Re: Year of the Open-Source Database - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Roderick A. Anderson
Subject Re: Year of the Open-Source Database
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 18 Nov 2003, Andrew Sullivan wrote:

> It's one of the historic problems, actaully.  Postgres was a database
> product that used PostQUEL.  When SQL got put in, Postgres85 was
> born, and soon renamed PostgreSQL to highlight its SQL capabilities.
> But it's a mouthful.  So people might correctly say, "Postgres
> (formally known as 'PostgreSQL' and formerly 'Postgres')."  But it
> would cause grave confusion and general unhappiness.

Well that does add some confusion.  The reason I even mentioned it was
because of a message/thread earlier this month (last month?) about
Postgres vs. PostgreSQL.  It is a mouthful for sure and I find myself
slurring the QL so it comes out mostly as Postgres (unless I've had a few
pints then I drool the last :-).

Rod