feture request

From
"Little, Douglas"
Date:
font-family:Arial">Hi, <br /> I’m new to this community and not sure how to submit feature request.  Please
advise.</span></font><pclass="MsoNormal"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial">I’m converting from Teradata to greenplum,  and one nice feature in our TD query tool was a query
font-family:Arial">Timestamp,  completion code, rows affected, and sql statement</span></font><p
class="MsoNormal"><fontface="Arial" size="2"><span style="font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial">PGadmin seems to be very unstable in our environment,   and is crashing all the time.  A query
style="font-size:10.0pt;
style="font-size:10.0pt;
font-family:Arial">Sr. Data Warehouse Architect | Enterprise Data Management | Orbitz Worldwide </span></font><p
class="MsoNormal"style="margin-right:-1.25in"><font face="Arial" size="2"><span
style="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial">500W. Madison, Suite 1000  Chicago IL 60661| Office 312.260.2588 | Fax
312.894.5164| Cell 847-997-5741</span></font><h3 style="margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt"><strong><b><font face="Arial"
size="2"><spanstyle="font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Arial;font-weight:normal"><a href="mailto:Douglas.Little@orbitz.com"
title="mailto:dlittle@orbitz.com"><b><span
size="3"><spanstyle="font-size:

Re: feture request

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le lundi 16 novembre 2009 à 19:08:29, Little, Douglas a écrit :
> Hi,
> I'm new to this community and not sure how to submit feature request.
>  Please advise.
>
> I'm converting from Teradata to greenplum,  and one nice feature in our TD
>  query tool was a query history. Timestamp,  completion code, rows
>  affected, and sql statement
>
> PGadmin seems to be very unstable in our environment,   and is crashing all
>  the time.  A query history would be real helpful. Thanks

There is already a query history. But we don't record it. It would probably be
interesting to do it. We need to know more about what you would like to have
this. In which file should we record this? how someone can work with this
history file? etc.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: feture request

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
> Le lundi 16 novembre 2009 à 19:08:29, Little, Douglas a écrit :
>> Hi,
>> I'm new to this community and not sure how to submit feature request.
>>  Please advise.
>>
>> I'm converting from Teradata to greenplum,  and one nice feature in our TD
>>  query tool was a query history. Timestamp,  completion code, rows
>>  affected, and sql statement
>>
>> PGadmin seems to be very unstable in our environment,   and is crashing all
>>  the time.  A query history would be real helpful. Thanks
>>

> There is already a query history. But we don't record it. It would probably be
> interesting to do it. We need to know more about what you would like to have
> this. In which file should we record this? how someone can work with this
> history file? etc.

It's been on my mental todo list for a while (but feel free to give it
a go). There is/was a similar in the DB2 management GUI which I used a
little a few years back - basically, they have a combo box above the
query input STC (spanning the width of the STC), in which every time
you execute a query, it adds a flattened (ie. \n's replaced with
spaces, double spaces replaced with single) version of the first few
lines to the combo list. If you select one of those queries, it simply
replaces the STC contents with the unflattened version of the original
query.

--
Dave Page

Re: feture request

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:

I recorded that as ticket # 93 (http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/93).

--

Date:
Le 19/11/2009 21:35, Guillaume Lelarge a écrit :
> Le jeudi 19 novembre 2009 à 00:57:55, Dave Page a écrit :
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 8:55 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
>>
>> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>>> There is already a query history. But we don't record it. It would
>>> probably be interesting to do it. We need to know more about what you
>>> would like to have this. In which file should we record this? how someone
>>> can work with this history file? etc.
>>
>> It's been on my mental todo list for a while (but feel free to give it
>> a go). There is/was a similar in the DB2 management GUI which I used a
>> little a few years back - basically, they have a combo box above the
>> query input STC (spanning the width of the STC), in which every time
>> you execute a query, it adds a flattened (ie. \n's replaced with
>> spaces, double spaces replaced with single) version of the first few
>> lines to the combo list. If you select one of those queries, it simply
>> replaces the STC contents with the unflattened version of the original
>> query.
>>

> I recorded that as ticket # 93 (http://code.pgadmin.org/trac/ticket/93).

OK, I have something like this working. See the screenshot to have a
look at it. Actually, it loads the file at startup. If you choose an
item, it puts the query in the query text box. If you execute a query,
it adds the query in the combobox and save the contents of the combobox.

When writing the code, I had four questions:

 * should we have a global history or a history per database? I prefer
   the former...
 * probably I need to add a Clear button?
 * should I add options to allow the change the filename?
 * is there anything else I have to add?

Comments?

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org

Attachment

Re: feture request

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 27/01/2010 23:53, Little, Douglas a écrit :
> [...]
> Thanks so much for working on this.  I'm impressed that it's actually worked it's way up the queue.

It's an interesting feature, and simple to code. So, it finds its way up
really easily :)

> * should we have a global history or a history per database? I prefer
>   the former...
>
> global histor is fine. But would be nice to record what db it was issued against.

It can be displayed, and only puts the query in the textbox when selected.

>  * probably I need to add a Clear button?
>
> Management capability is needed. Delete record, delete all, copy to query window.

Copy to query window is already done. Delete all is simple to add.
Bigger management capability is probably too much for this release.

>  * should I add options to allow the change the filename?
>
> Not for the 1st iteration. Eventually would be parm on options window.
>
> In TD sql Assist, changing filename is not an option.  File is a jet MDB.
>
> I'll send if useful.

Nick Kitson asked for such a feature (for the favourites file, but this
is the same kind of code). That's why I'm proposing to do it right now.

>  * is there anything else I have to add?
>
> These might give you some ideas.
>
> Useful is a find command.  Searches sql statement for string. Presents list, then you can select to see the full sql.
(takesyou to edit window)

> History window
>
> Copy, the sql to the active query window.

Already done.

> The check saves the notes, edited query - top box is updateable.
>
> X discards the changes

I don't think we'll go that far.

> The amount of rows stored is a  option.  I have mine set to 5000 statements.

I find that one quite interesting. That also changes the Options window.

> [...]
> Thank you very much for working on this.

You're welcome :)

Glad you like it.

--

Date:
Le 28/01/2010 00:21, Mike Blackwell a écrit :
> On 1/27/2010 4:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
>>
>> OK, I have something like this working. See the screenshot to have a
>> look at it. Actually, it loads the file at startup. If you choose an
>> item, it puts the query in the query text box. If you execute a query,
>> it adds the query in the combobox and save the contents of the combobox.
>>
>> When writing the code, I had four questions:
>>
>>  * should we have a global history or a history per database? I prefer
>>    the former...
>>  * probably I need to add a Clear button?
>>  * should I add options to allow the change the filename?
>>  * is there anything else I have to add?
>>
>> Comments?
>>

> Looks like a nice idea.
>
> I often run a query, switch databases and run it again.  (Between e.g.,
> development and test database).  How will that work?

When you launch the query tool, it reads the histoqueries file and loads
its content into the combobox (if the file doesn't exist or if it's
empty, you'll have obviously an empty combobox). Each time you launch a
query, it gets added in the combobox and in the file. This way, if the
query freezes the window, you still have it in the histoqueries file, so
that, after you kill and restart pgAdmin, you can select it and change
your query quickly.

I still have to check if you have more than one query tool open. They
all will write in the same file, but their combobox will differ. Not
sure if this is a real issue, but it doesn't seem consistent.

>  Will the query end up in both histories?

Yes.

>  Will the current query text still remain in the text box when switching db's?

Yes.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: feture request

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:

>  * should we have a global history or a history per database? I prefer
>   the former...

Global.

>  * probably I need to add a Clear button?

Nah - just delete the file.

>  * should I add options to allow the change the filename?

Didn't you just add such an option for favourites? If so, yes. BTW,
how does this fit with the favourites - I wonder if it should always
list them too.

>  * is there anything else I have to add?

Not that I can think of offhand.

--
Dave Page

Re: feture request

From
Guillaume Lelarge
Date:
Le 28/01/2010 09:37, Dave Page a écrit :
> On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> <guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>
>>  * should we have a global history or a history per database? I prefer
>>   the former...
>
> Global.

Great :)

>>  * probably I need to add a Clear button?
>
> Nah - just delete the file.

When should it delete the file? do you mean that we should have a delete
button? in the option dialog?

>>  * should I add options to allow the change the filename?
>
> Didn't you just add such an option for favourites?

Not yet, I had the idea to add this feature with this one (ie one commit
for both features).

> If so, yes.

OK, will do.

> BTW, how does this fit with the favourites - I wonder if it should always
> list them too.

No, I don't think so. There's one thing that makes this a bit harder to
do: you can have folders in the favourites file.

>>  * is there anything else I have to add?
>
> Not that I can think of offhand.

OK.

--
Guillaume.http://www.postgresqlfr.orghttp://dalibo.com

Re: feture request

From
Dave Page
Date:
On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Guillaume Lelarge
<guillaume@lelarge.info> wrote:
>>>  * probably I need to add a Clear button?
>>
>> Nah - just delete the file.
>>

> When should it delete the file? do you mean that we should have a delete
> button? in the option dialog?

No, I mean the user can delete it. If possible (not likely, but might
be fun to figure out), it might be nice to add a remove icon (circle
with an X?) to the end of the combo box so individual queries can be
removed.

--
Dave Page

Re: feture request

From
"Little, Douglas"
Date:
Guillaume,
Looks great.  I think people will really like it.
Thanks for all the hard work.

Cheers!
Doug

Le 28/01/2010 10:04, Dave Page a écrit :

>>> Nah - just delete the file.
>>>

>> When should it delete the file? do you mean that we should have a delete
>> button? in the option dialog?
>
> No, I mean the user can delete it. If possible (not likely, but might
> be fun to figure out), it might be nice to add a remove icon (circle
> with an X?) to the end of the combo box so individual queries can be
> removed.

Here is the patch I intend to commit. I added a "Delete All" and a
"Delete Current" buttons. I didn't add code for the filename change, it
will be part of another patch.

See the screenshot to see how it looks on the query window.

There's probably more to do with this feature, like the maximum number
of statements to keep. I'll work on that later, probably not for the
next release.

Any more comments?

--

Date:
Le 31/01/2010 17:44, Little, Douglas a écrit :
> Guillaume,
> Looks great.  I think people will really like it.
> Thanks for all the hard work.
>
> Cheers!
> Doug

I changed a few things, the way we handle multiline queries for example.

Any last comments?

--
Guillaume.
 http://www.postgresqlfr.org