Re: Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10 - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10
Date
Re: Postgresql-8.4 won't boot at startup on 9.10  (Jens Wilke <jens.wilke@affinitas.de>)
List pgsql-admin
Jordz <jordan.d.carter@gmail.com> writes:
> I have just moved to rackspacecloud and created a Ubuntu 9.10 server.
> Moved everything over all fine (7-10 wordpress sites). Now I have a
> couple rails apps that need to move over and run on postgresql 8.4.

> I installed postgresql via sudo apt-get as per usual. Usually at this
> point the postgresql server starts up and I can forget about it. But
> no luck. I booted it by running /etc/init.d/postgresql-8.4 start. When
> I run that command it boots fine, I can connect via psql no trouble.

Usually, just installing a package is not enough to make it autostart
at boot --- if that were true then people could never safely "install
everything".  I think you missed a step.  On Red Hat systems you'd need
something like "sudo chkconfig postgresql on"; probably Ubuntu is
similar.

            regards, tom lane