Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Simpson, John (IMS)
Subject Re: Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql
Date
List pgsql-admin

I used Ora2Pg to migrate our production databases from Oracle 10g to Postgres a couple years ago. It was extremely simple.

http://ora2pg.darold.net/

From: pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org [mailto:pgsql-admin-owner@postgresql.org] On Behalf Of Silvana Bravo
Sent: Thursday, May 02, 2013 9:58 AM
To: pgsql-admin@postgresql.org
Subject: [ADMIN] Migration from Oracle 11g to Postgresql

Hello, I'm planning a migration of production DBs from Oracle to Postgresql. I would like to receive some suggestions, advising or links to related subjects. I decided to rewrite all store procedures, that is not a problem.  But regarding the data I was thinking in migrating schema by schema. First, create all table structures in postgresql schema. Then, generate inserts statements from Oracle schema to extract all data. Addapt those inserts to the .sql script/s in postgresql schema.

I'm currently making a POC of that process since the schemas to migrate are not so big. Only a few tables have around 1.000.000 of rows.

That would be the manual migration. Are there some other ways to make this?

Thanks for the support and I'm glad to start with postgres.

Information in this e-mail may be confidential. It is intended only for the addressee(s) identified above. If you are not the addressee(s), or an employee or agent of the addressee(s), please note that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender of the error.