Anybody here?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:

Date:

>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Anybody here?

From
Josh Berkus
Date:
Justin,

Who else is here?   You don't need my introduction, but here it goes:

Hi!  I'm Josh Berkus.   I've been using PostgreSQL professionally for over 2
years, and I've been the Marketing Lead for the OpenOffice.org project for
the last year-and-a-half.

I'd like to help out with Postgres Advocacy, particularly dealing with the
Press, which I enjoy in a masochistic kinda way.

--
-Josh Berkus
 Aglio Database Solutions

Re: Anybody here?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Josh Berkus wrote:

> Justin,
>
> Who else is here?   You don't need my introduction, but here it goes:

Um, Bruce Momjian is here.  Robert Treat is here, Shridhar Daithankar
should have confirmed his subscription to pgsql-advoacy by now, a couple
of others at least too.

:)

> Hi!  I'm Josh Berkus.   I've been using PostgreSQL professionally for over 2
> years, and I've been the Marketing Lead for the OpenOffice.org project for
> the last year-and-a-half.

And doing a decent job too.  :)

> I'd like to help out with Postgres Advocacy, particularly dealing with the
> Press, which I enjoy in a masochistic kinda way.

Hey, that's my Gig!  :-p

Heh Heh Heh

For a different tact, am thinking we should probably start organising
language-specific contacts.  Not country based ones at the moment (am
pretty sure things aren't ready for that just yet), but definitely
language based ones.

After launching the Advocacy site, within about 72 hours we had offers
to translated it into German, French, Polish, Finnish, Brazilian
Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, and another I think (exactly which is
eluding me just now).

Thoughts?

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> --
> -Josh Berkus
>  Aglio Database Solutions
>  San Francisco

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Anybody here?

From
Robert Treat
Date:
On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 14:58, Justin Clift wrote:
> After launching the Advocacy site, within about 72 hours we had offers
> to translated it into German, French, Polish, Finnish, Brazilian
> Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, and another I think (exactly which is
> eluding me just now).
>
> Thoughts?

I thought I saw someone (you?) post that you had a spanish translator.
If you don't and we can't find one, I could probably do it, though I am
not a native speaker.

Robert Treat

Re: Anybody here?

From
Justin Clift
Date:
Robert Treat wrote:
<snip>
> I thought I saw someone (you?) post that you had a spanish translator.
> If you don't and we can't find one, I could probably do it, though I am
> not a native speaker.

Just checked.  :)

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@atentus.com> is the Spanish volunteer.  There
are about 220 lines that need to be translated from English to Spanish
for the present version of the site.

Perhaps you'd like to co-ordinate with Alvaro in the translation of the
text strings?

The Web-based interface to update text strings directory into the
database is mostly in place too, but needs a bit more finesse before
it'll be ready for general usage.

:-)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

> Robert Treat

   - Indira Gandhi

Re: Anybody here?

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Justin,

> For a different tact, am thinking we should probably start organising
> language-specific contacts.  Not country based ones at the moment (am
> pretty sure things aren't ready for that just yet), but definitely
> language based ones.

Oh, do I gotta?  I hoped that I left that behind at OpenOffice.org ...

> After launching the Advocacy site, within about 72 hours we had
> offers
> to translated it into German, French, Polish, Finnish, Brazilian
> Portuguese, Italian, Swedish, and another I think (exactly which is
> eluding me just now).
>
> Thoughts?

Not much to begin with ... just create a mailing list:
pgsql-advocacy-lang@postgresql.org
... all translators will subscribe to that mailing list, and we'll post
announcements of new website text there.

Unless you can come up with a more sophisticated web-based system, in
which users can browse items needing to be translated, "check them
out", download them, and the upload + update them.

Also, BTW, we'd better have an press release for version 7.3.  MySQL is
plowing us under, mainly because they have a marketing dept and we
don't ... yet.   They're getting accolades for implementing features
that we had 2 years ago.  We need to toot our own horn ... loud.

-Josh Berkus

Re: Anybody here?

From
Andrew Sullivan
Date:
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:46:48AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Justin,
>
> Who else is here?   You don't need my introduction, but here it goes:

I'm here.  Among other fairly modest claims to fame, I wrote about
half of this:

<http://www.icann.org/tlds/org/questions-to-applicants-13.htm#Response13TheInternetSocietyISOC>

----
                                         +1 416 646 3304 x110

Re: Anybody here?

From
Shane McChesney
Date:
On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:46:48AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Justin,
>
> Who else is here?

I'm here. Shane McChesney, pleased to meet you all. (Justin, I've
talked with you by email before, after you created those great Flash
tutorials on Sequences and Referential Integrity.)

I joined this list about a week after Josh's post above, but saw it
just now in Andrew Sullivan's response.

Bruce Momjian suggested I join this list after I contacted him about
an idea I had... rather than rephrase all that and redundantly
introduce myself, here's the core of the email I sent to Bruce:

> I'm considering self-publishing a PostgreSQL magazine. Well, a
> "zine", really, or a technical journal, to promote the adoption of
> PostgreSQL by corporations.
>
> Yesterday I registered http://www.enterprisepgsql.com to give
> myself a place to start work on the idea. There's nothing there
> yet, of course, and this won't happen overnight.
>
> I've been promoting PostgreSQL on my weblog for some time:
>
> Keeping My Money Where My Mouth Is
> http://www.skippingdot.net/2002/01/23
>
> Book Review: PostgreSQL Essential Reference
> http://www.skippingdot.net/2002/01/29
>
> Open Source Databases Linkfest
> http://www.skippingdot.net/2002/01/30
>
> A Structured Comparison Of OSDBs: Part One
> http://www.skippingdot.net/2002/02/01
>
> I think going to a paper periodical could really help promote
> PostgreSQL, and -- I can't promise anything at this stage, of
> course-- perhaps even contribute financially to PostgreSQL
> development down the line.
>
> I look at the 1994 issues of Linux Journal I recently bought on
> eBay, and compare them to the LJ of today, and realize that's how I
> got started with Linux: through the magazines.
>
> I'd like other people to have that opportunity with PostgreSQL.
>
> I'm not looking for any money or effort from you guys (well, maybe
> the odd article down the line), just advice, context. You've been
> around the project a long time, and I'm still just building my
> first few apps on the database.
>
> Do you know of anyone else doing anything like this? A PostgreSQL
> magazine / journal / zine / newsletter? Do you think I'm nuts? What
> other advice would you throw out there?
>
> As an independent -- as in non-BigPub -- self-published project,
> this would start really slow and grow as subscriptions permit. Kind
> of like what Bryan Richard is doing over at Py, at
> http://www.pyzine.com -- I'm holding regular counsel with Bryan for
> his guidance too.
>
> Any thoughts that you could give would be welcome.

The weblog mentioned above has as its theme the slow but steady
migration of my business from the MS universe to the Open universe.
PostgreSQL is my database of choice - I haven't used it as much as
I'd have liked yet, but it's where I'm headed, where I want my data
to live.

The idea of doing a self-published zine came out of my conversations
with various people about the shortcomings of computer books (too
thick, quickly out of date) and my desire to work in the print
medium.

I figured, as with my weblog, I might as well write about something I
believe in.

A first issue is months away from seeing print, of course, I'm still
in the planning stage.

I'm interested in knowing what the rest of the list thinks of the
idea... Please don't slap me too hard. :)

Thanks,

Shane McChesney
President,
Wesearch Information Services Inc.
705-735-2587

Re: Anybody here?

From
"Shridhar Daithankar"
Date:
On 22 Oct 2002 at 12:13, Shane McChesney wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:46:48AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > Justin,
> >
> > Who else is here?

Sorry for replying to a reply. Let me introduce myself. Shridhar Daithankar, a
Software Engineer working in India. A linux enthu guy who has done some
application programming on postgresql.. I guess that's enough..;-)

> > I'm considering self-publishing a PostgreSQL magazine. Well, a
> > "zine", really, or a technical journal, to promote the adoption of
> > PostgreSQL by corporations.

How about on the line of postgresqltoday.com? We all have plenty of things to
share about..

HTH
Bye
 Shridhar

--
Phasers locked on target, Captain.

Re: Anybody here?

From
"Josh Berkus"
Date:
Shane,

> > I'm considering self-publishing a PostgreSQL magazine. Well, a
> > "zine", really, or a technical journal, to promote the adoption of
> > PostgreSQL by corporations.

You might want to check out Nolo Press' book, "Starting and Running a
Successful Newsletter or Magazine."

The real question is, how many people would pay for a PostgreSQL
magazine, and how many people could you get to write articles for it?
 The two questions are related, since offering more money is a good way
to get more articles, but you have to sell the magazine first ...

-Josh Berkus

Re: Anybody here?

From
Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder
Date:
[thanks josh]

On Tue, 2002-10-22 at 19:10, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Shane,
>
> > > I'm considering self-publishing a PostgreSQL magazine. Well, a
> > > "zine", really, or a technical journal, to promote the adoption of
> > > PostgreSQL by corporations.
>
> You might want to check out Nolo Press' book, "Starting and Running a
> Successful Newsletter or Magazine."
>
> The real question is, how many people would pay for a PostgreSQL
> magazine, and how many people could you get to write articles for it?
>  The two questions are related, since offering more money is a good way
> to get more articles, but you have to sell the magazine first ...

If you're thinking about a magazine in print, I'd guess one could try to
arrange to get it distributed along with an already established magazine
(especially if it's only just a few pages in the beginning).

But then, I don't know anything about publishing, so you'll want to
ignore me :-)

cheers
-- vbi

--
this email is protected by a digital signature   http://fortytwo.ch/gpg

NOTE: get my key here: http://www.google.com/search?q=mQGiBDx2a6ERBAC8l

Attachment

Re: Anybody here?

From
"Jeff MacDonald"
Date:
Hi

I'm here too.

Jeff MacDonald
Perl/Pgsql Geek

Just curious, is there a postgresql pay pal account setup ?

This should be on all of the pgsql pages if one exists.

Anyone remember a few years back Slashdot was sending out those
postcard sized flyers to IT folks all over the place ?

I wonder what that kind of thing costs.. I for one thing PostgreSQL
postcards would be an awesome marketing idea.. pass them out at
conferences, send to the random folks etc..

jeff.

elein

I like the idea of a 'zine.  That would be great.

Something I had been thinking about recently was a "column" of sorts with
items from pgsql-general.  That  list is too big to follow closely, but it is full of
useful tidbits.  I could write such a column or perhaps several of us could work
together to produce such a column.  It would be easier with several people since
we are all working on our own projects as well.

elein@norcov.com

On Tuesday 22 October 2002 09:13, Shane McChesney wrote:
> [...]
>
> The weblog mentioned above has as its theme the slow but steady
> migration of my business from the MS universe to the Open universe.
> PostgreSQL is my database of choice - I haven't used it as much as
> I'd have liked yet, but it's where I'm headed, where I want my data
> to live.
>
> The idea of doing a self-published zine came out of my conversations
> with various people about the shortcomings of computer books (too
> thick, quickly out of date) and my desire to work in the print
> medium.
>
> I figured, as with my weblog, I might as well write about something I
> believe in.
>
> A first issue is months away from seeing print, of course, I'm still
> in the planning stage.
>
> I'm interested in knowing what the rest of the list thinks of the
> idea... Please don't slap me too hard. :)

Re: Anybody here?

From
Devrim GUNDUZ
Date:
Hi,

> On Mon, Oct 07, 2002 at 11:46:48AM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> Justin,
>
> Who else is here?

I'm here, too. ;)

I'm from Turkey. Currently maintaining Turkish translation of Advocacy
site and hosting official mirror of techdocs site.

Also, presenting lots of PostgreSQL seminars all around the country. My
main aim is to convince government departments to use PostgreSQL mode and
more. In addition to them, published Turkish PostreSQL tutorials.

Also, I'm trying to form a "Turkish PostgreSQL Users' Society".

Thanks a lot to Justin, for assisting me a lot since I've known him.

Regards.
--

Devrim GUNDUZ

devrim@oper.metu.edu.tr            Tel  : (312) 295 9318