compiling pgadmin3 on suse 9.3

From
Miha Radej
Date:
hi!

firstly, i am very new to linux, so forgive me for asking stupid
questions (it's easy to install in windows. next, next, use defaults,
finish ;))

i have recently migrated to suse linux 9.3 and have, after hearing from
a friend having problems installing from fedora rpm's (suse 8.2 rpm
directory on the website gives a 404 error), tried to build pgadmin3 on
my system, following instructions on the website. after several tries
pgadmin3 is now operational.

upon executing the binary, i get the following error message:
Cannot convert from the charset '@LOCALE,UTF-8,ISO-8859-2,CP1250'!

after clicking ok, everything seems to work without problems. is this
message a result of using the "--enable-debug" switch? does it go away
if i were to build without that switch?

i also had the same problems as described here
http://www.mail-archive.com/pgadmin-support@postgresql.org/msg04040.html

which were solved after following dave's hint. is there an (easy) way to
avoid using 'LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib -lkrb5" ./configure ...' every time i
try to build pgadmin?

pgadmin3 has settled into the /usr/local/pgadmin3 directory. is this
the same on all systems? what i mean to ask is that the binary
/usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3 isn't in the default $PATH. i would
like pgadmin3 to root itself in the /usr/local/bin directory
(--prefix=/usr/local when configuring). is this generally a bad idea?

and even though i'm a linux newbie i'd like to try to look into
providing a rpm for suse 9.3, if there is any interest? this seems
interesting enough to me so i wanna play a bit :) i'll have to r some fm
first though.

thank you :)
regards,

Re: compiling pgadmin3 on suse 9.3

From
"Dave Page"

Is it a wxAssert message? If so, then yes, it will.

> i also had the same problems as described here
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pgadmin-support@postgresql.org/msg
> 04040.html
>
> which were solved after following dave's hint. is there an
> (easy) way to
> avoid using 'LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib -lkrb5" ./configure ...'
> every time i
> try to build pgadmin?

Probably, but I'm not a make expert so cannot advise on that.

> pgadmin3 has settled into the /usr/local/pgadmin3 directory. is this
> the same on all systems? what i mean to ask is that the binary
> /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3 isn't in the default $PATH. i would
> like pgadmin3 to root itself in the /usr/local/bin directory
> (--prefix=/usr/local when configuring). is this generally a bad idea?

Not really - it defaults to /usr/local/pgadmin3 as it's nicely self
contained there. Most of the precompiled distros will go into /usr/local
or /usr.

> and even though i'm a linux newbie i'd like to try to look into
> providing a rpm for suse 9.3, if there is any interest? this seems
> interesting enough to me so i wanna play a bit :) i'll have
> to r some fm
> first though.

Absolutely. There are some platform specific spec files already under
http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/pgadmin3/pkg/, however
I'd like to use a single file in the future rather than try to maintain
various one. I doubt it will be very difficult - it's just that noone
got round to it yet. If you wanna give it a go it sounds like an ideal
starter project.

Regards, Dave

Re: compiling pgadmin3 on suse 9.3

From
Miha Radej
Date:
hi again!

>>upon executing the binary, i get the following error message:
>>Cannot convert from the charset '@LOCALE,UTF-8,ISO-8859-2,CP1250'!
>>
>>after clicking ok, everything seems to work without problems. is this
>>message a result of using the "--enable-debug" switch? does
>>it go away
>>if i were to build without that switch?
>
> Is it a wxAssert message? If so, then yes, it will.

this is it: http://mcajvar.prkoritu.net/images/pga3_error.png
it doesn't really bother me. i'll try also on a friend's computer and if
he won't have such problems, it's probably something i've messed up
somewhere :)

> Absolutely. There are some platform specific spec files already under
> http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/pgadmin3/pkg/, however
> I'd like to use a single file in the future rather than try to maintain
> various one. I doubt it will be very difficult - it's just that noone
> got round to it yet. If you wanna give it a go it sounds like an ideal
> starter project.

:) i'll try to produce a working rpm for my friend first. i know perl a
little, [ba]sh is like german to me: i understand some words, i
recognize the letters but that's about it ;)

thank you for your quick answer!

regards,

Re: compiling pgadmin3 on suse 9.3

From
"Dave Page"

Hmm, I don't know what would cause that - I don't deal much with the
i18n/charset stuff. Does it go away in a non-debug build?

> :) i'll try to produce a working rpm for my friend first. i
> know perl a
> little, [ba]sh is like german to me: i understand some words, i
> recognize the letters but that's about it ;)

Ahh, that's the beauty of this project - no programming is required!
RPMs are built from a spec file which defines how that package is built
and what goes where. Istr that Redhat have comprehensive documentation
on the subject (as you might expect given that it's their technology!).

Regards, Dave.