would have to include all of
> apache and PHP as well?
>
> Chris

Re: pg_live

From
Robert Bernier
Date:
Give me the particulars and I'll see about uploading it up to your site.

Robert

Gavin M. Roy wrote:

> I'd be happy to.
>
> Gavin
>
> Robert Bernier wrote:
>
>> I'm announcing the completion of the PotgreSQL LIVE CD in time for
>> OSCON. I've dubbed it "pg_live". It's 105mb large and includes a
>> graphical environment too!
>>
>> I had tried to include phppgadmin but that jumped up the CD size to
>> over 300mb so I decided to leave it as is for now.
>>
>> Now, who can host the iso?
>>
>> Robert  Bernier

Re: pg_live

From
"Scott Marlowe"
Date:
Given a choice, I'd rather have pgaminIII on the disk.  If it's not
already there.

Have you tried installing phppgadmin by hand from source?  That might
keep the bloat down since you won't being using apt.  If you've already
got apache and pgsql and php, it should be simple.  Or is php not
included either?

On Mon, 2004-06-14 at 22:43, Robert Bernier wrote:
> I think it has to do with the way "damn small linux" was created. The OS
> has been fooled that there's a complete debian package when in fact it's
> been cut down so when I updated the distritubution using apt it
> naturally updated the packages with the full set of files.
>
> I'm pretty sure I can do the same kind of job too but it would take a
> bit of trial and error to get it right. I'd rather get a reaction for
> this version first. For instance... setting up the desktop.
>
> Robert
>

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> >Robert Bernier wrote:
> >

> >>I'm announcing the completion of the PotgreSQL LIVE CD in time for
> >>OSCON. I've dubbed it "pg_live". It's 105mb large and includes a
> >>graphical environment too!
> >>
> >>I had tried to include phppgadmin but that jumped up the CD size to over
> >>300mb so I decided to leave it as is for now.
> >>
> >>Now, who can host the iso?
> >>

> >Uh, why is phppgadmin so huge?

Re: pg_live

From
Robert Bernier

Scott Marlowe wrote:

>Given a choice, I'd rather have pgaminIII on the disk.  If it's not
>already there.

I've already tried unsuccessfully using apt.

>Have you tried installing phppgadmin by hand from source?

No

>That might keep the bloat down since you won't being using apt.

It could, assuming that the necesary libraries are properly installed.

>If you've already got apache and pgsql and php, it should be simple.  Or is php not
>included either?

php, apache, phppgadmin and half a dozen other packages had to be added
before I could make phppgadmin work. I had a lot of problems with
conflicts before getting it right.

What it boils down to is time. If I've got it, I can do it.

Robert Bernier

Re: pg_live

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

I'd say that it's significantly more important to get a one GUI interface on
the disk than to keep it under 150mb.

Personally, I'm still not sold on the mini-disks, and leaving out a GUI just
so we can use them seems dumb.

Hmmmm .... we could also use a "sample database" in PostgreSQL.    Does anyone
have something completely non-confidential that would work?

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: pg_live

From
Robert Bernier

Josh Berkus wrote:

>Robert,
>
>I'd say that it's significantly more important to get a one GUI interface on
>the disk than to keep it under 150mb.

There is a gui at 106mb. But the issue at present is to get this first
version reviewed. I already see a consensus building here but I'd rather
have something out there for people to play with. That way I can make
more effective use of my time when I have a definite list of what's to
be done.

I'm talking to David Fetter right now about getting this 1st version on
Bit-Torrent.

>Personally, I'm still not sold on the mini-disks, and leaving out a GUI just
>so we can use them seems dumb.

Yes, I'm hearing a lot of misgivings about mini-disks.

>Hmmmm .... we could also use a "sample database" in PostgreSQL.    Does anyone
>have something completely non-confidential that would work?

Got that covered. There are several datadumps on "pg_live".

cheers

Robert