Re: PostgreSQL presentation at LSM

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
On Monday 16 June 2003 12:44, you wrote:
> After last week's thread wrt the date, it would be the 9th afternoon.

I apologise for the inconvenience, but I will not be able to be at LSM on the
9th and 10th. My wife announced that she had to attend a physics congress on
the 9th and 10th in replacement of a collaborator. We have a young child of
11 months and we connot leave him alone.

Furthermore, Andreas Pflug <Andreas.Pflug@web.de>, pgAdmin3 core developper,
will only be present on the 11 th.

Therefore, both Andreas and I stay open to any proposal:

- Peter Eisentraut may confirm he is willing to do a "Why choose PostgreSQL"
presentation on the 9th, which is his only available date. Otherwise, Andreas
and I can manage such a presentation on the 11th.

Peter, could you confirm your presentation on the 9th? If you require so, we
can take over and make a presentation on the 11th. What is your choice?

- Andreas and I can manage a presentation about "PostgreSQL administration
tools" (mainly pgAdmin3 and PhpPgAdmin3) on the 11th. The main point is to
show how easy and powerfull our tools are. Also, we would like to demonstrate
our new installers (RPM, Win, Debian, Slackware, etc...).

Best regards,
Jean-Michel POURE

Re: PostgreSQL presentation at LSM

From
Jean-Louis Leroy
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE <jm.poure@freesurf.fr> writes:

> - Peter Eisentraut may confirm he is willing to do a "Why choose PostgreSQL"
> presentation on the 9th, which is his only available date. Otherwise, Andreas
> and I can manage such a presentation on the 11th.

That's a presentation I'd really like to have at the LSM.

The 9th appears to be the best compromise between all potential
speakers and communities. Plus, it doesn't overlap with the 'High Level
Language for Application Development' topic, which, I believe, is
likely to attract the same audience (count me in).

That being said, the Meeting does last four days and it's possible to
arrange workshops.

> - Andreas and I can manage a presentation about "PostgreSQL administration
> tools" (mainly pgAdmin3 and PhpPgAdmin3) on the 11th. The main point is to
> show how easy and powerfull our tools are. Also, we would like to demonstrate
> our new installers (RPM, Win, Debian, Slackware, etc...).

...and this could be just the kind of thing that makes for a nice
workshop.
--
Jean-Louis Leroy
Sound Object Logic

Date:
> That's a presentation I'd really like to have at the LSM.

Then you should ask Peter for confirmation.

> > - Andreas and I can manage a presentation about "PostgreSQL
> > administration tools" (mainly pgAdmin3 and PhpPgAdmin3) on the 11th. The
> > main point is to show how easy and powerfull our tools are. Also, we
> > would like to demonstrate our new installers (RPM, Win, Debian,
> > Slackware, etc...).
> ...and this could be just the kind of thing that makes for a nice
> workshop.

pgAdmin3 and PhpPgAdmin3 are also fitted for a public presentation of
"PostgreSQL management tools". How many people could attend a workshop? I
prefer public presentations if possible.

Let's wait for Peter Eisentraut answer.
Only Peter can confirm the date of the 9th.

Best regards, Jean-Michel

Date:
Jean-Michel POURE <jm.poure@freesurf.fr> writes:

> pgAdmin3 and PhpPgAdmin3 are also fitted for a public presentation of
> "PostgreSQL management tools". How many people could attend a workshop? I
> prefer public presentations if possible.

You're probably right about this; from what I've seen in the previous
editions, workshops gather smaller audiences than lectures - probably
because they compete with other theme's lectures, which are usually
very interesting too. Fact is, sometimes nobody turns up.

If you plan to attend the 11th anyway, perhaps you could give a little
tour, which could during a one-hour workshop, preceded by an
introduction. After the Pg lecture(s) on the 9th I would mention the
possibility of a workshop. If you have a good command of the tools,
perhaps exisiting documentation, and you have demo'ed them a couple of
times or have a good idea of what you'd put in a demo, then you can
probably improvise a nice little workshop, answer people's questions,
etc. But please don't spend the same kind of effort on LSM's workshops
as you would on a lecture.
--

Date:
On Monday 16 June 2003 16:48, Jean-Louis Leroy wrote:
> If you have a good command of the tools,
> perhaps exisiting documentation, and you have demo'ed them a couple of
> times or have a good idea of what you'd put in a demo, then you can
> probably improvise a nice little workshop, answer people's questions,
> etc. But please don't spend the same kind of effort on LSM's workshops
> as you would on a lecture.

Yes, you are right. I will discuss this issue with Andreas and will get back
to you. Are you able to print documents (one page teasers)?

Best regards,
Jean-Michel

Date:
> Yes, you are right. I will discuss this issue with Andreas and will get back
> to you. Are you able to print documents (one page teasers)?

Sure.