Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Jordz
Subject Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10
Date
Re: Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10  (Scott Marlowe <scott.marlowe@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-admin
I have just moved to rackspacecloud and created a Ubuntu 9.10 server.
Moved everything over all fine (7-10 wordpress sites). Now I have a
couple rails apps that need to move over and run on postgresql 8.4.

I installed postgresql via sudo apt-get as per usual. Usually at this
point the postgresql server starts up and I can forget about it. But
no luck. I booted it by running /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 start. When
I run that command it boots fine, I can connect via psql no trouble.

I rebooted the machine to see what happened. After boot, apache and
mysql started just fine, wp sites came up nicely no trouble.
postgresql wouldn't start up.

I have tried installing from source, I have tried using different
/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 scripts. I have no idea what to do.

I have downgraded to upstart to 0.6.3-10. I have apt-get updated,
upgraded. I have Googled. I have pushed and pulled.

Usually with any linux issue in the past I have been able to find a
solution on the net or work it out myself. This one stumps me to no
end.

The other irritating part is that while I wait to work out this issue
I am still paying for my old server running my Rails apps.

Anybody have any clues? Solutions? Experience? Cheers!

FORUM POST HERE http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9063126#post9063126