article: Open source database improvements grow

From
Joe Conway
Date:
Haven't seen this posted yet:
http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/0315specialfocus.html

Seems like a reasonably balanced article.

Joe

Re: article: Open source database improvements grow

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 21:23, Joe Conway wrote:
> Haven't seen this posted yet:
> http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/0315specialfocus.html
>
> Seems like a reasonably balanced article.

On the whole it does seem like the reporter was trying to be balanced. I
did have some reservations about the features that were stated as to be
included, namely table spaces and two phase commit. We've been bitten
before on not having win32 ready after having said it would be, so I
think we need to stick closer to actually committed code when speaking
publicly on items that will be in 7.5. Some suggestions for the future
would be enhanced cross-datatype index usage, updated genetic query
optimizer implementation for significant speed increases, named function
parameter support, improved buffer management capabilities to reduce
locking contention on multi-cpu servers, and a next generation version
of the XPATH xml integration code. Win32, while not done yet, has a lot
of code in CVS, and I would feel comfortable saying that we'll have a
native build for developers in 7.5; PITR, Tablespaces, and 2PC are all
still vaporware though so I would shy away from talking about those just
yet IMHO.

BTW - was nice to see the sig getting some press :-)

Robert Treat

Re: article: Open source database improvements grow

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Robert,

> On the whole it does seem like the reporter was trying to be balanced. I
> did have some reservations about the features that were stated as to be
> included, namely table spaces and two phase commit.

This was my interview.   I did tell the reporter that "this is what's in
development, but it's open source, so I can't tell you for certain what will
actually be in 7.5" and I guess it wasn't strongly stated enough.

And I quoted your sig, too ....

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: article: Open source database improvements grow

From
"Merlin Moncure"
Date:
> Robert,
>
> > On the whole it does seem like the reporter was trying to be
balanced. I
> > did have some reservations about the features that were stated as to
be
> > included, namely table spaces and two phase commit.

IIRC the article states the upcoming 7.5 is due to be released in
June...is that correct?

Merlin

Re: article: Open source database improvements grow

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Tue, Mar 16, 2004 at 13:38:26 -0500,
  Merlin Moncure <merlin.moncure@rcsonline.com> wrote:
> > Robert,
> >
> > > On the whole it does seem like the reporter was trying to be
> balanced. I
> > > did have some reservations about the features that were stated as to
> be
> > > included, namely table spaces and two phase commit.
>
> IIRC the article states the upcoming 7.5 is due to be released in
> June...is that correct?

It is too early to say with much confidence, but I don't see how a production
release of 7.5 could happen that soon. A beta release could happen in that
time frame.

Re: article: Open source database improvements grow

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Merlin,

> IIRC the article states the upcoming 7.5 is due to be released in
> June...is that correct?

Damn, is he that specific?  I'll have to contact him with errata.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: article: Open source database improvements grow

From
Paul Ganainm

bruno@wolff.to says...

> It is too early to say with much confidence, but I don't see how a production
> release of 7.5 could happen that soon. A beta release could happen in that
> time frame.

I would be particularly interested in testing the Windoze version of
PostgreSQL with a project that I'm working on. Any pointers as to how
I'd be part of a beta test team?

TIA.

Paul...

--

plinehan  o_o_h_a_y  t_o_d  m_o_c
C++ Builder 5 SP1, Interbase 6.0.1.6 IBX 5.04 W2K Pro

"XML avoids the fundamental question of what we should do,
by focusing entirely on how we should do it."

quote from http://www.metatorial.com

Re: article: Open source database improvements grow

From
"Magnus Hagander"
Date:
>I would be particularly interested in testing the Windoze version of
>PostgreSQL with a project that I'm working on. Any pointers as to how
>I'd be part of a beta test team?

It's not beta yet, but you can get a runnable pre-beta. You can use a
nightly snapshot/cvs to build it. For information, see:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/main/writings/pgsql/win32.html

(There is also a daily binary build available from that page)

//Magnus