Re: Year of the Open-Source Database - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Andrew Sullivan
Subject Re: Year of the Open-Source Database
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:19:47AM -0800, Roderick A. Anderson wrote:

>      ... Postgres (formally known as "PostgreSQL") ...
>
> Did I miss something here?  I always thought it was the other way around.

It's one of the historic problems, actaully.  Postgres was a database
product that used PostQUEL.  When SQL got put in, Postgres85 was
born, and soon renamed PostgreSQL to highlight its SQL capabilities.
But it's a mouthful.  So people might correctly say, "Postgres
(formally known as 'PostgreSQL' and formerly 'Postgres')."  But it
would cause grave confusion and general unhappiness.

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110