Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10

From
Jordz
Date:
I have just moved to rackspacecloud and created a Ubuntu 9.10 server.
Moved everything over all fine (7-10 wordpress sites). Now I have a
couple rails apps that need to move over and run on postgresql 8.4.

I installed postgresql via sudo apt-get as per usual. Usually at this
point the postgresql server starts up and I can forget about it. But
no luck. I booted it by running /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 start. When
I run that command it boots fine, I can connect via psql no trouble.

I rebooted the machine to see what happened. After boot, apache and
mysql started just fine, wp sites came up nicely no trouble.
postgresql wouldn't start up.

I have tried installing from source, I have tried using different
/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 scripts. I have no idea what to do.

I have downgraded to upstart to 0.6.3-10. I have apt-get updated,
upgraded. I have Googled. I have pushed and pulled.

Usually with any linux issue in the past I have been able to find a
solution on the net or work it out myself. This one stumps me to no
end.

The other irritating part is that while I wait to work out this issue
I am still paying for my old server running my Rails apps.

Anybody have any clues? Solutions? Experience? Cheers!

FORUM POST HERE http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9063126#post9063126

Re: Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10

From
Scott Whitney
Date:
Will PG start at all? Manually, even? I'd say "go back to clean," first of all
by removing your from-source install, and reinstall the apt-get packages.

At that point, can you start postgres at all? If not, what do you system logs
and postgres startup logs say?

Date:
Jordz <jordan.d.carter@gmail.com> writes:
> I have just moved to rackspacecloud and created a Ubuntu 9.10 server.
> Moved everything over all fine (7-10 wordpress sites). Now I have a
> couple rails apps that need to move over and run on postgresql 8.4.

> I installed postgresql via sudo apt-get as per usual. Usually at this
> point the postgresql server starts up and I can forget about it. But
> no luck. I booted it by running /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 start. When
> I run that command it boots fine, I can connect via psql no trouble.

Usually, just installing a package is not enough to make it autostart
at boot --- if that were true then people could never safely "install
everything".  I think you missed a step.  On Red Hat systems you'd need
something like "sudo chkconfig postgresql on"; probably Ubuntu is
similar.

            regards, tom lane

Re: Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10

From
Scott Marlowe
Date:
On Thu, Apr 1, 2010 at 8:53 PM, Jordz <jordan.d.carter@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have just moved to rackspacecloud and created a Ubuntu 9.10 server.
> Moved everything over all fine (7-10 wordpress sites). Now I have a
> couple rails apps that need to move over and run on postgresql 8.4.
>
> I installed postgresql via sudo apt-get as per usual. Usually at this
> point the postgresql server starts up and I can forget about it. But
> no luck. I booted it by running /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 start. When
> I run that command it boots fine, I can connect via psql no trouble.

Look up the update-rc.d command.  It's what's used in debian and
ubuntu to setup services to run or not run on boot etc.

Re: Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10

From
Jens Wilke
Date:
Am Dienstag 06 April 2010 20:38:46 schrieb Tom Lane:

> Usually, just installing a package is not enough to make it autostart
> at boot

This is not true for debian and ubuntu.

Date:
Am Dienstag 06 April 2010 20:38:46 schrieb Tom Lane:

> Usually, just installing a package is not enough to make it autostart
> at boot

sorry for the first reply.
On debian and ubuntu update-rcd is usually run when installing new
packages. 8.4.2-0ubuntu9.10 installes fine here and creates all the links
in /etc/rc*
Please check if they exist:
ls /etc/rc*/*postgres*

Regards,