About that DBTools Postgres manager

From
Diogo Biazus
Date:
Hi Justin,

I just took a look in the DBTools manager (the one that guy told us
trough the advocacy site).
It's incredible, one of the easyest management tools I've ever seen,
it's worth to download it:

http://www.dbtools.com.br

Very good usability.
It's developed by a brazilian guy, but the page is in english and the
software too, and it's freeware.
The only bad point is that it only runs in Windows, there's no
Linux/Unix version,
but I think that such tool must be in a kind of "Official PostgreSQL
Tools List".
There's a lot of people always asking: "Where I can find GUI Tools for
PostgreSQL?",
and only PgAdmin and TOra  are listed on the advocacy site.

--
Diogo de Oliveira Biazus
diogo@ikono.com.br

Re: About that DBTools Postgres manager

From
"Brian Frank"
Date:
I'm in complete agreement with Diogo.  Nothing says "we are a strong,
well-supported community" more than having a great list of add-on tools and
utilities people can pick up and easily use.

This is also a great way to generate passive income for supporting
PostgreSQL development, if the group can collect money in some fashion.  We
can arrange to resell or provide leads to companies that are selling
commercial database software by promoting their software on this site.  Just
a thought.

I'd also like to make a pitch for my favorite utility, PHPMyAdmin, which
currently only supports MySQL.  Its a fully web-based MySQL management
utility

You can find it here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/

If this is ported to PostgreSQL, it'd be a huge hit.  Its already one of the
most active projects on SourceForge.

- Brian

Brian Frank
email@brianfrank.com
http://www.brianfrank.com

[...]

Shane McChesney
Date:
On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 10:47:50 -0800, Brian Frank wrote:
>I'm in complete agreement with Diogo.  Nothing says "we are a
>strong, well-supported community" more than having a great list of
>add-on tools and utilities people can pick up and easily use.

[snip]

>I'd also like to make a pitch for my favorite utility, PHPMyAdmin,
>which currently only supports MySQL.  Its a fully web-based MySQL
>management utility
>
>You can find it here:
>
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/
>
>If this is ported to PostgreSQL, it'd be a huge hit.  Its already
>one of the most active projects on SourceForge.

Brian,

I probably won't be the only one to point this out, but there *is* a
phpPgAdmin - check out:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/phppgadmin/

I haven't tried it yet myself, but just a week ago I was as surprised
as you must be now to hear about it.

It's at v2.4.2 as of this past July.

It seems there's no shortage of PostgreSQL tools, just a shortage of
publicity for them - even Pg fans like you and I are just finding out
about these now, while phpMyAdmin seems to get an article a week.

That's definitely something we can change with advocacy and
promotion.

Thanks,

Shane McChesney
President,
Wesearch Information Services Inc.

Re: About that DBTools Postgres manager

From
Neil Conway
Date:
"Brian Frank" <bjf3@yahoo.com> writes:
> I'd also like to make a pitch for my favorite utility, PHPMyAdmin, which
> currently only supports MySQL.

Try phpPgAdmin:

        http://phppgadmin.sourceforge.net/

Cheers,

Neil

Re: About that DBTools Postgres manager

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 13:47, Brian Frank wrote:

> I'd also like to make a pitch for my favorite utility, PHPMyAdmin, which
> currently only supports MySQL.  Its a fully web-based MySQL management
> utility
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/
>
> If this is ported to PostgreSQL, it'd be a huge hit.  Its already one of the
> most active projects on SourceForge.

ouch. that hurts.

:-(

Robert Treat
phpPgAdmin developer

Re: About that DBTools Postgres manager

From
"Brian Frank"
Date:
Ok.  Let me apologize to all for not seeing this sooner.  I also didn't
notice it as a sponsored link on Google.  My bad. ;)

I'm a big fan of these tools, so don't my comment as a bad thing, we just
need to get the product more exposure.  Maybe through something like a
"PostgreSQL Recommended Software" site? ;)

- Brian

On Thu, 2002-11-07 at 13:47, Brian Frank wrote:

> I'd also like to make a pitch for my favorite utility, PHPMyAdmin, which
> currently only supports MySQL.  Its a fully web-based MySQL management
> utility
>
> You can find it here:
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/phpmyadmin/
>
> If this is ported to PostgreSQL, it'd be a huge hit.  Its already one of
the
> most active projects on SourceForge.

ouch. that hurts.

:-(

Robert Treat
phpPgAdmin developer

Re: About that DBTools Postgres manager

From
Diogo Biazus

>I probably won't be the only one to point this out, but there *is* a
>phpPgAdmin - check out:
>
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/phppgadmin/
>
>I haven't tried it yet myself, but just a week ago I was as surprised
>as you must be now to hear about it.
>
>It's at v2.4.2 as of this past July.

I've been using phpPgAdmin for a while too and it's very impressive.
Better than a lot of traditional GUI apps.

>It seems there's no shortage of PostgreSQL tools, just a shortage of
>publicity for them - even Pg fans like you and I are just finding out
>about these now, while phpMyAdmin seems to get an article a week.
>
>That's definitely something we can change with advocacy and
>promotion.

I agree totaly with you.
And there's a few others too, like Xpg (http://www.kazak.ws/xpg/) and
DataArchitect (http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/ - this
one is for database design, like ERwin).

--
Diogo de Oliveira Biazus
diogo@ikono.com.br
Ikono Sistemas e Automação
http://www.ikono.com.br

Re: About that DBTools Postgres manager

From
"Brian Frank"
Date:
Since I put my foot in my mouth, I'll volunteer to collect the list of these
applications, and put together a page for Justin.

Please sent the application names, links, and short descriptions to me at my
personal e-mail address (email@brianfrank.com), and Justin and I will
publicize it on the mailing list, and hopefully on other media sites, when
we get everything coalesced.

Sound good?

- Brian

Brian Frank
email@brianfrank.com
http://www.brianfrank.com

>I probably won't be the only one to point this out, but there *is* a
>phpPgAdmin - check out:
>
>http://sourceforge.net/projects/phppgadmin/
>
>I haven't tried it yet myself, but just a week ago I was as surprised
>as you must be now to hear about it.
>
>It's at v2.4.2 as of this past July.

I've been using phpPgAdmin for a while too and it's very impressive.
Better than a lot of traditional GUI apps.

>It seems there's no shortage of PostgreSQL tools, just a shortage of
>publicity for them - even Pg fans like you and I are just finding out
>about these now, while phpMyAdmin seems to get an article a week.
>
>That's definitely something we can change with advocacy and
>promotion.

I agree totaly with you.
And there's a few others too, like Xpg (http://www.kazak.ws/xpg/) and
DataArchitect (http://www.thekompany.com/products/dataarchitect/ - this
one is for database design, like ERwin).

--
Diogo de Oliveira Biazus
diogo@ikono.com.br
Ikono Sistemas e Automação
http://www.ikono.com.br

Re: About that DBTools Postgres manager

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Brian,

> Since I put my foot in my mouth, I'll volunteer to collect the list
> of these
> applications, and put together a page for Justin.

I've already assembled a list of applications, and am composing an
article about them.   Shall we collaborate?

-Josh Berkus