Distributions which contain postgresql

From
elein
Date:
I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
os distributions which contain postgresql
by default.

RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?

Thanks,

elein
elein@varlena.com        Varlena, LLC        www.varlena.com

          PostgreSQL Consulting, Support & Training

PostgreSQL General Bits   http://www.varlena.com/GeneralBits/

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
Dan Langille
Date:
On Mon, 3 May 2004, elein wrote:

> I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
> os distributions which contain postgresql
> by default.
>
> RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
> it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?

As a matter of interest, why are you interested only in operating systems
which install PostgreSQL by default.  To me, installing it by
default, without giving the use a choice, is a bad thing.

--
Dan Langille - BSDCan: http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
Alvaro Herrera
Date:
On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 03:27:52PM -0700, elein wrote:
> I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
> os distributions which contain postgresql
> by default.
>
> RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
> it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?

Mandrakelinux also has it.  FreeBSD apparently has it too (through
ports).

"La Primavera ha venido. Nadie sabe como ha sido" (A. Machado)

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Mon, 3 May 2004, Dan Langille wrote:

> On Mon, 3 May 2004, elein wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
> > os distributions which contain postgresql
> > by default.
> >
> > RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
> > it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?
>
> As a matter of interest, why are you interested only in operating systems
> which install PostgreSQL by default.  To me, installing it by
> default, without giving the use a choice, is a bad thing.

Agreed ... FreeBSD ships with it, but its an optional install ...

What I'd be curious about is for those that actually install PostgreSQL,
do they actually *require* it for some reason, or do they just install it
so that more disk space is used up? :)

----

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
elein
Date:
It is slide fodder for a presentation I am giving.
Since I only install from source, that will be
the emphasis.  But it looks good to see that postgresql
"comes with" distribution.

--elein

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 06:40:12PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 2004, elein wrote:
>
> > I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
> > os distributions which contain postgresql
> > by default.
> >
> > RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
> > it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?
>
> As a matter of interest, why are you interested only in operating systems
> which install PostgreSQL by default.  To me, installing it by
> default, without giving the use a choice, is a bad thing.
>
> --
> Dan Langille - BSDCan: http://www.bsdcan.org/

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>What I'd be curious about is for those that actually install PostgreSQL,
>do they actually *require* it for some reason, or do they just install it
>so that more disk space is used up? :)

The only one that I know of that requires it is the Cobalt Linux
distribution. They use it (or at least used to) to
manage all the virtual server config stuff.

>----
>Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
>Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

>      subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
Shridhar Daithankar
Date:
Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 03:27:52PM -0700, elein wrote:
>
>>I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
>>os distributions which contain postgresql
>>by default.
>>
>>RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
>>it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?
>

> Mandrakelinux also has it.  FreeBSD apparently has it too (through
> ports).

Notably slackware *does not* have it..

  Shridhar

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
Michael Meskes
Date:
On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 06:40:12PM -0400, Dan Langille wrote:
> > I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
> > os distributions which contain postgresql
> > by default.
> >
> > RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
> > it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?
>
> As a matter of interest, why are you interested only in operating systems
> which install PostgreSQL by default.  To me, installing it by
> default, without giving the use a choice, is a bad thing.

It seems to me he said "contains" rather than "installs". Debian surely
has PostgreSQL available for all installations but the user has to
choose to install it himself.

Michael
--
Michael Meskes
Email: Michael at Fam-Meskes dot De

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
Martin Marques
Date:
El Lun 03 May 2004 19:40, Dan Langille escribió:
> On Mon, 3 May 2004, elein wrote:
> > I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
> > os distributions which contain postgresql
> > by default.
> >
> > RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
> > it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?
>
> As a matter of interest, why are you interested only in operating systems
> which install PostgreSQL by default.  To me, installing it by
> default, without giving the use a choice, is a bad thing.

I think she[1] means distributions that have PostgreSQL inside (you don't have
to go out there looking for it.

I think that all the major Linux distributions[2] have it, and maybe (not 100%
sure) the *BSD.

[1]: I suspect a "she" from the name elein. I hope I'm not wrong.
[2]: You can add Mandrake to the list.

--
 07:50:02 up 5 days, 13:12,  1 user,  load average: 0.16, 0.19, 0.18
Martín Marqués        | select 'mmarques' || '@' || 'unl.edu.ar'

Date:
On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 07:55:24AM -0300, Martin Marques wrote:

> I think she[1] means distributions that have PostgreSQL inside (you don't have
> to go out there looking for it.
>
> [1]: I suspect a "she" from the name elein. I hope I'm not wrong.

I see you haven't read the spanish version of General Bits.  Shame on
you!

"God is real, unless declared as int"

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Mon, 3 May 2004, elein wrote:

> I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
> os distributions which contain postgresql
> by default.
>
> RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
> it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?

I'm assuming you mean either as a default install or as an easily
available bin or src handled by the systems package management system.  If
so, then:

Morphix supports it since it's debian.  Plus there's that Japanese live
CD based on it that includes PostgreSQL by default.
Gentoo supports/includes it.
Yellow Dog.
Fedora.
Sorcerer.
I'm certain we're missing about 100 here :-)

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
"Keith C. Perry"
Date:
Quoting Shridhar Daithankar <shridhar@frodo.hserus.net>:

> Alvaro Herrera wrote:
>
> > On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 03:27:52PM -0700, elein wrote:
> >
> >>I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
> >>os distributions which contain postgresql
> >>by default.
> >>
> >>RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
> >>it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?
> >

> > Mandrakelinux also has it.  FreeBSD apparently has it too (through
> > ports).
>
> Notably slackware *does not* have it..
>
>   Shridhar

Hopefully NOT that notable since elein's emphasis is building from source...

unless you want to note that Slackware is probably one of the better disto's for
building from source  :)

--
Keith C. Perry, MS E.E.
Director of Networks & Applications

____________________________________
This email account is being host by:
VCSN, Inc : http://vcsn.com

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
Anastasios Hatzis
Date:
On Tue, 2004-05-04 at 15:47, scott.marlowe wrote:

> I'm assuming you mean either as a default install or as an easily
> available bin or src handled by the systems package management system.  If
> so, then:

[...]
> I'm certain we're missing about 100 here :-)

One of these 100 other distributions is the FreeGee application
framework for software in C++ or Python. It integrates PostgreSQL
(7.4.1) with:
- wxWidgets/wxPython ( to build platform-independent, native GUIs)
- Python (easy OO programming language for GUIs, shell scripting etc.)
- Apache/mod_python (Web services, interactive HTML, etc.)
- omniORB/omniORBpy (OO middleware improves component interaction via
network)

http://freegee.sourceforge.net/

Currently Beta.

Greetings,
Anastasios

Re: Distributions which contain postgresql

From
Jeff Self
Date:
On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 18:27, elein wrote:
> I'm looking for a semi-definitive list of
> os distributions which contain postgresql
> by default.
>
> RedHat, SuSE, Debian and cygwin all seem to have
> it.  Does anyone know of others, if any?
>

> Thanks,
>
> elein

PostgreSQL isn't installed on Mac OS X but it can be installed quite
easily using Marc Liyanage's package which can be found here:
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/postgresql/

PostgreSQL is not included in Mac OS X Server either. But MySQL is
included. This could be a blessing in disguise though. Apple tends to
not update packages between OS releases. It would be wiser to use Marc's
package instead.

--
Jeff Self
Dept. of Information Technology