Email signature

From
Aleksander Kmetec
Date:
Hi all!

Since it's supposed to look more professional, I'll be sending out my press
email in HTML form. For this purpose, I've created a signature file, which
you can see at the following link:
    http://postgres-si.org/email/pg_sig.png

If you plan on doing the same, and like the way the sig looks, feel free to
use it. You can get the template at:
    http://postgres-si.org/email/pg_sig.zip

(I hope there's nothing wrong if I use the PG logo this way.)

Regards, Aleksander

Re: Email signature

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Aleksander,

> Since it's supposed to look more professional, I'll be sending out my press
> email in HTML form. For this purpose, I've created a signature file, which

I reccomend against this.   I do not find HTML e-mail to be "more
professional", and spam filters tend to block HTML-only mail.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Email signature

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Aleksander,
>
> > Since it's supposed to look more professional, I'll be sending out my press
> > email in HTML form. For this purpose, I've created a signature file, which
>
> I reccomend against this.   I do not find HTML e-mail to be "more
> professional", and spam filters tend to block HTML-only mail.

As long as it's multi-part mime with a text portion and an html portion,
and the attached graphics are reasonably small, then I see no big problem
with an email that contains an html portion.

However, it might be better to send an email with a link back to the html
version on a server somewhere so the user doesn't have to download the
larger html version unless they want to.

Re: Email signature

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Aleksander,

> I understend your concerns, but looking through my inbox I can see that
> everyone, except a small number of fellow programmers, is using html format
> for sending messges. It seems to be the standard here and plaintext
> messages are pretty much out of the question for business communication.
> I'm not kidding - sometimes I even get asked why I keep replying in
> plaintext! :)

Ok, different from here, then.   In California, plaintext is still the
standard for anything but advertisements.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Email signature

From
Aleksander Kmetec
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:
> I reccomend against this.   I do not find HTML e-mail to be "more
> professional", and spam filters tend to block HTML-only mail.

I understend your concerns, but looking through my inbox I can see that
everyone, except a small number of fellow programmers, is using html format
for sending messges. It seems to be the standard here and plaintext
messages are pretty much out of the question for business communication.
I'm not kidding - sometimes I even get asked why I keep replying in
plaintext! :)

But otherwise it really depends on the recipient. Average computer users -
and most journalists, even those writing for computer magazines, fall into
this category - tend to prefer html emails; which is why I'll be using this
format. It's understandable, though, that your audience might have
different preferences.

-Aleksander

Re: Email signature

From
"Marc G. Fournier"

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:

> Aleksander,
>
> > I understend your concerns, but looking through my inbox I can see that
> > everyone, except a small number of fellow programmers, is using html format
> > for sending messges. It seems to be the standard here and plaintext
> > messages are pretty much out of the question for business communication.
> > I'm not kidding - sometimes I even get asked why I keep replying in
> > plaintext! :)
>
> Ok, different from here, then.   In California, plaintext is still the
> standard for anything but advertisements.

Same here ... my spam filters pick up nicely on HTML email and shuffle it
off to where its supposed to ... no mans land :)

Re: Email signature

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Hi Aleksander,

Yep, there's no professional IT person that I know of that uses HTML
email.  Most consider it *rude* to be sent HTML email, or that the
person sending it was clueless (or made a mistake in their settings
somehow).

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
>

>>Aleksander,
>>

>>>I understend your concerns, but looking through my inbox I can see that
>>>everyone, except a small number of fellow programmers, is using html format
>>>for sending messges. It seems to be the standard here and plaintext
>>>messages are pretty much out of the question for business communication.
>>>I'm not kidding - sometimes I even get asked why I keep replying in
>>>plaintext! :)
>>
>>Ok, different from here, then.   In California, plaintext is still the
>>standard for anything but advertisements.
>

> Same here ... my spam filters pick up nicely on HTML email and shuffle it
> off to where its supposed to ... no mans land :)

Re: Email signature

From
"Joshua D. Drake"
Date:
Hello,

  It is my experience that it is only us geeks (read programmers) that
really hate html email. The majority of
people out there don't know or care about the difference.

Sincerely,

Joshua Drake

Justin Clift wrote:

> Hi Aleksander,
>
> Yep, there's no professional IT person that I know of that uses HTML
> email.  Most consider it *rude* to be sent HTML email, or that the
> person sending it was clueless (or made a mistake in their settings
> somehow).
>
> Regards and best wishes,
>
> Justin Clift
>

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>> On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Josh Berkus wrote:
>>

>>> Aleksander,

>>> Ok, different from here, then.   In California, plaintext is still the
>>> standard for anything but advertisements.
>>

>> Same here ... my spam filters pick up nicely on HTML email and
>> shuffle it
>> off to where its supposed to ... no mans land :)

>> TIP 3: if posting/reading through Usenet, please send an appropriate
>>       subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your
>>       message can get through to the mailing list cleanly

> your

Command Prompt, Inc., home of Mammoth PostgreSQL - S/ODBC - S/JDBC
Postgresql support, programming, shared hosting and dedicated hosting.
+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
PostgreSQL.Org - Editor-N-Chief - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: Email signature

From
Bruno LEVEQUE
Date:
Hi,

Sorry Joshua, but syst. eng. hate html e-mail too. (at least some of
them;-))

In fact I think there people who don't know there is the choice (only
html for them. "There is another solution in oulook ?" ) and others.

Bruno

--
Bruno LEVEQUE
System Engineer

Re: Email signature

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 18:05:55 +0100,
  Bruno LEVEQUE <bruno.leveque@net6d.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Sorry Joshua, but syst. eng. hate html e-mail too. (at least some of
> them;-))
>
> In fact I think there people who don't know there is the choice (only
> html for them. "There is another solution in oulook ?" ) and others.

One thing I have thought of doing is using multipart/alternative to
add a text/html part that didn't match the text/plain part and instead
had a message to please disable html to read this message message.
I figure that most geeks will have set their mailer to prefer text/plain
over text/html instead of going by part order for multipart/alternative
messages. I haven't wanted to spend the work to do this though.

I do run a couple of low volume mailing lists using ezmlm-idx and I
have html stripped out of messages so that pure html messages get
rejected and multipart/alternative messages only end up having
their text/plain parts get through.

Re: Email signature

From
Aleksander Kmetec
Date:
Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> One thing I have thought of doing is using multipart/alternative to
> add a text/html part that didn't match the text/plain part and instead
> had a message to please disable html to read this message message.

That wouldn't do much good. How many e-mail clients allow you to choose
displayed format? I don't think Mozilla does - at least I couldn't find
anything by quckly going over the available settings. But even if they do
change how their email is displayed, they'd most likely still be composing
it as html.

-Aleksander

Re: Email signature

From
Aleksander Kmetec
Date:
Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>  It is my experience that it is only us geeks (read programmers) that
> really hate html email. The majority of
> people out there don't know or care about the difference.

That's exactly how I see it, too.

Programmers use plaintext for practical reasons, while most people simply
don't care. But, nevertheless, they are quite likely to be used to html
emails and like them - otherwhise they WOULD care, wouldn't they?

I believe that sending plaintext to someone who likes html is about as bad
as sending html to someone who prefers plaintext. That's why you need to
know you audience and choose the format accordingly.

While I did say that I'll be sending emails in html, I didn't mean that
I'll be sending them all that way. Some of the recipients on my list are
are Linux user groups / list moderators. I know they wouldn't be too happy
about html mails. Same goes for any other address where I know the person
receiving the message is likely to prefer plaintext.

Still, most of the people on my list fall into the other group and so
they'll be receiving the html email.

-Aleksander

Re: Email signature

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Fri, Nov 14, 2003 at 20:04:31 +0100,
  Aleksander Kmetec <aleksander.kmetec@intera.si> wrote:

> That wouldn't do much good. How many e-mail clients allow you to choose
> displayed format? I don't think Mozilla does - at least I couldn't find
> anything by quckly going over the available settings. But even if they do
> change how their email is displayed, they'd most likely still be composing
> it as html.

mutt allows you to select preferred types to override the implied preferrence
based on part order. It also allows you to view any part of the message
(often needing an external viewer).

Re: Email signature

From
"Joshua D. Drake"

>mutt allows you to select preferred types to override the implied preferrence
>based on part order. It also allows you to view any part of the message
>(often needing an external viewer).

The majority of our target market will probably think you are talking
about a dog that
can read email with the above sentence.

The target market runs:

Outlook
Outlook Express
Eudora
Mozilla Mail
Aol Mail
Notes

All of which will by default accept HTML email.

+1-503-222-2783 - jd@commandprompt.com - http://www.commandprompt.com
Editor-N-Chief - PostgreSQl.Org - http://www.postgresql.org

Re: Email signature

From
"scott.marlowe"
Date:
On Fri, 14 Nov 2003, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> >mutt allows you to select preferred types to override the implied preferrence
> >based on part order. It also allows you to view any part of the message
> >(often needing an external viewer).
> >

> The majority of our target market will probably think you are talking
> about a dog that
> can read email with the above sentence.
>
> The target market runs:
>
> Outlook
> Outlook Express
> Eudora
> Mozilla Mail
> Aol Mail
> Notes
>
> All of which will by default accept HTML email.

Agreed, however, I just wanted to make sure everyone understands that
while sending email that is HTML with an HTML mime header is ok, sending
an email that is HTML without any headers is very bad form.

Most email engines DO in fact set the proper headers to html email so that
the recipient software is told that it is in fact html.

If you send an email with no headers in html to me, I get a bunch of
gobbly-gook that I have to cut and paste into a file and reopen in a web
browser to read, so I probably won't bother.

On the other hand, Pine (what I'm using) understands html email just fine,
highlighting the links and allowing me to open them from within pine.  As
long as the headers are set properly.

So, the real rudeness is in sending html only email that doesn't have the
headers set.  That's something that quite a few people still do.  Mostly
spammers in my experience, but the occasional post here has it.

Re: Email signature

From
William Yu
Date:
My 2 cents. Anytime I see HTML in my email, I automatically assume the
e-mail is spam and hit the junk button.