Another cool program that uses postgresql

From
Josh Berkus
Here:

http://www.cryptnet.net/fsp/zipdy/

It would be cool to someday have a listing of links to programs that are
PG-based.
--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Another cool program that uses postgresql

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Fri, 21 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Here:
>
> http://www.cryptnet.net/fsp/zipdy/
>
> It would be cool to someday have a listing of links to programs that are
> PG-based.

What's I'd like to see is more projects listed on gborg, even if it
provides a link to the main project site like with the ODBC driver, but it
provides a list of 'postgresql related software' ... kinda like a
freshmeat for PostgreSQL ...

----

Re: Another cool program that uses postgresql

From
Peter Eisentraut
Date:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> What's I'd like to see is more projects listed on gborg, even if it
> provides a link to the main project site like with the ODBC driver, but it
> provides a list of 'postgresql related software' ... kinda like a
> freshmeat for PostgreSQL ...

I think it might be more suitable and less confusing if there was in fact
a freshmeat (in addition to a sourceforge) for PostgreSQL.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Date:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier writes:
>
> > What's I'd like to see is more projects listed on gborg, even if it
> > provides a link to the main project site like with the ODBC driver, but it
> > provides a list of 'postgresql related software' ... kinda like a
> > freshmeat for PostgreSQL ...
>
> I think it might be more suitable and less confusing if there was in fact
> a freshmeat (in addition to a sourceforge) for PostgreSQL.

k, what does it take to set one up?

re: sourceforge ... are you suggesting replacing gborg with sourceforge
code though?  is gborg itself *that* broken that it can't be extended to
do what we want?

----

Re: Another cool program that uses postgresql

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Saturday 22 November 2003 14:17, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > Marc G. Fournier writes:
> > > What's I'd like to see is more projects listed on gborg, even if it
> > > provides a link to the main project site like with the ODBC driver, but
> > > it provides a list of 'postgresql related software' ... kinda like a
> > > freshmeat for PostgreSQL ...
> >
> > I think it might be more suitable and less confusing if there was in fact
> > a freshmeat (in addition to a sourceforge) for PostgreSQL.
>
> k, what does it take to set one up?
>
> re: sourceforge ... are you suggesting replacing gborg with sourceforge
> code though?  is gborg itself *that* broken that it can't be extended to
> do what we want?

I don't know that it's broken, but switching to gforge would certainly give us
more advanced software that would also be maintained by people completly
outside our community.  Given our tight resources, this is certainly a bonus.

Robert Treat

Date:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> On Saturday 22 November 2003 14:17, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> > >
> > > I think it might be more suitable and less confusing if there was in fact
> > > a freshmeat (in addition to a sourceforge) for PostgreSQL.
> >
> > k, what does it take to set one up?
> >
> > re: sourceforge ... are you suggesting replacing gborg with sourceforge
> > code though?  is gborg itself *that* broken that it can't be extended to
> > do what we want?
> >

> I don't know that it's broken, but switching to gforge would certainly
> give us more advanced software that would also be maintained by people
> completly outside our community.  Given our tight resources, this is
> certainly a bonus.

'k, do you have anyone in mind who is willing to set up, and admin, it?
I don't imagine its the sort of thing that runs itself, is it?  can it run
within the same VM as www.postgresql.org, or are there security reasons
why it shouldn't?

----

Date:
On Saturday 22 November 2003 18:53, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> > > k, what does it take to set one up?
> > >
> > > re: sourceforge ... are you suggesting replacing gborg with sourceforge
> > > code though?  is gborg itself *that* broken that it can't be extended
> > > to do what we want?
> >
> > I don't know that it's broken, but switching to gforge would certainly
> > give us more advanced software that would also be maintained by people
> > completly outside our community.  Given our tight resources, this is
> > certainly a bonus.
>
> 'k, do you have anyone in mind who is willing to set up, and admin, it?
> I don't imagine its the sort of thing that runs itself, is it?  can it run
> within the same VM as www.postgresql.org, or are there security reasons
> why it shouldn't?

Well that is always the question isnt it?  I'd be willing to try to install
it, I'm not sure of it's compatibility with bsd, but we might be able to get
Tim Purdue to help us out. The problem is I'm pretty loaded up now, so it
seems tough to believe I would have time to maintain it...course maybe it
doesn't need a lot of maintainance...   I'm guessing it needs to live on its
own vm for all the reasons gborg needs to be on its own.

Robert Treat

Date:
On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Robert Treat wrote:

> Well that is always the question isnt it?  I'd be willing to try to
> install it, I'm not sure of it's compatibility with bsd, but we might be
> able to get Tim Purdue to help us out. The problem is I'm pretty loaded
> up now, so it seems tough to believe I would have time to maintain
> it...course maybe it doesn't need a lot of maintainance...  I'm guessing
> it needs to live on its own vm for all the reasons gborg needs to be on
> its own.

Well, install is easy, as its in FreeBSD ports:

drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel  512 Nov 22 20:46 www/gforge

sudo to root in the VM, cd /usr/ports/www/gforge, make install ... take a
quick look at the Makefile, as there are several options for the install

WITH_JABBER, WITH_MAILMAN

but there doesn't appear to be anything that stipulates the backend, so
I'm guessing it is something that just relies on what is compiled into
PHP?

what do you want me to setup as DNS for this?  virtual host wise?

----

Date:
Marc G. Fournier writes:

> re: sourceforge ... are you suggesting replacing gborg with sourceforge
> code though?  is gborg itself *that* broken that it can't be extended to
> do what we want?

Not at all.  I'm just referring to "freshmeat" and "sourcefourge" as web
site genre names.  We need a "slashdot" as well.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net

Re: Another cool program that uses postgresql

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Peter,

> Not at all.  I'm just referring to "freshmeat" and "sourcefourge" as web
> site genre names.  We need a "slashdot" as well.

Do we?  This is one thing I hadn't heard demand for ... it would certainly be
easy to implement.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions
San Francisco

Re: Another cool program that uses postgresql

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Mon, 2003-11-24 at 13:27, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Peter,
>
> > Not at all.  I'm just referring to "freshmeat" and "sourcefourge" as web
> > site genre names.  We need a "slashdot" as well.
>
> Do we?  This is one thing I hadn't heard demand for ... it would certainly be
> easy to implement.

Actually, we have a Slashdot -- the main portal page. What we need is
for people (myself included) to start submitting things.

Date:
Josh Berkus writes:

> > Not at all.  I'm just referring to "freshmeat" and "sourcefourge" as web
> > site genre names.  We need a "slashdot" as well.
>
> Do we?  This is one thing I hadn't heard demand for ... it would certainly be
> easy to implement.

I would like to see it as a replacement of the news listing on the front
page.  In my opinion, the front page should anwer elementary questions
such as "Who are we?", "Why are we on your screen?", "What is the latest
release?" (compare debian.org, kde.org).  Items such as "Beta 3 of plPHP
released" should really go somewhere else.  The feedback aspect of
"slashdot" would be interesting in many cases as well, but it might also
get out of hand.

Another area that this would cover is news syndication.  How many times do
you see something like "Foo Magazine Article mentions PostgreSQL" posted
to a mailing list?  This could be summarized there.

Then finally, provide an RSS feed so people can read the headlines from
anywhere (including Slashdot!).

--

Date:
On Mon, 24 Nov 2003, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Another area that this would cover is news syndication.  How many times
> do you see something like "Foo Magazine Article mentions PostgreSQL"
> posted to a mailing list?  This could be summarized there.

This one I've love to see more of ...

----

Date:
On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 19:46, Marc G. Fournier wrote:
> On Sat, 22 Nov 2003, Robert Treat wrote:
>
> > Well that is always the question isnt it?  I'd be willing to try to
> > install it, I'm not sure of it's compatibility with bsd, but we might be
> > able to get Tim Purdue to help us out. The problem is I'm pretty loaded
> > up now, so it seems tough to believe I would have time to maintain
> > it...course maybe it doesn't need a lot of maintainance...  I'm guessing
> > it needs to live on its own vm for all the reasons gborg needs to be on
> > its own.
>
> Well, install is easy, as its in FreeBSD ports:
>
> drwxr-xr-x  5 root  wheel  512 Nov 22 20:46 www/gforge
>
> sudo to root in the VM, cd /usr/ports/www/gforge, make install ... take a
> quick look at the Makefile, as there are several options for the install
>
> WITH_JABBER, WITH_MAILMAN

jabber is for IM type capabilities, mailman for hosting mailing lists. I
think those are the only two optional components. the backend rquires
php and postgresql.

> but there doesn't appear to be anything that stipulates the backend, so
> I'm guessing it is something that just relies on what is compiled into
> PHP?
>
> what do you want me to setup as DNS for this?  virtual host wise?

either gforge. or maybe projects., though that might be a bit ahead of
ourselves...

Robert Treat

Gforge

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
| either gforge. or maybe projects., though that might be a bit ahead of

I have set up Gforge and it is a bit of a pain to get running but it seems
to be a nice project. However it also seems to be something that
should not run on a VM and should run on its own machine.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

>ourselves...
>
>Robert Treat

Re: Gforge

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> | either gforge. or maybe projects., though that might be a bit ahead of
>
> I have set up Gforge and it is a bit of a pain to get running but it seems
> to be a nice project. However it also seems to be something that
> should not run on a VM and should run on its own machine.

Why?

----

Re: Gforge

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
>>to be a nice project. However it also seems to be something that
>>should not run on a VM and should run on its own machine.
>>

>Why?

Just from a resource perspective. Oh and it would be great to see a
PostgreSQL
site on Linux ;)

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

>----
>Marc G. Fournier           Hub.Org Networking Services (http://www.hub.org)
>Email: scrappy@hub.org           Yahoo!: yscrappy              ICQ: 7615664

Re: Gforge

From
"Marc G. Fournier"
Date:
On Tue, 25 Nov 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >>to be a nice project. However it also seems to be something that
> >>should not run on a VM and should run on its own machine.
> >>

> >Why?
> >

> Just from a resource perspective.

if gforge.postgresql.org ever grows to the point that I'm worried about
resources, we'll worry about a dedicated server then :)  but I can't see
that happening for several months, as getting ppl to use it will be the
hardest part ...

I've built gforge.postgresql.org as a dedicated VM, though, since it seems
to have a thing with 'shell users' that I don't think would give a warm
feeling to have on the www.postgresql.org VM :)  working through
configuration of it right now ... hope to have it up before end of day
today, at least in its "base configuration" ...

----

Re: Another cool program that uses postgresql

From
Randolf Richardson
Date:
[sNip]
> What's I'd like to see is more projects listed on gborg, even if it
> provides a link to the main project site like with the ODBC driver, but
> it provides a list of 'postgresql related software' ... kinda like a
> freshmeat for PostgreSQL ...

        There should be two main categories:

                1. Software that depends on PostgreSQL and is not compatible with
any other database engine.

                2. Software that has PostgreSQL as one of the database engine
configuration options among many others (e.g., support for PostgreSQL,
Oracle, or MySQL, etc.).

--
Randolf Richardson - rr@8x.ca
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Please do not eMail me directly when responding
to my postings in the newsgroups.