Re: article: Open source database improvements grow - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Robert Treat
Subject Re: article: Open source database improvements grow
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Mon, 2004-03-15 at 21:23, Joe Conway wrote:
> Haven't seen this posted yet:
> http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2004/0315specialfocus.html
>
> Seems like a reasonably balanced article.

On the whole it does seem like the reporter was trying to be balanced. I
did have some reservations about the features that were stated as to be
included, namely table spaces and two phase commit. We've been bitten
before on not having win32 ready after having said it would be, so I
think we need to stick closer to actually committed code when speaking
publicly on items that will be in 7.5. Some suggestions for the future
would be enhanced cross-datatype index usage, updated genetic query
optimizer implementation for significant speed increases, named function
parameter support, improved buffer management capabilities to reduce
locking contention on multi-cpu servers, and a next generation version
of the XPATH xml integration code. Win32, while not done yet, has a lot
of code in CVS, and I would feel comfortable saying that we'll have a
native build for developers in 7.5; PITR, Tablespaces, and 2PC are all
still vaporware though so I would shy away from talking about those just
yet IMHO.

BTW - was nice to see the sig getting some press :-)

Robert Treat