Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

From
Silvana Bravo
Date:
Hello, I'm planning a migration of production DBs from Oracle to Postgresql. I would like to receive some suggestions, advising or links to related subjects. I decided to rewrite all store procedures, that is not a problem.  But regarding the data I was thinking in migrating schema by schema. First, create all table structures in postgresql schema. Then, generate inserts statements from Oracle schema to extract all data. Addapt those inserts to the .sql script/s in postgresql schema.
I'm currently making a POC of that process since the schemas to migrate are not so big. Only a few tables have around 1.000.000 of rows.
That would be the manual migration. Are there some other ways to make this?

Thanks for the support and I'm glad to start with postgres.

Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

From
Igor Neyman

From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Silvana Bravo
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:58 AM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

Hello, I'm planning a migration of production DBs from Oracle to Postgresql. I would like to receive some suggestions,
advisingor links to related subjects. I decided to rewrite all store procedures, that is not a problem.  But regarding
thedata I was thinking in migrating schema by schema. First, create all table structures in postgresql schema. Then,
generateinserts statements from Oracle schema to extract all data. Addapt those inserts to the .sql script/s in
postgresqlschema.
I'm currently making a POC of that process since the schemas to migrate are not so big. Only a few tables have around
1.000.000of rows.
That would be the manual migration. Are there some other ways to make this?

Thanks for the support and I'm glad to start with postgres.

----

Oracle has so called "heterogeneous services" that would allow to connect directly (creating db link) to Postgres ODBC
datasource, that you could point to your Postgres database.

Regards,
Igor Neyman

Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

From
Prashanth Ranjalkar
Date:
Yes, You can use the mentioned method by using scripts or also there are few migration tools available to perform the migration of schema..

Thanks & Regards,

Prashanth Ranjalkar
Database Consultant & Architect
Skype:prashanth.ranjalkar

Hello, I'm planning a migration of production DBs from Oracle to Postgresql. I would like to receive some suggestions, advising or links to related subjects. I decided to rewrite all store procedures, that is not a problem.  But regarding the data I was thinking in migrating schema by schema. First, create all table structures in postgresql schema. Then, generate inserts statements from Oracle schema to extract all data. Addapt those inserts to the .sql script/s in postgresql schema.
I'm currently making a POC of that process since the schemas to migrate are not so big. Only a few tables have around 1.000.000 of rows.
That would be the manual migration. Are there some other ways to make this?

Thanks for the support and I'm glad to start with postgres.

Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

From
Vibhor Kumar
Date:
On May 2, 2013, at 9:57 AM, Silvana Bravo <bravo.silver@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm planning a migration of production DBs from Oracle to
> Postgresql. I would like to receive some suggestions, advising or links to
> related subjects. I decided to rewrite all store procedures, that is not a
> problem.  But regarding the data I was thinking in migrating schema by
> schema. First, create all table structures in postgresql schema. Then,
> generate inserts statements from Oracle schema to extract all data. Addapt
> those inserts to the .sql script/s in postgresql schema.
> I'm currently making a POC of that process since the schemas to migrate are
> not so big. Only a few tables have around 1.000.000 of rows.
> That would be the manual migration. Are there some other ways to make this?
>
> Thanks for the support and I'm glad to start with postgres.

You can use Migration Tool kit or xDB Replication solution from Oracle to PostgreSQL.
http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.2/repguide/Postgres_Plus_xDB_Replication_Server_Users_Guide-51.htm#P6096_508028

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
Blogs:http://vibhork.blogspot.com
http://vibhorkumar.wordpress.com

Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

From
Leonardo Carneiro
Date:
I used full convert to convert firebird DBs to postgresql. with a few tweaks, works like a charm. never tried with oracle.

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Vibhor Kumar <vibhor.aim@gmail.com> wrote:

On May 2, 2013, at 9:57 AM, Silvana Bravo <bravo.silver@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm planning a migration of production DBs from Oracle to
> Postgresql. I would like to receive some suggestions, advising or links to
> related subjects. I decided to rewrite all store procedures, that is not a
> problem.  But regarding the data I was thinking in migrating schema by
> schema. First, create all table structures in postgresql schema. Then,
> generate inserts statements from Oracle schema to extract all data. Addapt
> those inserts to the .sql script/s in postgresql schema.
> I'm currently making a POC of that process since the schemas to migrate are
> not so big. Only a few tables have around 1.000.000 of rows.
> That would be the manual migration. Are there some other ways to make this?
>
> Thanks for the support and I'm glad to start with postgres.

You can use Migration Tool kit or xDB Replication solution from Oracle to PostgreSQL.
http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.2/repguide/Postgres_Plus_xDB_Replication_Server_Users_Guide-51.htm#P6096_508028

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
Blogs:http://vibhork.blogspot.com
http://vibhorkumar.wordpress.com

Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

From
"Paul B. Anderson"
Date:
There is also ora2pg.  I have not tried it but it looks easy.  http://ora2pg.darold.net/

I used full convert to convert firebird DBs to postgresql. with a few tweaks, works like a charm. never tried with oracle.

On Thu, May 2, 2013 at 11:09 AM, Vibhor Kumar <vibhor.aim@gmail.com> wrote:

On May 2, 2013, at 9:57 AM, Silvana Bravo <bravo.silver@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello, I'm planning a migration of production DBs from Oracle to
> Postgresql. I would like to receive some suggestions, advising or links to
> related subjects. I decided to rewrite all store procedures, that is not a
> problem.  But regarding the data I was thinking in migrating schema by
> schema. First, create all table structures in postgresql schema. Then,
> generate inserts statements from Oracle schema to extract all data. Addapt
> those inserts to the .sql script/s in postgresql schema.
> I'm currently making a POC of that process since the schemas to migrate are
> not so big. Only a few tables have around 1.000.000 of rows.
> That would be the manual migration. Are there some other ways to make this?
>
> Thanks for the support and I'm glad to start with postgres.

You can use Migration Tool kit or xDB Replication solution from Oracle to PostgreSQL.
http://www.enterprisedb.com/docs/en/9.2/repguide/Postgres_Plus_xDB_Replication_Server_Users_Guide-51.htm#P6096_508028

Thanks & Regards,
Vibhor Kumar
Blogs:http://vibhork.blogspot.com
http://vibhorkumar.wordpress.com

Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

From
"Simpson, John (IMS)"

I used Ora2Pg to migrate our production databases from Oracle 10g to Postgres a couple years ago. It was extremely simple.

http://ora2pg.darold.net/

Hello, I'm planning a migration of production DBs from Oracle to Postgresql. I would like to receive some suggestions, advising or links to related subjects. I decided to rewrite all store procedures, that is not a problem.  But regarding the data I was thinking in migrating schema by schema. First, create all table structures in postgresql schema. Then, generate inserts statements from Oracle schema to extract all data. Addapt those inserts to the .sql script/s in postgresql schema.

I'm currently making a POC of that process since the schemas to migrate are not so big. Only a few tables have around 1.000.000 of rows.

That would be the manual migration. Are there some other ways to make this?

Thanks for the support and I'm glad to start with postgres.

Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for the addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender of the error.

Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

From
"McKinzie, Alan (Alan)"

I used ora2pg a couple years ago.  I made a few minor changes to fit our specific requirements, but it worked well for our migration to Postgresql.

Alan

Date:
On May 2, 2013, at 10:38 AM, "McKinzie, Alan (Alan)" <alanmck@avaya.com> wrote:

> I used ora2pg a couple years ago.  I made a few minor changes to fit our specific requirements, but it worked well
forour migration to Postgresql.

Ora2Pg is a good tool for one time migration.

However, when we come to crucial production databases where we have least downtime window. Then replicating data from
Oracleto PostgreSQL and later doing switchover to postgreSQL (new database) in short window, is the efficient way I
havefound and I have used xDB Replication most of time, since its easy to configure and provides GUI mode to monitor
yourreplication etc. I did many migration from Oracle Production database to PostgreSQL. Getting long downtime window
forProduction is the main issue I have seen for crucial customer facing applications.