Year of the Open-Source Database

From
Jussi Mikkola
Date:
A story in newsfactor.com. Very pro mysql.

http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22685.html

Rgs,

Jussi

Re: Year of the Open-Source Database

From
Marek Lewczuk
Date:
Użytkownik Jussi Mikkola napisał:

> A story in newsfactor.com. Very pro mysql.
>
> http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22685.html

It is another story, which don't ask both sides - there are only
opinions from MySQL team and they are totaly out of mind if they think
that: ...."In the landscape of Oracle and DB2 and SQL Server, MySQL and
Postgres are relatively in the same ballpark"...

But it also an excellent example of MySQL's marketing actions...

Re: Year of the Open-Source Database

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Guys,

> It is another story, which don't ask both sides - there are only
> opinions from MySQL team and they are totaly out of mind if they think

FWIW, Newsfactor is not a real "publication"; they are a news clearinghouse
for any random stringer* who wants to submit stories, and pay some tiny fee
per article (like, say, $30).  As a result, their quality control is
non-existant.

Given that the reporter didn't contact us, we're lucky we got a mention at
all.   If anyone can get the reporter's e-mail, I'd be interested in offering
our help for future articles.  Please, everyone, remember that it is never,
ever, effective to criticize a reporter.

"sub selects"  indeed!   "We all query in a yellow database, a yellow database
...." (Actually, MySQL has reason to be ticked about this article as well,
they got subselects in 4.0)

* stringer = low-paid freelance reporter.  Generally gets paid by the word or
line.

--
Josh Berkus
Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Year of the Open-Source Database

From
"Roderick A. Anderson"
Date:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Jussi Mikkola wrote:

> A story in newsfactor.com. Very pro mysql.
>
> http://www.newsfactor.com/perl/story/22685.html

Sixth paragraph.

     ... Postgres (formally known as "PostgreSQL") ...

Did I miss something here?  I always thought it was the other way around.

Rod

Re: Year of the Open-Source Database

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:19:47AM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

>      ... Postgres (formally known as "PostgreSQL") ...
>
> Did I miss something here?  I always thought it was the other way around.

It's one of the historic problems, actaully.  Postgres was a database
product that used PostQUEL.  When SQL got put in, Postgres85 was
born, and soon renamed PostgreSQL to highlight its SQL capabilities.
But it's a mouthful.  So people might correctly say, "Postgres
(formally known as 'PostgreSQL' and formerly 'Postgres')."  But it
would cause grave confusion and general unhappiness.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Date:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> It's one of the historic problems, actaully.  Postgres was a database
> product that used PostQUEL.  When SQL got put in, Postgres85 was
> born, and soon renamed PostgreSQL to highlight its SQL capabilities.
> But it's a mouthful.  So people might correctly say, "Postgres
> (formally known as 'PostgreSQL' and formerly 'Postgres')."  But it
> would cause grave confusion and general unhappiness.

Well that does add some confusion.  The reason I even mentioned it was
because of a message/thread earlier this month (last month?) about
Postgres vs. PostgreSQL.  It is a mouthful for sure and I find myself
slurring the QL so it comes out mostly as Postgres (unless I've had a few
pints then I drool the last :-).

Rod

Re: Year of the Open-Source Database

From
Robert Treat
Date:
BTW - I did submit some feedback on this article at the site, pointing
out some of the error/omissions, but I never saw it show up... :-(

Robert Treat

greg@turnstep.com
Date:

Re: Year of the Open-Source Database

From
Christopher Kings-Lynne
Date:
> Given that the reporter didn't contact us, we're lucky we got a mention at
> all.   If anyone can get the reporter's e-mail, I'd be interested in offering
> our help for future articles.  Please, everyone, remember that it is never,
> ever, effective to criticize a reporter.
>
> "sub selects"  indeed!   "We all query in a yellow database, a yellow database
> ...." (Actually, MySQL has reason to be ticked about this article as well,
> they got subselects in 4.0)

Er - no they didn't.  Subselects a are an alpha feature of the
unreleased 4.1 version.

Chris

Date:
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 greg@turnstep.com wrote:

> No, they are correct. You are thinking of "formerly." They mean
> "formally" as in the non-abbreviated proper name.

Well I really need to get a bigger monitor or better eyes.  You're right.

Thanks for 'clearing' this up for me.

Rod